Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement

Lauri4Him

Nov 11, 2005
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I belong to the Seventh-day Adventist Church. That being said, I am somewhat confused by the title of this forum "Reformed Seventh-day Adventist".

I have friends who belong to the "Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement" this is a world wide church group with a history that dates back to 1914 when the original church spilt into two groups during the WW1. At that time they became 2 different groups: Seventh-day Adventist and Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement.

So when I hear Reform and Adventist in the same sentence I think of them and find no association to the church I belong to.

Your sister in Christ,
Lauri

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Seventh-Day Adventist too.
My question is, What exactly is the Seventh-Day Reform Movement?
And how is it different from the SDA's?
There is a SDA Reform church in my city too & I just wonder what it is before I go there.

Perhaps it could be worded thus:

The reformed movement could be the uniformed movement.

But this can go both ways...

For, those who are trying to change/reform what traditional SDAs believe, are, in some ways, inculcating ideas that are actually contrary to what the Apostles taught.

Moreover, there are also those who are unwilling to break away from the traditional
mold that they've been indoctrinated by, thus refusing to see the errors of their ways. Anything that is foreign to what they believe is regarded as heresy, and is therefore shunned. They are not open to the justified change that some would like to bring about in the church, but would rather get those people who are promoting such ideas excommunicated from it.

What it all comes down to is that Christians should take a course in Exegesis and Hermeneutics, and actually learn how to study the Bible aright, while being completely honest with themselves and God when studying the Holy Scriptures. Thus this will serve to safeguard them from false teachings.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:
Perhaps it could be worded thus:

The reformed movement could be the uniformed movement.

But this can go both ways...

For, those who are trying to change/reform what traditional SDAs believe, are, in some ways, inculcating ideas that are actually contrary to what the Apostles taught.

Moreover, there are also those who are unwilling to break away from the traditional
mold that they've been indoctrinated by, thus refusing to see the errors of their ways. Anything that is foreign to what they believe is regarded as heresy, and is therefore shunned. They are not open to the justified change that some would like to bring about in the church, but would rather get those people who are promoting such ideas excommunicated from it.

What it all comes down to is that Christians should take a course in Exegesis and Hermeneutics, and actually learn how to study the Bible aright, while being completely honest with themselves and God when studying the Holy Scriptures. Thus this will serve to safeguard them from false teachings.
there is a seventh day adventist reform movement....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In the beginning of the war there were some members, as there are also in other places, who did not want to take part in war service, either because of their lack of unity, or because of fanaticism. They started to spread around their foolish ideas in the congregation by word and in writing, trying to convince others to do the same. They were admonished by the church, but because of their obstinacy they had to be put out, for they became a threat to internal and external peace."
Stuttgarter Neues Tagblatt
, September 26, 1918.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those disfellowshipped from the Seventh-day Adventist Church, not only in Germany but also in many other countries in Europe, had no intention of starting a new church. They were about 4,000 in number. Attempts at reconciliation with the main body were made just after the war, in 1920 and in 1922, but with no positive result. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Therefore, as their numbers increased, the Seventh Day Adventist Reform Movement was organized as a church, separate from the the main body of Seventh-day Adventists, when representatives from different countries met at Gotha, Germany, July 14-20, 1925. It is the purpose of the Reform Movement to continue with the original teachings and practices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
[/FONT]​
http://www.sdarmgc.org/origin.htm

here is their webpage....

http://www.sdarmgc.org/index.html

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
StormyOne said:
there is a seventh day adventist reform movement....

[/size][/font][/left]
http://www.sdarmgc.org/origin.htm

here is their webpage....

http://www.sdarmgc.org/index.html

I never denied that there was one.

The point in my post was: there are those who want to reform the SDA church in that they want to bring it back to those points upon which it has supposedly strayed. And there are those who want to reform it in that they want to bring it back to what they believe to be the apostolic faith/teachings.

Both sides, in some ways, do err theologically.

