Sex After the Loss of a Spouse - What Does the Bible Say?

Do you tell a new person in your life you don't do sex unless your married?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Again it is irrelevant . The first thing many do is check these statuses to form an opinion or to self determine whether one is friend or foe. That is the useless will of man, not the will of God.

you are not consistent in your postings...you both have a wife to loose and are relationship retired... hence make one question if you are a friend or foe...and your unwillingness to be open, brings it further into question...there is no reason to believe you have anyone's best interest at heart but your own...

now I am off to work

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I really can't vote on this one because the answer depends on the situation.
If it comes up, tell him. If it doesn't come up, he just may be of the same mind as you.

As far as I am concerned that is the most important thing in my next relationship. Likemindedness.

At our age we can afford to be picky. Or rather we can't afford to make a mistake for the few precious years we have left. I have a friend that made that mistake and she pays dearly in her walk with God and her sense of happiness.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2019
Hueytown
✟8,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've been a widow 2 1/2 years. First year was really rough, emotionally. However my libido is starting to kick in & I've looked at all kinds of stuff scripturally. 1 Corr. 7:9 …8 Now to the unmarried and widows I say this: It is good for them to remain unmarried, as I am. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.…

That being said, I have found it extremely difficult to meet what I would characterize as a "Godly" man. I came to the conclusion the Lord would open the doors he wants open & close those he wants closed. That has not really been the case. I'm very careful with my decisions & choices but boy it's been frustrating.

I would love to have a relationship (my husband was the best friend I ever had) but not at any price. None of us knows what will happen when the breath in us dies out. We have the promise of eternal life after death. I have the Lord, I have the Holy Spirit, I also have a desire for a full relationship.

I'm in a total quandary. I keep running into resistance from the men I meet. I don't think it's me. I think it's a sign of the times. I messed up once & I do not care to do that again.

How do you handle this mess?

What do you suggest a widow who was very sexually active before their spouse do with those urges? They exist because of a healthy God approved sex life. God acknowledges that this is something widows "burn" with when they had good marriages. "Get married" sounds great but how do we find these godly compatible men to marry so that we have an outlet for the desire we burn with?

I think you are taking a very shallow approach to a deep and real problem that requires more thoughtful guidance than "just don't do it" like is given to a teenager who is just starting out in life. We were sexually active and then suddenly aren't...nothing we did wrong...and it was an important way we expressed love and were loved.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2019
Hueytown
✟8,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I became a widow last December 2018 we weere martied for 36yrs when i was 18yrs old and I cannot imagine ever being able to Love another man... And so I am focusing on getting more intimate with Christ my "first love" I am learning to talk to him about "Everything"
On days when I am overwhelmed with grief as well as moments if loneliness when iI have thoughts of desire for intimacy and consider my options for my future I believe he will lead me in the right direction even if I end up like Mother Teresa He will Satisfy my Soul because I refuse to share mi bod with someone I do not Love deeply or bring someone into my home and around my children and grandchildren when no one could ever replace him in our family or in my heart. ❤

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The breeding days for many are over and we have done our jobs in carrying on the lineage. Friends are the focus now, intimate relationships are purely optional.

Breeding???? Because sex was designed only for procreation? I don't think so. To say that we are dried up as sexual human beings is really sort of sad. However, I was fully fertile when my husband died. Having more kids wasn't a priority. Figuring out to take care of the ones I was left to raise alone was.

I miss the intimacy and closeness that went with sex. However, after being alone for over 10 years and overwhelmed with just trying to survive, it isn't something I think about that much anymore.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The breeding days for many are over and we have done our jobs in carrying on the lineage. Friends are the focus now, intimate relationships are purely optional.

Is that the same advice you would give a man who says his 50 year old wife no longer is interested in having sex with him? Just that he is too old to be a new father and he should focus on being her friend and making new friends? That he should stop thinking about "breeding" and get on with life?

Ugh.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Breeding???? Because sex was designed only for procreation? I don't think so.
Many have that idea.

If you want 4 kids you should be able to do that at one per time, so you only have to debase yourself 4 times over your entire life.

that was pretty much how my wife came to our marriage.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that the same advice you would give a man who says his 50 year old wife no longer is interested in having sex with him? Just that he is too old to be a new father and he should focus on being her friend and making new friends? That he should stop thinking about "breeding" and get on with life?
the same could apply to a wife half that age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Exactly, it is a state of mind.

Actually, it is called exhaustion and sort of giving up.

