• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I feel like I’ll never be able to get to the point where I can find community because of my conditions.

Hello Tiny,

Thanks for sharing your struggle. Perhaps it might be an idea to send an email to the pastor or leaders of your church, explaining the situation, raising the same issues in an email. Godly leaders and church members will make every effort to help you and support you as you join various activities.

In my church we have people with autism, social anxiety, severe physical disabilities, all sorts of issues. We have support persons and regular meetings about supporting everyone in the church.

It makes a Deacon's day to be able to support a brother or sister who needs help. :)

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recommend reciting Psalm 131 whenever you feel anxiety, as well as The Lord's Prayer. The former is basically, "Keep calm and trust God," in a nutshell. The latter is the model prayer as it prays for many things in a short, direct way. These have greatly helped me with my own anxiety and pride, and I strongly recommend giving these a try as often as possible. Sometimes you will have to keep reciting them on loop until you fully calm down. I had to do this a few times in my own life as well.

Childlike Trust in God
A song for going up to worship. Of David.
131 Lord, my heart is not proud.
I don’t look down on others.
I don’t do great things,
and I can’t do miracles.
2 But I am calm and quiet.
I am like a baby with its mother.
I am at peace, like a baby with its mother.

3 People of Israel, put your hope in the Lord
now and forever.
~Psalm 131:1-3 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 131 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 131 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 131 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 131 - International Children’s Bible

Jesus Teaches About Prayer
5 “When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites. They love to stand in the synagogues and on the street corners and pray loudly. They want people to see them pray. I tell you the truth. They already have their full reward. 6 When you pray, you should go into your room and close the door. Then pray to your Father who cannot be seen. Your Father can see what is done in secret, and he will reward you.

7 “And when you pray, don’t be like those people who don’t know God. They continue saying things that mean nothing. They think that God will hear them because of the many things they say. 8 Don’t be like them. Your Father knows the things you need before you ask him. 9 So when you pray, you should pray like this:

‘Our Father in heaven,
we pray that your name will always be kept holy.
10 We pray that your kingdom will come.
We pray that what you want will be done,
here on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us the food we need for each day.
12 Forgive the sins we have done,
just as we have forgiven those who did wrong to us.
13 And do not cause us to be tested;
but save us from the Evil One.’
[The kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours forever. Amen.]

14 Yes, if you forgive others for the things they do wrong, then your Father in heaven will also forgive you for the things you do wrong. 15 But if you don’t forgive the wrongs of others, then your Father in heaven will not forgive the wrong things you do.
~Matthew 6:5-15 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - International Children’s Bible

God bless!

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a medical condition. I do pray and read my Bible but this type of stuff shows up on brain scans. Prayer is important but I've been told to "just pray" all my life as if getting meds and therapy is wrong :(

I do not doubt at all that there are biological reasons behind it as well. Because biology is messy and part of fallen creation, I believe fasting was a form of physical therapy back in Biblical times (Mark 9:28-29, Matthew 17:19-21). However, with God all things are possible (Hebrews 11:1-40, Luke 1:37, 18:27, Mark 10:27, Matthew 19:26). If God can create the world in seven days, then why not help with your anxiety?

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Additional resources I can recommend is reading books about cognitive distortions, and how to train your mind to think more clearly. The Coddling of the American Mind, by Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff is a good read. Do NOT let the title turn you off.

Keep taking anxiety medications if needed, and give cognitive behavioural therapy a try as well. I also found thinking more positively, and using clean humour as a coping method also tremendously helped me. As the saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat!"

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I feel like I’ll never be able to get to the point where I can find community because of my conditions.

Being part of a community is a two way process.
You have to try to communicate and people in the community have to try to communicate with you.

May I suggest seeing if there are any small groups that meet, as you might find it easier to make contact with such a group.

Also how are you with small children? Could you volunteer to help in a crèche and get to know the mothers and other helpers that way.

How are you in one to one situations, could you help by visiting the house bound?

Can you talk to people over zoom?
Is it there physical presence or the thought of having to speak that causes anxiety?

Talk/email your minister about your problems and see what solutions he can come up with.

Upvote 0

tryphena rose

Daughter of the Most High
Jun 3, 2019
Idaho
✟46,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand where you're coming from sister. I too have dealt with social anxiety in my past which stopped me from doing many things and I know it can be very debilitating and isolating to deal with.

My first piece of advice is to NOT CLAIM IT. Don't keep telling yourself you have social anxiety and convince yourself you're stuck like this. That will only make you feel worse in the end. Instead, tell yourself you are a conqueror through Christ Jesus. No matter what the diagnoses is or what shows up on brain scans, it doesn't mean the Lord can't set you free from this issue in your life. Most doctors, I find, don't believe in God and therefore do not believe in the power of prayer or in miracles. Jesus is the great physician after all so we must continuously turn to Him for any infirmity or struggle.

I love this verse a lot and it's helped me greatly throughout the years.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Don't rely on your own strength to get you through this. God loves when we come to Him. He wants us to rely on Him and recognize our own weaknesses before Him, so that He can mold us and shape us into the Christian He desires us to be.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Despite how you may feel, don't let your feelings hinder you especially when it comes to being with a wonderful Church body. I felt terrible anxiety when I first started attending my previous church, which was the first place I ever got really involved. But once I got past my feelings, I made wonderful eternal friendships with my church family I now love so dearly. Remember, the devil wants nothing more then to steal your joy, get you to believe lies, keep you from other Godly believers and make you ineffective in a God-less and dying world.

Praying for you. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If this persists, seek the help of a Christian counselor, to ideally work through your anxieties and gently expose you to a bit of it at a time so you gain confidence in yourself to handle. I used to have to speak in front of large crowds of people on a regular basis and never totally got over the nervousness beforehand, but through lots and lots of practice, along with the Lord's strength, I overcame most of that to the point of being functional in large crowds. I remember one time my laser pointer on the screen was so embarrassing that I threw it away and got a stell telescoping pointer for all future use because that laser really exaggerated my shaking fingers in front of the large screen in presentations.

Reactions: tryphena rose
Upvote 0

Robert1849

Oct 31, 2021
PRIEST RIVER
Visit site
✟18,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know a gal who suffered from this for years. It kept her out of many social engagements including jobs. She does not have this issue any more after taking Ashwagandha pills. Research it, there are many places that sell it.

Upvote 0