• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Severely Anxious about Mild Atherosclerosis

stvns78

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Worth
✟10,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been a suffer of GAD most of my 42 years. I also suffer from ocular migraines occasionally. Last year I had a few episodes so I decided to see a neurologist. They did a Brain MRI and CT's of my head and neck with and with out contrast, showing all the arteries. The report came back that I had two pineal gland cysts which do not concern me much. I had very minor low lying tonsils, 5mm below the foramen magnum, which concerns me some. But the worst was the CT report saying that I had "Mild calcified atherosclerosis of the cavernous right internal carotid artery". This is what has me super anxious. I didn't think about these questions until later so I didn't get a chance to ask the neurologist yet.

1. Is having mild calcified atherosclerosis normal for a lower 40 year old man?
  2. If it is not normal is it possible to live heart attack and stroke free until life expectancy and beyond?
  3. With diet, exercise, BP control, etc, can this be completely halted?
  4. I have read conflicting information about the ability to reverse plaque from arteries without surgery, what is the truth?
  5. Is it possible that it was a mistake by the person who wrote the report? CTs seem to be very grainy and seems possible to me that a misc blip could be mistaken for plaque. Of course I cannot assume this.
  6. Anyone else have low lying tonsils that have not moved? He thinks it might be congenital.
  7. Anyone else have pineal cysts that have never gotten bigger? He also thinks this is congenital.
  8. Is it possible to make it to 85?
I am hoping for people to reassure me that it is not uncommon to have some mild plaque for a man in their 40's. I went through a period of about 7 years in my 30's when I was obese. I was a rail before this time and am now at a relatively healthy weight. I am on BP meds and 81mg aspirin, and exercising as much as possible.

Thanks!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been a suffer of GAD most of my 42 years. I also suffer from ocular migraines occasionally. Last year I had a few episodes so I decided to see a neurologist. They did a Brain MRI and CT's of my head and neck with and with out contrast, showing all the arteries. The report came back that I had two pineal gland cysts which do not concern me much. I had very minor low lying tonsils, 5mm below the foramen magnum, which concerns me some. But the worst was the CT report saying that I had "Mild calcified atherosclerosis of the cavernous right internal carotid artery". This is what has me super anxious. I didn't think about these questions until later so I didn't get a chance to ask the neurologist yet.

2. If it is not normal is it possible to live heart attack and stroke free until life expectancy and beyond?
  4. I have read conflicting information about the ability to reverse plaque from arteries without surgery, what is the truth?
  5. Is it possible that it was a mistake by the person who wrote the report? CTs seem to be very grainy and seems possible to me that a misc blip could be mistaken for plaque. Of course I cannot assume this.
  6. Anyone else have low lying tonsils that have not moved? He thinks it might be congenital.
  7. Anyone else have pineal cysts that have never gotten bigger? He also thinks this is congenital.
I am hoping for people to reassure me that it is not uncommon to have some mild plaque for a man in their 40's. I went through a period of about 7 years in my 30's when I was obese. I was a rail before this time and am now at a relatively healthy weight. I am on BP meds and 81mg aspirin, and exercising as much as possible.

Thanks!
You should present these questions to your doctor. We cannot give medical advise of this site. Sounds like you are taking the precautions needed though.

Upvote 0

stvns78

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Worth
✟10,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should present these questions to your doctor. We cannot give medical advise of this site. Sounds like you are taking the precautions needed though.
Not really asking for medical advise. I am asking if it is normal or not to have some mild artery plaque in the 40's. Asking for medical advise would be asking if I should take this medication or that medication or should I have this procedure or that procedure. Not asking that at all. I am asking for others life experiences.

And I plan on asking my doctor these questions. Just hoping for some reassurances.

Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been a suffer of GAD most of my 42 years. I also suffer from ocular migraines occasionally.
Oh I'm with you there. I'm incredibly glad they're gone for me after several years of getting worse.

Last year I had a few episodes so I decided to see a neurologist. They did a Brain MRI and CT's of my head and neck with and with out contrast, showing all the arteries. The report came back that I had two pineal gland cysts which do not concern me much. I had very minor low lying tonsils, 5mm below the foramen magnum, which concerns me some. But the worst was the CT report saying that I had "Mild calcified atherosclerosis of the cavernous right internal carotid artery". This is what has me super anxious. I didn't think about these questions until later so I didn't get a chance to ask the neurologist yet.

2. and 8. Most all of the Blue Zones *regions of the world where a higher than usual number of people live much longer than average* have a mostly whole food plant-based diet in common among other factors.
4. It can (though I'm not aware of the report in 5.)

I am hoping for people to reassure me that it is not uncommon to have some mild plaque for a man in their 40's.
It's common in America where most of us eat a SAD diet (aka Standard American Diet) filled with animal products and refined flour and fat products devoid of water and fiber. In parts of the world where they eat predominantly whole food plant-based diets atherosclerosis and heart disease are nearly unheard of.

I went through a period of about 7 years in my 30's when I was obese. I was a rail before this time and am now at a relatively healthy weight. I am on BP meds and 81mg aspirin, and exercising as much as possible.
Ah, but the real question nobody ever really wants to touch is: what are you eating? It frankly borders on malpractice that doctors are taught to prescribe you a lifetime of pills without informing you of the effectiveness of a whole food plant-based diet.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: stvns78
Upvote 0