Senate votes to save net neutrality rules

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Senate votes to save net neutrality rules
The Senate on Wednesday voted to reinstate the FCC's net neutrality rules, passing a bill that has little chance of advancing in the House but offers net neutrality supporters and Democrats a political rallying point for the midterm elections.

Democrats were able to force Wednesday’s vote using an obscure legislative tool known as the Congressional Review Act (CRA). CRA bills allow Congress, with a majority vote in each chamber and the president's signature, to overturn recent agency moves.

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you to the three Republican Senators that crossed lines and allowed Net Neutrality to live to see another vote.

We will need even more Republicans in the House however, as the margins there are bigger than the Senate.

PLEASE keep emailing your Representative and ask them to stand up for a free and neutral internet!

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Assuming it passes the Senate, it will be harder to get it through the House and if it squeaks by, a veto would make things a taller order.

This is a very important topic, but pushing the bill now may be election year posturing... which is not a bad idea considering most people support net neutrality.

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd post what I think about this steaming pile of legislation, but I'd probably get censored.

No one is going to censor you as long as you follow the rules. However, if you want to be passive aggressive about it you certainly seem to have that nailed down.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,307.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'd post what I think about this steaming pile of legislation, but I'd probably get censored.
Why should smaller website have to pay for equal access to bandwidth nonaeroterraqueous? I'm mildly curious.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Why should smaller website have to pay for equal access to bandwidth nonaeroterraqueous? I'm mildly curious.

I think the problem is with giving the government more control over it, AFAIK.

• Haha
Reactions: Colter
Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the problem is with giving the government more control over it, AFAIK.

The Government doesn't have more control over anything. Net Neutrality is simply a set of rules. The rules state that each bit of data, no matter where it comes from, should be treated exactly the same. This means that ISPs can not charge more for certain data (from Netflix for example) than they can from their own streaming service. This means that they can not block access to legal data or setup plans that give access to legal data in tiers (think like Cable TV currently is; You currently have cable tv packages that the more you pay the more you get.) Net Neutrality makes it where the entire internet costs the same and you are only charged for the bandwidth that you want to access it.

The Government is not in charge of anything. These are simply rules. Rules that the majority of Americans, Republicans or Democrats, want to keep in place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Its the same sort of well intentioned bad idea that the unaffordable care act was.

A corrupt government that cant manage its own affairs cant manage healthcare or the internet.
No it is not the same. Do the research.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its the same sort of well intentioned bad idea that the unaffordable care act was.

A corrupt government that cant manage its own affairs cant manage healthcare or the internet.

...and the same knee-jerk reaction to the government setting rules for anything.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Care to explain what the government is managing? Net Neutrality is a set of rules. Period.

Your paranoia about the Government but your willingness to hand over the keys to billion dollar corporations is puzzling.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

But you sure don't mind allowing exploitative ISPs with virtual monopolies to have control over what you see on the Internet and the speeds of your Internet.

It's like missing the forest for the trees. You're so distrustful of the "corrupt" government, but you seem to have a massive blind spot for big companies that exert so much control over our lives. Quite honestly, I don't have much respect for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I almost hope the House does slow-walk or strike down net neutrality protection. It'll make it easier to retake the House in the fall. People my age (born in the '80s) and younger are going to come out in droves to protect neutrality, because we know what the consequences are if we allow laissez-faire regulation of the Internet.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Care to explain what the government is managing? Net Neutrality is a set of rules. Period.

Your paranoia about the Government but your willingness to hand over the keys to billion dollar corporations is puzzling.
That's what it comes down to isn't it, Leftist cant stand corporations who make profits. Echoes of bitter Bernie with that anti-capitalist chip on his shoulder.

Those billion dollar corporations had the initiative and private investment capitol to create things like the PC that you whine about corporations on!

The answer is YES! I would much rather corporations whose competitive dynamic provide us what Government can only manage to mess up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In other words, you'd rather be exploited by companies who have control over what information you see and how you access it, because you have a chip on your shoulder about "gubmint".
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But you sure don't mind allowing exploitative ISPs with virtual monopolies to have control over what you see on the Internet and the speeds of your Internet.

It's like missing the forest for the trees. You're so distrustful of the "corrupt" government, but you seem to have a massive blind spot for big companies that exert so much control over our lives. Quite honestly, I don't have much respect for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I almost hope the House does slow-walk or strike down net neutrality protection. It'll make it easier to retake the House in the fall. People my age (born in the '80s) and younger are going to come out in droves to protect neutrality, because we know what the consequences are if we allow laissez-faire regulation of the Internet.
Ringo
The Left just wants to control things itself..... all dressed up as concern for everyone's freedoms. No thanks Ringo :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's what it comes down to isn't it, Leftist cant stand corporations who make profits. Echoes of bitter Bernie with that anti-capitalist chip on his shoulder.

Those billion dollar corporations had the initiative and private investment capitol to create things like the PC that you whine about corporations on!

The answer is YES! I would much rather corporations whose competitive dynamic provide us what Government can only manage to mess up!
You know the term “don’t drink the Kool-Aid”? Tell me if you live in an area with access to only one ISP, and that ISP has decided to censor all religious content due to it being divisive, what will you do? Hey the owners of the ISP could be raving atheists^_^

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Left just wants to control things itself..... all dressed up as concern for everyone's freedoms. No thanks Ringo :oldthumbsup:

Nope. """The Left""" wants you to have control over what you're allowed to see on the Internet, and not greedy companies. :oldthumbsup:
Ringo

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0