Upvote 0

silkcity

Apr 11, 2005
Jersey
✟198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NinadeDios777 said:
the church split in two? i hve never heard of that.what sort of things do the reformed churches believe and how are they different?

i think the differencehas something to do wtih the fac that "reformed" curch is more liberal on issues such as music, but i'mnot really sure.

if i remember my history correctly, the reform movement began in germany out of the refusal of a small group of christians to serve in the german army. the sda church went against the scripture and thought it okay for christians to violate the 10 commandments, or at least part of them. i think around this time is when the medical cadets program was started, to train christians for medical military service.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe its just where I live, but the reform movement is actually the traditionalist adventists, fighting back the newer things. Things like instead of focusing on prophecy, focus on expanding church growth. Things like, instead of not accepting earrings, accept earrings, and things like instead of singing emotional songs, sing hymns.

I myself am traditionalist. Though not extreme. I'm associated with a group that have completely broken themselves off. I associate myself with them for bible study. I have also been to their camp. I, however, am not part of it, and do not wish to be part of it. What really makes me edgy, is that they do not pay tithe to the church. I don't think this is right.

But yes, maybe we're just more... er, liberal, here.

Upvote 0
S

Sunrunner

I echo the sentiments of Windmill. Not all the reform SDA groups are attacking the traditional stuff... many are fighting off the "New Light" that is threatening our core beliefs.

I have studied the beliefs of the Creation Seventh-day Adventists (csda.us), as well as a few of the Historic Adventist ministries. I must say, many of these groups seem to reflect Adventism in its purest form and I am impressed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Telaquapacky

Unconquerable Good Will
Sep 5, 2006
Central California
✟8,170.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe that we as individual believers need to gain reform of ourselves by seeking a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit every day. There is no good reason to split from the church. We are the Church. If we can't be reformed, splitting off from the main body of the Church will do no good. If we are becoming reformed, the Church needs us to light a candle there. If we are truly reformed, we will not be pointing fingers, condemning and finding fault over nit-picky issues that have no clear Scriptural mandate.

Our church has a group that keeps all the Jewish Festivals. There's nothing wrong with that. But in private they say that you have to keep them. I have a problem with that. But I fellowship with these people and love them, and have on occasion attended their feasts, because I want to promote harmony and understanding on both sides. People who are seeking the truth the best way they know how need to be loved and encouraged in the faith, not marginalized.

I think all this spin-off madness is Satan's attack on the Church. You can only combat it with love. Satan can fight with arguments, but he hasn't yet figured out an effective counter-strategy to love.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Seventh Day Adventist Reform Movement is not liberal at all but began during WWI over the issue of military service. Their official website explains their history and beliefs.

The Reformed Seventh-day Adventist forum would perhaps be more accurately named the Progressive Seventh-day Adventist forum because it has nothing at all to do with the actual SDA Reform Movement (SDARM).

Upvote 0
S

Sunrunner

Whoa! I was googling the SDARM out of curiousity, and one of their outreach websites (not sure if it's official) talks about who the Reform Adventists are, and what their goals are. One of their goals is:

We are working for a one world government under God. (Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.)

I hope they are talking about Church government (i.e. General Conference)! Otherwise, that is disturbing.

Also, it's interesting to note that they believe that 144,000 is a literal prophetic number.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Whoa! I was googling the SDARM out of curiousity, and one of their outreach websites (not sure if it's official) talks about who the Reform Adventists are, and what their goals are. One of their goals is:

We are working for a one world government under God. (Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.)

I hope they are talking about Church government (i.e. General Conference)! Otherwise, that is disturbing.

Also, it's interesting to note that they believe that 144,000 is a literal prophetic number.
"The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased". ( Desire of the Ages pg 398)

We, as a people should have a spirit of progress. The bible often refers the process of refining and purifying. Through this process rubbish and defiling impurities are removed.

Why would the church be exept from this object lesson?
But one thing is certain, the necessary reformation will never be made unless men and women are helped by a power outside of themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JF5000

Oct 21, 2006
✟7,658.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I'm with you, on this one.

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
I belong to the Seventh-day Adventist Church. That being said, I am somewhat confused by the title of this forum "Reformed Seventh-day Adventist".

I have friends who belong to the "Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement" this is a world wide church group with a history that dates back to 1914 when the original church spilt into two groups during the WW1. At that time they became 2 different groups: Seventh-day Adventist and Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement.

So when I hear Reform and Adventist in the same sentence I think of them and find no association to the church I belong to.

Your sister in Christ,
Lauri

Can you tell me the fundamental differences between the two churches. I didn't realize this had happened. I knew about the branch dividians or the shepards rod but didn't know about the reformed movement.

Upvote 0