Severe mood disorder child -- sees demons?

felixtl430

Mar 14, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!! I am new to this!! I have a 10 year old son that started to show behavioral issues at a very young age (4). From the time that his behavior problems started, so did his stories of seeing demons and satan at night in his room. He is still seeing these things and I don't know what to do. The school he goes to does not believe him because of his other problems? He tells me that demons are tormenting him at night. I don't know where to turn!!! Can someone offer me so help!!!!

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm puzzled by your school's reaction. Do they think he's making it up to get attention? You don't have to believe he's actually being demonized to believe that he's having a terrifying experience.

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1) He's making it up
2) He's actually experiencing demons
3) He's having nightmares or some other experience that's real to him, even though no actual demons are involved.

As his parent you probably can make a pretty good guess whether he's lying. I'd assume probably not. In that case I'd start with a doctor. Is someone treating him for the mood disorder? If so, I'd think this would be something they should help you deal with. It sounds likely that what he's experiencing is connected with his other problem. Otherwise, I'd treat it as recurrent nightmares, keeping open the possibility that something real is going on, whether demons or something he's misinterpreting. There are ways to help kids deal with nightmares. Your doctor should be able to help suggest approaches. For that matter, there are ways to deal with demons, though very much doubt that's what is going on. I'd think you'd want to rule out physical causes, and then help him develop a coping strategy to deal with whatever is happening, probably with the help of someone who has experience or training in dealing with nightmares and other kinds of terrifying fear.

Is he taking any drugs? Drug reactions can cause some pretty odd side effects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

felixtl430

Mar 14, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is on Wellbutrin and Abilify. He started seeing these things when he was only four years old. He did not start taking any medications until he was seven. His reporting of seeing these things has not changed. He is absolutely terrified to go to sleep at night and his doctors are not helping. I have brought it up to my pastor, but he has not taken it seriously either. I am not catholic, so maybe that is the problem? I just need to know how to deal with this and find others that have gone through the same kind of experience? I need to get my son the proper help!!

Thank you so much for responding!!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He is on Wellbutrin and Abilify. He started seeing these things when he was only four years old. He did not start taking any medications until he was seven. His reporting of seeing these things has not changed. He is absolutely terrified to go to sleep at night and his doctors are not helping. I have brought it up to my pastor, but he has not taken it seriously either. I am not catholic, so maybe that is the problem? I just need to know how to deal with this and find others that have gone through the same kind of experience? I need to get my son the proper help!!

Thank you so much for responding!!

I'm not a parent, so I don't have any experience with this. My impression was that psychologists can help with nightmares. Maybe that's not exactly what this is, but I'd think it would be a starting point. Have you talked to any other doctors? Just letting the kid be terrified for 8 years seems like bad medical care. If he's not getting sleep that could cause all kinds of other problems.

This forum is low-volume. You might want to try one of the recovery forums, i.e. an area where people who have been through this are likely to be. I'm concerned that the right people may not be reading this. Christian advice probably gets the most readers. You'll probably get all kinds of response, some it off the wall, but at least you'd be more likely to reach someone who might have relevant experience.

As far as I know, there are only a few churches that do real exorcism. Personally I really doubt it's actually demons, but the Catholics supposedly do still have exorcists, and I'm pretty sure they would consider all other possibilities first. I guess if all else fails it's a place to start. Charismatic denominations would probably also take it seriously, but I can't say what they'd do about it. But I'd think a pastor who doesn't believe in demons would still want to do something about a kid living in terror for most of his life. How could someone not take that seriously?

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does his behaviour wax and wane or is it constant? Does he appear to have OCD type symptoms?

I am fighting an ailment for my daughter that lead to her being terrified to go to sleep and suffering with OCD seemingly out of the blue. This many years later, you are probably fuzzy about some of early signs. My daughter has been recently diagnosed with PANDAS. Pediatric Autoimmune Neurological Disorder Associated with Strep. There is another similar condition that does not involve strep.

Either google the condition, or PM me if you wish to know of a forum where you can read up more on this condition if it at all sounds like it could fit your situation.

