Seth Abramson: The impeachment isn't about Donald; it's about Democracy

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Seth Abramson on Twitter

Reprinted here for the Twitter-impaired:

The Senate impeachment trial will primarily be a vote on whether to abolish the Impeachment Clause of the Constitution—because if a president can categorically deny Congress all witnesses and all documents whenever he feels like it, there *is* no Impeachment Clause anymore.

One of the first steps to ending a democracy and erecting an autocracy is making it legally impossible to remove the head-of-state. Do I think many D.C. Republicans are aiming for that? Of course not. But a vote to acquit on Contempt of Congress pushes us toward autocracy.

By the same token, a vote to acquit on this particular Abuse of Power allegation is a vote in favor of foreign governments getting a say in our elections. So if the Senate GOP votes to acquit on Abuse of Power, your vote just lost 75% of its power. Please understand that.

So the question becomes, if what's at stake in the impeachment trial is no more or less than (a) the U.S. remaining a democracy, and (b) our elections remaining free and fair, how much marching and protesting should Democrats and all patriotic Americans be doing right now?

The Democrats—in a major paradox—are bad at politics. They're struggling to explain a simple point: if you want a DEMOCRACY, and if you want FREE & FAIR ELECTIONS, your vote on impeachment must be to convict. If you want AUTOCRACY and FOREIGN-RUN ELECTIONS, vote to acquit.

There *is* no "But I *like* Trump!" The impeachment is about *much more* than Trump. Once the Impeachment Clause and prohibitions against foreign interference in our elections are gone, they DO NOT RETURN. They are PERMANENTLY GONE. So all Americans should act accordingly.

So why do I support impeachment? And why do many of you? Because we want to live in a *democracy*. We want our votes to matter. And when a president acts like an autocrat, upends rule of law, and destroys our electoral process, that president doesn't get to stay in office.

Republicans imply America will get ripped apart if our democracy and elections are protected. NO. The result of IMPEACHMENT is Trump retires to start Trump TV and make—for the first time—billions, and Pence becomes POTUS. Does that thrill me? No—but it's the actual result.

So here's the bargain the GOP is howling about. They must choose between (1) President Trump, autocracy, foreign-run elections OR (2) President Pence, Trump as Trump TV CEO, democracy, and free and fair elections And right now *100% of the GOP* is leaning to Option #1.

My message to Democrats or Republicans in Congress scared to choose the *actual* right answer—Option #2—is this: you have skillsets; you have value; you *will* get a job if your constituents vote you out because they want autocracy and foreign-run elections. So calm down.

Man's got a point.

Thoughts?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Seeing this claim for the first time, my first reaction is "conspiracy theory".

My second reaction is 'distraction from a sensible thread'.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Seth Abramson on Twitter

Man's got a point.

Thoughts?

Indeed. If Trump can't be impeached, who can be? Why does it require murder, theft, or stains on a blue dress only... but not threatening to sell your country's interests out to a slavic autocrat for a bit of dirt on a potential rival candidate?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hillary Clinton has been accused of multiple things, has been thoroughly investigated, has testified for hours and in the end there was nothing to charge her with. She has been the victim of the biggest smear campaign that I can remember. To me she is not particularly likeable but she is intelligent, competent and experienced. And, oh yes, she is not a habitual liar.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hillary Clinton has been accused of multiple things, has been thoroughly investigated, has testified for hours and in the end there was nothing to charge her with. She has been the victim of the biggest smear campaign that I can remember. To me she is not particularly likeable but she is intelligent, competent and experienced. And, oh yes, she is not a habitual liar.

Or if she is, she's at least a talented one.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The Senate impeachment trial will primarily be a vote on whether to abolish the Impeachment Clause of the Constitution—because if a president can categorically deny Congress all witnesses and all documents whenever he feels like it, there *is* no Impeachment Clause anymore."

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Seth Abramson on Twitter

Man's got a point.

Thoughts?

Think GoT with even stupider, more ruthless, and less principled players.

Knights can slay knights any time they’d like to try, but should a serf kill a knight, (or a knight kill a lord off the field of battle), there’s going to be BIG trouble for the lower caste.

Like it or not Trump is the President and by that fact “earns” the right to sit at the Ruling Class’s Table.
If they “take him down”, yes, they’ll be somewhat hypocritical in that [while] for using the Ruling Class’s own rules to do it, they’ll’ve had done something out of the normal order of things, which is what supporters of the President will say he’s charged with! “Doing ‘things differently, 7th dimension chess’, he’s too smart for THEM!”, and they’ll hammer on like “BENGHAZI”.
Just you watch!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Or if she is, she's at least a talented one.
Not to go too far off topic but this “corrupt Joe Biden” meme that Trump is trying to gin up...Joe’s FAMOUSLY UNRICH, if he’s a criminal, he sure ISN’T a talented one!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not to go too far off topic but this “corrupt Joe Biden” meme that Trump is trying to gin up...Joe’s FAMOUSLY UNRICH, if he’s a criminal, he sure ISN’T a talented one!

True... either Biden is far less talented at being a criminal, or he's far more talented at being an honest and decent human being than the incumbent.

Neither of these should come as any surprise.

Upvote 0