Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Can I have 'Cutting Off Your Nose To Spite Your Face' for $300, Alex?"

The Hill said:
Senate Republicans blocked legislation on Friday that would have temporarily reopened the Department of Homeland Security.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) asked to take up a House-passed bill that would fund the department through Feb. 8. It's the third time Democrats have tried to bring up the stopgap measure.

But Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) objected to the request "on behalf of the majority leader," referring to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

It's the third time McConnell has blocked the bill to temporarily reopen DHS, which is at the center of the shutdown fight. He's also blocked a bill that would reopen the rest of impacted department and agencies three times, most recently on Thursday.

Senate GOP blocks bill to reopen Homeland Security

Republicans say that they care about national security, but they block bills that would open the Department of Homeland Security. Hmm....really makes you think, doesn't it?
Ringo

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
"Can I have 'Cutting Off Your Nose To Spite Your Face' for $300, Alex?"

Senate GOP blocks bill to reopen Homeland Security

Republicans say that they care about national security, but they block bills that would open the Department of Homeland Security. Hmm....really makes you think, doesn't it?
Ringo

I have depleted what savings I had to burry my son 11 days ago and will more than likely miss my mortgage payment and other bills on the first if I do not receive my retirement check. The Republicans and Trump can eat cake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's like their concern for the sanctity of the vote, yet they turn their other way for voter fraud in NC. They only care about power. The reality is they don't believe in divided government, if they can't control everything, then no one can.
Whats sad is that democrats are far more experienced at this obstruction yet you give them a pass?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's also this: Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) and several other freshman congresspeople spent quite some time yesterday trying to find Mitch at the Capitol, because (if I'm remembering correctly) they wanted to deliver a petition to reopen the government. They never found him because he was hiding like a coward.

But despite the fact that Mitch and company evidently don't consider DHS to be an important enough slice of the government to reopen, they did have time in their very busy schedules for a vote on this Extremely Important Issue: Senator Jeff Merkley on Twitter

Taxpayer funding for abortion, which, unless I'm mistaken, is already forbidden by law (not trying to start an abortion derail here).
Ringo

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Perhaps on Bizarroworld. On earth the Republicans have been the party of "No".
I assume this is one of those tired references referring to southern Democrats during the Civil Rights Era. We're supposed to ignore the fact that these are the actions of racist Southerners as opposed to their political party. Because if we look at the votes based on geography, it's rather apparent that party does not matter:
bothcivilrights.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mitch McConnell is doing this to put the heat on trump.

He definitely is. I think Mitch thinks that doing this will put all the blame on Donny.

The problem is that
a) Donny's....not smart (probably not smart enough to realize that the buck stops with him)
b) Mitch is shirking his Constitutional responsibilities to act as a check on the Executive branch.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have depleted what savings I had to burry my son 11 days ago and will more than likely miss my mortgage payment and other bills on the first if I do not receive my retirement check. The Republicans and Trump can eat cake.
My condolences on your loss.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whats sad is that democrats are far more experienced at this obstruction yet you give them a pass?
Yeah! What about the Democrats? They did something once. Trump just does it more huge and historical. The longest shutdown ever! MAGA!

Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ringo

It's like their concern for the sanctity of the vote, yet they turn their other way for voter fraud in NC..

it's like their opposition to abortion. It's front and center during campaigning but if/when they control all three branches of government (as the last two years)... nothing is done.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...no.

Ringo

I think this was him saying I will wear the big boy pants here..and do this thing that everyone Hayes and is bad...hurts to do..but I will take the blame..

Kinda like doing something that hurts but you know is for the better good.. me when I get a shot for example. Lol

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it's like their opposition to abortion. It's front and center during campaigning but if/when they control all three branches of government (as the last two years)... nothing is done.

If nothing else, it definitely shows that Republicans are lying that Democrat's opposition to the $5 billion is because "they want Open Borders." Instead, it shows that this is a political maneuver by Trump and the Republicans -- since re-opening DHS would give funding to secure the border, particularly to remove illegal aliens (something that is not happening now, since immigration courts are closed) -- but still leave the government shut down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If nothing else, it definitely shows that Republicans are lying that Democrat's opposition to the $5 billion is because "they want Open Borders." Instead, it shows that this is a political maneuver by Trump and the Republicans -- particularly since re-opening DHS would give funding to secure the border, particularly to remove illegal aliens (something that is not happening now, since immigration courts are closed) but still leave the government shut down.

That's an excellent point. Hadn't considered that angle.

And since I don't want to double post, I'll go ahead and respond to this
ml5363 said:
I think this was him saying I will wear the big boy pants here..and do this thing that everyone Hayes and is bad...hurts to do..but I will take the blame..

Kinda like doing something that hurts but you know is for the better good.. me when I get a shot for example. Lol

I....suppose so, except
a) Donny never takes responsibility for anything
b) how is a shutdown "for the better good"?
Ringo

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
A 30-ft high wall leads to a demand for 31-ft high ladders.

A 50-ft high wall leads to a demand for 51-ft high ladders.

WW2 General George Patton said that fixed fortifications never stopped anybody. He proved it several times.

By focusing on a construction project when your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The Trump wall is another Trump construction project that will fail.

Upvote 0