Serious Question, Does God hate "Some" people ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean I know that He loves humanity in a general sense because He gave us His Son so we could have forgiveness, but I'm asking does God hate "some" people on an individual bases because of their sin and hatred for him ? (Esau ? )

People who have blasphemed The Holy Spirit and have no chance or even a desire for redemption and people who worship the Beast and take the mark of the Beast does God hate them ?

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean I know that He loves humanity in a general sense because He gave us His Son so we could have forgiveness, but I'm asking does God hate "some" people on an individual bases because of their sin and hatred for him ? (Esau ? )

People who have blasphemed The Holy Spirit and have no chance or even a desire for redemption and people who worship the Beast and take the mark of the Beast does God hate them ?
Bible is written in a human language, therefore its antropomorphical.

Bible says God regrets, hates, loves, sees, hears etc. But imagine this not as human things, but in their most idealistic states, without human anger, pain, evil, emotions, weaknesses, with perfect peace, complete knowledge...

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think God hates people he just hates evil and sin. For God so loved the world he gave his only son.

The devil hates people and loves sin and accuses and condemns everyone for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think God hates people he just hates evil and sin. For God so loved the world he gave his only son.

The devil hates people and loves sin and accusing everyone for it.
  • Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity."
  • Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
  • Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."
  • Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
  • Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."
Bible does claim that God hates some people.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity."
  • Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
  • Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."
  • Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
  • Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

Yes he hates sin not the sinner. None of those bible verses say he hates the person just the sin. The word for wicked in hebrew means one who is lead astray.

Feet, hands, pride, eyes... It doesn't say he hates the person. He hates sin. Not people or he wouldn't send his son to delivery them.

I get your point though. These are however OT verses from the Hebrew bible translated into English so they sound like hate. Hebrew words describe the sin as one who is lead astray... and God cannot stand before sinners. So he made all those covenants and the ark so he could be with people.

Sin in hebrew means 'missing the mark'.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes he hates sin not the sinner. None of those bible verses say he hates the person just the sin.
All these verses say he hates the persons. So, not sure what (translation) you read.

I think its a better approach to acknowledge these verses and understand that God's hate is not like ours.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All these verses say he hates the persons. So, not sure what (translation) you read.

I think its a better approach to acknowledge these verses and understand that God's hate is not like ours.

I read the Hebrew version of the OT. The original language. English is not even close to the Hebrew bible.

So in Hebrew God hates one's 'missing the mark' and loves them enough to want to send his son on earth to save us all from the penalty of sin.

God is a God of love not hate.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Individually? Sure, if you don’t mind some of the surrounding synonyms. If we reject Jesus. “, , the wrath of God abides on him." (John 3:36)

Of course, you can see the difficulty. For the scores of such folks in the world, that is, all of them, I think the Lord can direct His wrath without being subject to the task of all that hate. True, we can’t go anywhere where He isn’t, still, it is not altogether easy just to find the Lord’s ears open to everyone’s prayers, so there is some consideration given to His attention. But when His acts of despising or hate is seen, it is both individually and collectively.

My anger may burn against them and consume them.

(Exodus 32:10)​

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It does not mean how we hate.

We have how God loved us, "when we were enemies" (Romans 5:10) >

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus," (Ephesians 2:4-6)

So, I now see here how God loving us means taking action. In this case, while we were sinners and dead and enemies . . . even though God hates sin and hated us and His wrath was upon us . . . He then loved us > took action of loving and doing good to us.

So, love, in God's case, does not only mean having nice feelings about someone. It means God is doing something to love someone.

Another example > if God loves His children, God corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-14.

But does God love Satan's children by taking action to correct them, by changing them to be holy in His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness"?

No.

But God does take action of hating Satan's children > "God resists the proud" (in James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5).

But people in our selfish way of hating are stewing against ones who do not give us what we want, or against people who have hurt us. But God in His hate is taking good action against evil people, including how He resists the proud.

But Jesus has us specialize in loving enemies, by praying for them and doing them good.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

"Hate" in Bible language can carry the idea of less favor or love less:

Genesis 29:30-31 "And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren."

