CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Assuming it's true (like NASA isn't lying to deceive us or trying to get our hopes up or anything), and assuming they could be habitable, I'd hope that faster-than-light travel could exist soon. The fact that there's seven Earth-like ones in one system is pretty awesome.

Although since they're much closer to their star it has me wonder if life (let alone us humans) could live on them without frying our eyeballs. They can't be sure if they're Earth-like enough yet aside from size and distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Earth like" does not mean it is like our Earth whereby people can live on these planets. Therein lies the deception. Also, they have not confirmed if these planets are actually like Earth in any way. They are still making huge guesses about these planets from far away. The chances of these planets being able to support life by the reports so far seems like a .... "zero." In Genesis God created the heavens and the EARTH (singular). This means that there are no other Earths out there. Sorry to let you down there folks. God and His Word are still true.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Earth-like" in terms of the article has a rather specific definition, so I don't see how that counts as a "deception".

It will be interesting to see what we are able to find out about planets so relatively near to us. While they may not be overly habitable, they have potential.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Earth like" does not mean it is like our Earth whereby people can live on these planets. Therein lies the deception. Also, they have not confirmed if these planets are actually like Earth in any way. They are still making huge guesses about these planets from far away. The chances of these planets being able to support life by the reports so far seems like a .... "zero." In Genesis God created the heavens and the EARTH (singular). This means that there are no other Earths out there. Sorry to let you down there folks. God and His Word are still true.

If another Earth ends up being found in the future, then what will you say?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If another Earth ends up being found in the future, then what will you say?

I do not need to worry about what I will say because it is not going to happen.

The Scriptures says,
"In the beginning, God created the Heaven and the EARTH." (Genesis 1:1).

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Earth-like" in terms of the article has a rather specific definition, so I don't see how that counts as a "deception".

It will be interesting to see what we are able to find out about planets so relatively near to us. While they may not be overly habitable, they have potential.

When I say that a guy looks dog like, he has to resemble a dog in some way in appearance in order for him to be dog like. If I tell people that we found Earth like planets, the first thing they are going to think is hurray, we can get off this horrible rock and go somewhere better. To be "Earth like" it has to be a planet that has got to be able to support life in some way.

So there should be no celebrations by atheists as a result of this find whereby they can claim Christians are all wrong now.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do not need to worry about what I will say because it is not going to happen.

The Scriptures says,
"In the beginning, God created the Heaven and the EARTH." (Genesis 1:1).

People make hypothetical questions all the time even if there's no chance of it actually happening, and people answer. That's how thought experiments are done. The least you could do is answer the thought experiment.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JD16
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People make hypothetical questions all the time even if there's no chance of it actually happening, and people answer. That's how thought experiments are done. The least you could do is answer the thought experiment.

But in this case, it is just not even a possibility. I ony entertain thoughts of what I might say or do if such a thing was a possibility. Seeing I do not believe that this could ever happen, I do not need to worry about what I would say.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But in this case, it is just not even a possibility. I ony entertain thoughts of what I might say or do if such a thing was a possibility. Seeing I do not believe that this could ever happen, I do not need to worry about what I would say.

She's saying that if and when it does happen, however slim or impossible for it to happen, what would you say in this unlikely situation?
Kind of like, what you would ask, or say to batman, or superman.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So there should be no celebrations by atheists as a result of this find whereby they can claim Christians are all wrong now.
Atheism has nothing to do with this possible discovery.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She's saying that if and when it does happen, however slim or impossible for it to happen, what would you say in this unlikely situation?
Kind of like, what you would ask, or say to batman, or superman.

Superman is not a possibility seeing there is no alien life on other planets.
If a real to life batman existed, I would say to him,

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Romans 12:19).

Anyways, this kind of reminds me of a report I heard when I was a kid. When I was little and living in Cleveland at the time, I remember a report from the Cleveland Plaindealer that a guy had dressed up as spider man and clmbed one of the buildings in downtown Cleveland. Needless to say he was arrested (Thereby ending his superhero career).

In any event, I do not see the discovery of another Earth like planet happening because Genesis 1:1 makes it very clear that there is only one Earth and not two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Earth like" does not mean it is like our Earth whereby people can live on these planets.

I think the excitement is not that humans could live there, but planets in that zone could possibly have oceans. Meaning the possibility of finding actual 'alien life' is higher then say one of the planets in our solar system.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In Genesis God created the heavens and the EARTH (singular). This means that there are no other Earths out there. Sorry to let you down there folks. God and His Word are still true.

No worries there. They would probably give it an odd designation. So there would still just be one earth.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheism has nothing to do with this possible discovery.

Discovering facts and the interpretation of those facts are two different things. The interpretation of the facts presented by scientist who are atheists are slanted towards their world belief of atheism.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I say that a guy looks dog like, he has to resemble a dog in some way in appearance in order for him to be dog like. If I tell people that we found Earth like planets, the first thing they are going to think is hurray, we can get off this horrible rock and go somewhere better. To be "Earth like" it has to be a planet that has got to be able to support life in some way.

Not necessarily. In this case, they have the temperature range that is comparable with earth, likely rocky and capable of having liquid water. Even being capable of supporting life doesn't mean that we could just drop onto it right away anyway.

Also, people are routinely called "dogs" because of their behavior, appearance notwithstanding. ;)

I don't know how many Christians hold the same belief that life cannot exist elsewhere in the universe, but this discovery has nothing at all to do with Atheism and it's not about whether Christianity is right or wrong or whether this potential discovery supports a conclusion either way.

Upvote 0