✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
US attorney general discussed Trump campaign with Russia envoy: report

I don't anything see illegal or wrong with this, other than the hundreds of times that this was lied about, including to Congress.

Personally, I believe that Trump people are being put in impossible positions by the White House and White House staff. Was Sessions told to prevaricate? Was Junior? Was Flynn?

I understand that it seems that these folks are simply dishonest. I suspect that there is more. My understanding is that when caught, Junior want to set the record straight with the true details, and that wasn't allowed by the white House, who wrote at least one of the communications from Trump Junior. Kushner has the same instincts. When caught, admit everything. I don't think that this is a strategy that is acceptable to the White House.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It quoted one former official as saying the intercepts suggest Sessions and Kislyak had "substantive" talks on issues including Trump's positions on Russia-related subjects and prospects for bilateral relations in a Trump administration. (US attorney general discussed Trump campaign with Russia envoy: report)
I'm the Russian Ambassador and I get a chance to talk with Sessions who is involved at a high level with the Trump campaign. What do you expect me to want to talk about, bread pudding recipes or policy? Maybe he just stopped by to share a bottle of vodka and play a nice game of chess.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm the Russian Ambassador and I get a chance to talk with Sessions who is involved at a high level with the Trump campaign. What do you expect me to want to talk about, bread pudding recipes or policy? Maybe he just stopped by to share a bottle of vodka and play a nice game of chess.
Just playing advocate here, but Sessions was a Senator at that time. He could have met with the Russian ambassador to discuss Syria; he did sit on the Armed Forces committee.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
US attorney general discussed Trump campaign with Russia envoy: report

I don't anything see illegal or wrong with this, other than the hundreds of times that this was lied about, including to Congress.

Personally, I believe that Trump people are being put in impossible positions by the White House and White House staff. Was Sessions told to prevaricate? Was Junior? Was Flynn?

I understand that it seems that these folks are simply dishonest. I suspect that there is more. My understanding is that when caught, Junior want to set the record straight with the true details, and that wasn't allowed by the white House, who wrote at least one of the communications from Trump Junior. Kushner has the same instincts. When caught, admit everything. I don't think that this is a strategy that is acceptable to the White House.

These things look like a predicate to someone "taking one for the team" just to get Trump out of office...

They used to do it that way in old Rome. A particularly awful ruler like Nero or Caligula takes power...and everyone starts thinking "how can we put an end to this nonsense?" Their solution was almost always for someone close to them to end their life...as there was no other way to end their reign. The people who convinced such people knew it was for the good of Rome...but executed the assassin anyway.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just playing advocate here, but Sessions was a Senator at that time. He could have met with the Russian ambassador to discuss Syria; he did sit on the Armed Forces committee.
He didn't start meeting with foreign ambassadors until joining Team Trump.

Sessions was one of Trump’s earliest supporters, hosting a massive rally for him in Mobile, Alabama, in August 2015, just two months after Trump announced his unlikely bid for the presidency. But Sessions’s official involvement with the campaign didn’t begin until March 3, 2016, when Trump named him chairman of the campaign’s national-security advisory board. The first meeting with a foreign ambassador on the list his office provided—with Elena Poptodorova, the Bulgarian ambassador to Washington—took place about a month later, on April 14, 2016. There were no ambassadorial meetings documented in 2016 before Sessions’s March appointment to the campaign. (Why Did Jeff Sessions Really Meet With Sergey Kislyak? The attorney general says he was acting as a senator, but a review of his activities that summer shows ambassadors seeking him out as a Trump surrogate.)
It's pretty clear what is going on here, ambassadors were meeting with him because he was a Trump surrogate. It's not the meetings, it's the fact he was not forthcoming with the meeting with the Russian Ambassador.

• Agree
Reactions: CitizenD
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

According to the reporting I've seen there are intercepts indicating he discussed campaign issues. I think this is an attempt to get rid of him by the WH though.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
According to the reporting I've seen there are intercepts indicating he discussed campaign issues. I think this is an attempt to get rid of him by the WH though.
This isn't exactly a startling or dramatic revelation, Sessions even mentioned in his confirmation hearing that he had been called a Trump surrogate. It seem pretty clear in foreign diplomatic corps that exactly what he was.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the reporting I've seen there are intercepts indicating he discussed campaign issues.
Yes that is what 'they' are saying. But the intercepts are not recordings of Sessions himself.

• Agree
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pretty sure McCain shut down that defense during Session's Senate hearing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Flynn and Mannafort likely have or will make deals. Relatives of course don't have to make a deal; they will be pardoned if necessary.

These things look like a predicate to someone "taking one for the team" just to get Trump out of office...

They used to do it that way in old Rome. A particularly awful ruler like Nero or Caligula takes power...and everyone starts thinking "how can we put an end to this nonsense?" Their solution was almost always for someone close to them to end their life...as there was no other way to end their reign. The people who convinced such people knew it was for the good of Rome...but executed the assassin anyway.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it would be best to wait on all of that until someone comes up with at least one thing that could pass for evidence.
I think a lot of the discussions are more 'what ifs' and they can be interesting and educational discussions.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to see how getting rid of the Atty General could possibly benefit the president.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of the discussions are more 'what ifs' and they can be interesting and educational discussions.
Then we would expect the title of the thread, the OP, and subsequent posts to be the kind that you are referring to. They are not that, however, as we see.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then we would expect the title of the thread, the OP, and subsequent posts to be the kind that you are referring to. They are not that, however, as we see.
I agree but sometimes it takes pointing out that the evidence may not be accurate because there is no name tied to the source. Therefore, the public cannot hold the source responsible for what they have said. Therefore, they may not be telling the truth; they may not even be who they claim to be. How well did the media vet them?
Even after it has been pointed out and some have agreed, we will continue with the discussion for the reasons I stated. At least I do. Maybe I'm just a strange, lone wolf.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much. I mean, this came out like a day after Trump said that he regretted appointing him. Donald better be careful, though, as he is playing with fire if this is a plan to force out Sessions. The media and Congressional Democrats have already lost their minds with Russia.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Pretty much. I mean, this came out like a day after Trump said that he regretted appointing him. Donald better be careful, though, as he is playing with fire if this is a plan to force out Sessions. The media and Congressional Democrats have already lost their minds with Russia.
Rion, this is serious matter here, it's not on the same level as birthism. You can't play the "both parties are the same" card.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rion, this is serious matter here, it's not on the same level as birthism. You can't play the "both parties are the same" card.
True, I guess. The crimes, misdeeds, and collusion engaged in by the Democratic Party and its nominee are much more serious.

Upvote 0