United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is it and why is it wrong?
The decision of the Russian churches to ally themselves with the Communist regime, and completely support it's atheistic doctrines. What's WRONG with that should be obvious.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The decision of the Russian churches to ally themselves with the Communist regime, and completely support it's atheistic doctrines. What's WRONG with that should be obvious.

You are very correct, but it's especially easy for those of us who live in the west where we're generally safe from persecution, and the dangers that accompany it to say "I'd NEVER do something like that! How cowardly!". That said I'm not trying to point any fingers at you, as you haven't said that. I'm merely making a point.

I'm certainly not advocating for it, and it's a known and identified heresy. I'm just saying that it's awfully easy for us to judge their decisions from the comfort of our religious freedom. For the record I'm a staunch opponent of communism, and think it's a horrifying system/ideology.

Food for thought.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
the Kingdom of God cannot be equated with any fallen political system.
That is something I don't understand. When I hear about "Sergianism", it looks like it talks about a specific event (Soviet Union) but you Father make it sound like it is something more general.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is something I don't understand. When I hear about "Sergianism", it looks like it talks about a specific event (Soviet Union) but you Father make it sound like it is something more general.

well, it was specific to communism. but what made it a heresy was trying to unite a totally secular worldview to the Church.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
well, it was specific to communism. but what made it a heresy was trying to unite a totally secular worldview to the Church.
What about the Roman Empire, the Russian/Serbian/(insert Slavic Empire) and even the Ottoman Empire? The Orthodox Church cooperated with them yet there was no Council calling them heretical?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about the Roman Empire, the Russian/Serbian/(insert Slavic Empire) and even the Ottoman Empire? The Orthodox Church cooperated with them yet there was no Council calling them heretical?

working with a worldly government is one thing. uniting to it is another.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
if you are only working with a government, the Church still retains its prophetic voice to call out the state when it falls into sin.
Ok, what about when Emperors replaced bishops? Didn't it happen with St. Photius?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sergianism is not dead. What the EP and CoG done in Ukraine is sergianism. That is making the Church and her canons subservient to the wishes of a hostile government. Sergianism is when the Church folds and appeases the earthly masters aligned against it to avoid the pressure they put on you.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wait so an Emperor calling councils and changing bishops is not Sergianism? I'm really confused
Sergianism is when the governmental system that is opposed to your very existence dictates the terms with which you can be tolerated and you agree to it.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Like the Ottoman Empire?
Not really. The Ottomon empire set up their minorities so they can be ruled by their own customs. One of the elders explained that God showed mercy on the Greeks by placing them under the Turks . That's because you can get away with anything in the Ottomon days as long as you bribed the authorities. The Turks made it hard but they never tried to co-opt the Church. The Ottomons created the Millet system giving autonomy to each minority community basically as wiki puts it:

In the Ottoman Empire, a millet was an independent court of law pertaining to "personal law" under which a confessional community was allowed to rule itself under its own laws..

Upvote 0