Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "You can't silence me", files: Sen. Hawley: It’s time to stand up against the muzzling of America

Have you checked your social credit score lately? You might want to. Mine seems to have taken a nosedive this month. You might want to see how yours is doing.
Like the old-fashioned kind of credit score, your social credit requires a lot of maintenance. You’ll need to get good grades in school and stay out of trouble with the law. But that’s just the start — you have to earn your right to live in polite society these days. So if you want to get a good job, stay at hotels and be served at restaurants, you will need to do a few other things. You will need to voice the right opinions. You will need to endorse the right ideas. You will need to conform. That’s what the corporate chieftains tell us, anyway.

They tried to reprimand me this month because I didn’t. On behalf of the voters of my state, I raised a challenge to the presidential electors from Pennsylvania after that state conducted the election in violation of the state constitution. Maybe you agree with me. Maybe you don’t. But whatever your view, corporate America’s rush to cancel those it dislikes should trouble you.
I for one am not going to back down. My book will be published, and I will continue to represent the people of my state without fear or favor, whatever the left or the corporations say.

The powerful see in the present moment an opportunity to consolidate their control over society and to squelch dissent. That means those who believe in the First Amendment and the fundamental principles of American liberty must now take a stand, while we still can
.​

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From the "You can't silence me", files: Sen. Hawley: It’s time to stand up against the muzzling of America

Have you checked your social credit score lately? You might want to. Mine seems to have taken a nosedive this month. You might want to see how yours is doing.
Like the old-fashioned kind of credit score, your social credit requires a lot of maintenance. You’ll need to get good grades in school and stay out of trouble with the law. But that’s just the start — you have to earn your right to live in polite society these days. So if you want to get a good job, stay at hotels and be served at restaurants, you will need to do a few other things. You will need to voice the right opinions. You will need to endorse the right ideas. You will need to conform. That’s what the corporate chieftains tell us, anyway.

They tried to reprimand me this month because I didn’t. On behalf of the voters of my state, I raised a challenge to the presidential electors from Pennsylvania after that state conducted the election in violation of the state constitution. Maybe you agree with me. Maybe you don’t. But whatever your view, corporate America’s rush to cancel those it dislikes should trouble you.
I for one am not going to back down. My book will be published, and I will continue to represent the people of my state without fear or favor, whatever the left or the corporations say.

The powerful see in the present moment an opportunity to consolidate their control over society and to squelch dissent. That means those who believe in the First Amendment and the fundamental principles of American liberty must now take a stand, while we still can
.​

Silence him? No, but I hope he will be held accountable for his reprehensible actions.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

.​
Sounds like Hawley’s mistaking reality for a Black Mirror episode...

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious. I thought that the Republican line was that state legislatures had sole control over Presidential elections -- that the issue was the changes made by election officials. Yet, one of Hawley's major complaints and the one he appears to be alluding to hear (since it is the only one the courts have had an issue with) is that the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania legislature changed the election law. Then, after the election, a Republican lawmaker in the state didn't like that Trump lost and sued that the law the legislature passed was unconstitutional.

So let me see if I have this right, the Republican legislature changes the election law. Now, after the Republican candidate lost, Republicans -- to include Hawley -- want to call the election for the Republican Presidential candidate because the Republican legislature created an illegal law (and didn't seek to overturn it until after their candidate lost)? I'm not quite sure how that makes any sense at all.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious. I thought that the Republican line was that state legislatures had sole control over Presidential elections -- that the issue was the changes made by election officials. Yet, one of Hawley's major complaints and the one he appears to be alluding to hear (since it is the only one the courts have had an issue with) is that the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania legislature changed the election law. Then, after the election, a Republican lawmaker in the state didn't like that Trump lost and sued that the law the legislature passed was unconstitutional.

So let me see if I have this right, the Republican legislature changes the election law. Now, after the Republican candidate lost, Republicans -- to include Hawley -- want to call the election for the Republican Presidential candidate because the Republican legislature created an illegal law (and didn't seek to overturn it until after their candidate lost)? I'm not quite sure how that makes any sense at all.
Thank you for recognizing the value of discussing the matter ...

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Silence him? All I’ve heard out of Hawley for the past month is how unfair it is that he’s gotten so much flak over encouraging and showing solidarity with a violent uprising at our nation’s Capitol.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So conservatives are saying that on the one hand Corporations in America should have the freedom to decide that it is against their ethics to include birth control in their health insurance offering but on the other hand should not be allowed to say it is against their stated policy for people to spread disinformation that can be used to incite people to over throw the government. This strikes me as trying to argue both sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So conservatives are saying that one the one hand Corporations in America should have the freedom to decide that it is against their ethics to include birth control in their health insurance offering but on the other hand should not be allowed to say it is against their stated policy for people to spread disinformation that can be used to incite people to over throw the government. This strikes me as trying to argue both sides of the same coin.
Doublethink in action.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What does Hawley think of Insurrection and Coup?

3184ed42-9990-4aa4-9342-a6ed7b11b358_1140x641.jpg

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's sad that people on the USA right believe that censorship of instigating violence and censorship of bigotry is an anti right movement.

I don't know why those people tie their cause to needing to support such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Funny how these conservatives who complain about being muzzled keep on shouting at the tops of their lungs, making headlines and getting in the news.

You'd think they were NOT getting muzzled or something.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That’s what the corporate chieftains tell us, anyway.
But whatever your view, corporate America’s rush to cancel those it dislikes should trouble you.
whatever the left or the corporations say.
In the end it will become clear that profit driven corporations are not the guardian angels of free speech, but the government, that is only driven by serving the public and upholding the laws and constitution.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
What I find funny here is that he’s acting like someone refusing to publish his book is such a big deal. Self publication is a real thing, and for someone of his stature and wealth, it would be quite affordable. This is like complaining about your bus pass being revoked when you can easily afford a working car.

Upvote 0