Upvote 0

Tonya12

Jun 10, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[No you don't have to be catholic to help your child. I want you to know that I have and will be praying for your child. Two good websites to read would be bible knowledge.com and great bible study.com they talk alot about this stuff. I pray for you and your family. There is spiritual help out there. Do not give up hope.-QUOTE=felixtl430;60031834]Hello!! I am new to this!! I have a 10 year old son that started to show behavioral issues at a very young age (4). From the time that his behavior problems started, so did his stories of seeing demons and satan at night in his room. He is still seeing these things and I don't know what to do. The school he goes to does not believe him because of his other problems? He tells me that demons are tormenting him at night. I don't know where to turn!!! Can someone offer me so help!!!![/QUOTE]

No

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatever you do, follow his doctors' directions regarding all medications.

On top of that, seek out a church that has a Deliverance ministry. That list includes Vineyard, many Assemblies of God to name a few. It is just prayer similar to Healing ministries.

Upvote 0

lrsenne07

Mar 28, 2015
✟7,621.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hello!! I am new to this!! I have a 10 year old son that started to show behavioral issues at a very young age (4). From the time that his behavior problems started, so did his stories of seeing demons and satan at night in his room. He is still seeing these things and I don't know what to do. The school he goes to does not believe him because of his other problems? He tells me that demons are tormenting him at night. I don't know where to turn!!! Can someone offer me so help!!!!

I am a 45 year old woman who had the exact same issues as a child. In fact, I still do. Your son IS under Demonic attack. My guess is he is a sensitive and/or also has the gift of spiritual discernment which especially makes him a target. When I was a child, a demon or demons used to talk to me in a demonic voice through my closet. This happened OVER and OVER again for years, and no one would believe me. No amount of psychological help or medication did anything. I stopped sleeping in my room and did not seem to be as affected in other rooms, so my guess is that is was a portal. I think something bad might have happened there in the past, and perhaps in your home too. I realize it is 3 years later, but if this is still going on please check the history of your home. If your son is not baptized have this done. I have begun studying to become a Catholic and it wasn't until I started really delving into Catholicism that I started to truly understand what was happening to me, and how being sensitive to spiritual energies can make you a target. The Devil's greatest trick is convincing us he doesn't exist. Talk to a Priest and help your son to grow in God's love. I think it will make a difference in both of your lives. God Bless.

Upvote 0

CFitz

Oct 25, 2016
North Carolina
✟7,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am a 45 year old woman who had the exact same issues as a child. In fact, I still do. Your son IS under Demonic attack. My guess is he is a sensitive and/or also has the gift of spiritual discernment which especially makes him a target. When I was a child, a demon or demons used to talk to me in a demonic voice through my closet. This happened OVER and OVER again for years, and no one would believe me. No amount of psychological help or medication did anything. I stopped sleeping in my room and did not seem to be as affected in other rooms, so my guess is that is was a portal. I think something bad might have happened there in the past, and perhaps in your home too. I realize it is 3 years later, but if this is still going on please check the history of your home. If your son is not baptized have this done. I have begun studying to become a Catholic and it wasn't until I started really delving into Catholicism that I started to truly understand what was happening to me, and how being sensitive to spiritual energies can make you a target. The Devil's greatest trick is convincing us he doesn't exist. Talk to a Priest and help your son to grow in God's love. I think it will make a difference in both of your lives. God Bless.

Yes, I completely agree with this. We were non-practicing Catholics when my 2 year old son began experiencing this same kind of thing. It was out of the blue. It escalated over a period of months, culminating one night when the demon named itself to him and began coming out of the wall (just like you see in those shows). He began screaming and covering his ears (it would talk to him) and pointing at the wall. At that point, I took authority over it in the name of Jesus Christ and cast it out of our home. Immediately - and I mean immediately, after months of harassment and torment, he stopped screaming/crying and calmed down. He said in his little toddler voice "it's okay now mama, it's all gone." I had taken him to doctors, and the last one I saw said to me "are you religious people?" I answered that we believed in God, but weren't exactly devout. He said "you're Catholic right? I think you need to consult your priest." That's when I began taking it seriously. If I hadn't used the name of Jesus Christ to bind the spirit and cast it out, it would have destroyed my son's life, but not only that, it would have destroyed my family, which is what I believe the end goal always is. There is no doubt about that in my mind. From that moment on, my husband and I began living our faith like never before, and now, 20 years later, we are extremely devout, as are our sons. Demons will target children who are sensitive to the spiritual world, which I believe my son is/was, and they will use that "portal" as an entry to the home and family. I believe this happens far more frequently than people would believe.

Upvote 0