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

God did not hate Esau the individual. In Malachi 1:2-3 (Romans 9:13), Esau and Jacob's names are being used for their prodigy, Edomites and Israel (Genesis 36:8). Esau and Jacob had been dead for centuries. God had less love for Edomites compared to Israel. God's "hate" for Edom was not some capricious, predetermined hate before the world began. Ezekiel 25:12-14 Edom sinned and God brought judgement against them for their sin.

In other places where it says God 'hates' as Proverbs 6:16-18, does not mean God literally hates the literal fleshy tongue or feet but that He hates the sin produced by the tongue and feet. A figure of speech, metonymy, where one thing (tongue, feet) is used in place of another (sin). God hates a sinner is where the sinner is used in place of the sin the sinner commits.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If we define hate by what it does, then we could easily answer this question by asking if God ever hurts people, if he ever hurts them badly, with no hope for redemption and no plan for ultimate good for them. Physically, we see God hurt people all throughout the Old Testament, and I don't mean Job, who was ultimately restored. We see him open up the ground to swallow some unauthorized priests. We see God hardening Pharaoh's heart just to give God a chance to really let him have it. We see him hating a tribe so much that merely killing all of the people isn't enough: he has to kill the livestock as well.

And we have people saying that God does not hate, but then, even for us New Testament folk we have the question of Hell. People are so averse to the idea of a God who hates, that they have made Hell into a sentient being of its own, a god beside God, against whom God will not compete. It created itself, or it went rogue from God's original purpose, and it swallows up people by the millions, and God is helpless to stop it. If, on the other hand, God gave it its fire, then God made it the everlasting torment that it is, and he willingly hurts people. If God has any means to stop people from going there, even one person, whether he appear to them in visions, or whether he simply removes Hell completely and replaces it with something less abysmal, and if God does not do it, then he hurts people in a way best described as hate. People comfort themselves against an angry God by painting him to be a weak one.

People see danger in the belief that God hates. If God hates, then they think that we will feel justified to hate, but that's exactly what makes our hatred unacceptable. We have not the authority of God, and we have no right to hate. Yet, those same people would take away God's right to hate. They may not bring themselves up to the level of godhood, but they bring God down to the level of a mere sinner. So, what harm does it do to believe that God does not hate if such is not the case? Simply stated, it causes us to follow after a God that does not exist. Moreso, it causes us to loathe God, who does exist.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Understand that hate is the absence of love and sin is the absence of God. When one separates himself from God through sin he separates himself from God's love. It is the sin that drives us from God, not an action from God or a predisposition of Him to hold others in antipathy. To be hated by God is to be immersed in sin and thus separated from God's love. It is you who create this, not God. Confess your sins, seek His forgiveness and follow His commandments if you want to remove that sin and receive His love. He sent His Son to die for YOUR sins out of love. If you refuse that sacrifice and choose evil over good it is you who hate; you who condemn yourself.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
For those who claim "God does not hate" but "loves the sinner" or "loves less"; consider the implication of what that means.

If God "loves" me that I end up paying for my own sin; what kind of "love" is that.... really?

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Understand that hate is the absence of love and sin is the absence of God. When one separates himself from God through sin he separates himself from God's love. It is the sin that drives us from God, not an action from God or a predisposition of Him to hold others in antipathy. To be hated by God is to be immersed in sin and thus separated from God's love. It is you who create this, not God. Confess your sins, seek His forgiveness and follow His commandments if you want to remove that sin and receive His love. He sent His Son to die for YOUR sins out of love. If you refuse that sacrifice and choose evil over good it is you who hate; you who condemn yourself.

Yet we all are sinners, so if God's "love" or "hate" is predicated upon sin, than how does He "love" some and "hate" others?

I do agree with you that sin is what condemns people. (We aren't talking about "double predestination".) The wages of sin is death and that death ultimately manifests as the wrath of God.

The question then becomes upon what foundation is God's love based on? The answer to that is "for those Christ atoned for". Which gets into doctrine of election and "limited atonement".

What predicates God's choice to atone for some and not others? That we don't know. All we know is that God's choice was settled before the foundations of the world an that it was not based on anything the individual did or didn't do; because all are dead in Adam and left to our own devices we don't want Christ / God anyways.

Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess it depends on which Calvinist you ask. Arthur Pink wrote that God only loved the Elect and hated the non-Elect. John MacArthur criticized that view and said God loved everyone.

Upvote 0