I had a good marriage and I definitely miss that part of the relationship a lot. Unfortunately, time has had a effect on my self-esteem and although he adored me, I have given up on the idea that anyone else is likely to ever love me. Widowhood is bad for the self-esteem.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
That's what friends are for. We are not commodities. :)

We need friends but that isn't the same as a married relationship.

I don't understand what you mean by "commodities". What is not a commodity?

Being a widowed mother of two means there isn't much time, energy, or money for friends either. But that is a different thread.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We need friends but that isn't the same as a married relationship.

I don't understand what you mean by "commodities". What is not a commodity?

Being a widowed mother of two means there isn't much time, energy, or money for friends either. But that is a different thread.
I've started making friends this year (3rd year). I've found that after many years (while he was ill I only made acquaintances) my chats with people are leading to many people stopping to talk to me and wave etc. I don't see any difference in my behaviour but I have a very wide group of people that I speak to during the week.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
The iron age views of women as property, sex for breeding only, and property rights / lineage belong in the trash heap. I'd say the same for the idolatry of purity teachings of Bill Gothard and related who have destroyed many a marriage. This doesn't mean that errant "christian" sexual ethics like above can't work for a few, as they do for some, but not nearly as many as their proponents would like to think. I've run into far too many marriages that followed that junk that ended in divorce, or they settle for a sense of regret on the part of one or both partners for what might have been. Josh Harris, a naive protege of Gothards teaching made a movie a few years back to apologize for all the damage his book did. Granted, he was 21, so what did he know, but still...

We were created in the image of God, which includes desire. Consider our animal ancestors, the Bonobo for example who clearly engage in sex for purposes far beyond mere reproduction. Denying our anthropology to worship an idol of purity easily becomes a form of gnosticism. Granted, some folks are asexual, either biology, medical cause or were effectively made so due to abuse and/or errant "christian" sexual teachings such as the above, but this is not active denial.

Widowers/widows are in an odd spot, as many are outside the domain where reproduction is a factor. thus the iron age issues of property rights/lineage and related BS, such as church scandals, etc which primarily drive an idolatry of purity no longer apply, short of some gossipy church lady poking around where she has no business being. And at the same time, the desire for physical intimacy, sexual intimacy, and in some cases super high libido remain. For some widowers, its even trickier to navigate as an oldster in a nursing home than when they were a young teenager. In this, I think a healthier Christian sexual ethic would be better for all of Christianity, as contrasted with the "christian" falsehoods that are spun to prevent unwed motherhood and resultant scandal.

Otoh the severe changes in brain chemistry due to the loss of ones spouse, and the potential for things to go sideways shooting up multifold makes this not nearly as simple as it should be.

• Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

EvenIf

Jun 13, 2019
The South
✟17,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The iron age views of women as property, sex for breeding only, and property rights / lineage belong in the trash heap. I'd say the same for the idolatry of purity teachings of Bill Gothard and related who have destroyed many a marriage. This doesn't mean that errant "christian" sexual ethics like above can't work for a few, as they do for some, but not nearly as many as their proponents would like to think. I've run into far too many marriages that followed that junk that ended in divorce, or they settle for a sense of regret on the part of one or both partners for what might have been. Josh Harris, a naive protege of Gothards teaching made a movie a few years back to apologize for all the damage his book did. Granted, he was 21, so what did he know, but still...

We were created in the image of God, which includes desire. Consider our animal ancestors, the Bonobo for example who clearly engage in sex for purposes far beyond mere reproduction. Denying our anthropology to worship an idol of purity easily becomes a form of gnosticism. Granted, some folks are asexual, either biology, medical cause or were effectively made so due to abuse and/or errant "christian" sexual teachings such as the above, but this is not active denial.

Widowers/widows are in an odd spot, as many are outside the domain where reproduction is a factor. thus the iron age issues of property rights/lineage and related BS, such as church scandals, etc which primarily drive an idolatry of purity no longer apply, short of some gossipy church lady poking around where she has no business being. And at the same time, the desire for physical intimacy, sexual intimacy, and in some cases super high libido remain. For some widowers, its even trickier to navigate as an oldster in a nursing home than when they were a young teenager. In this, I think a healthier Christian sexual ethic would be better for all of Christianity, as contrasted with the "christian" falsehoods that are spun to prevent unwed motherhood and resultant scandal.

Otoh the severe changes in brain chemistry due to the loss of ones spouse, and the potential for things to go sideways shooting up multifold makes this not nearly as simple as it should be.

I’m confused why you would believe the bonobo is our animal ancestor.

Sex was created by God to be experienced within the confines of a marriage covenant. It’s that simple.

Upvote 0