Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1 Jesus was not married to Mary or Martha...
2 where is the disrespect in expecting a wife to do wifely duties?
3 The problem is with many (most?) women is that they want to be worshiped and get everything for free.

Trying to controlling how a wife does some of the shared domestic tasks of life can definitely be disrespectful.

And as for your point three, doubtless there are some women like that. Most women I know, though, work really hard to try to do the best for their families. Slandering us as a group like that is really not appreciated.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
That's not a healthy dynamic between husband and wife, though. It's certainly not loving for a husband to expect that a wife is morally obligated to follow his "commands."

(And that's not what many of us understand "head" to mean in terms of family relationships).

Then think of it in physical terms. When your
head goes one way, where does the body go?
Becoming one means accepting that there is
only one head. That said, I don't know any
couples where the wife can't get the husband
to decide what she thinks when it's important.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 Jesus was not married to Mary or Martha...

Yes, I am fully aware of that. But women at that time were expected to follow the orders of men. That is one of the things that was so extraordinary about Jesus--He treated women as equals.

2 where is the disrespect in expecting a wife to do wifely duties?

Exactly where does scripture does it tell us that a wife's duty is to have dinner on the table at a certain time.

3 The problem is with many (most?) women is that they want to be worshiped and get everything for free.

That certainly has not been my experience.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know that post is flaming, don't you?
The poster was referencing the Senate candidate discussed in the story referenced in the OP. That isn't flaming--the poster is entitled to his opinion (one with which I happen to agree).

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The poster was referencing the Senate candidate discussed in the story referenced in the OP. That isn't flaming--the poster is entitled to his opinion (one with which I happen to agree).

Why he is married or not is not the discussion. That
was a pointless insult; flaming.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why he is married or not is not the discussion. That was a pointless insult; flaming.
No, I believe his point was that perhaps the reason the candidate is still single at his age is because of his attitude towards women. No flaming.

Upvote 0

Volante Nocturno

Feb 6, 2018
Wy
✟1,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, I believe his point was that perhaps the reason the candidate is still single at his age is because of his attitude towards women. No flaming.
What should his attitude be? "I'll give my all for her and she can just sit and drain my life force till I'm nothing but a shell? Husbands have a role and so do wives. Its no disrespect to expect her to fulfill her role.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What should his attitude be?

How about, "I will love, honour, and cherish her; I will work together with her to work towards our shared and individual life goals, aspirations and dreams; I will respect her as a person in her own right, with her own needs and wants, and seek to make sure that our relationship is not one-way but genuinely mutually supportive?"

That's what I want in a husband; it's what I observe most women want in a husband.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What should his attitude be? "I'll give my all for her and she can just sit and drain my life force till I'm nothing but a shell? Husbands have a role and so do wives. Its no disrespect to expect her to fulfill her role.
I can't provide a better response than Paidiske already did. As I have said before in this thread, my girlfriend and I view each other as equals. She has not sat and drained "my life force". We treat each other with mutual love and respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Volante Nocturno

Feb 6, 2018
Wy
✟1,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How about, "I will love, honour, and cherish her; I will work together with her to work towards our shared and individual life goals, aspirations and dreams; I will respect her as a person in her own right, with her own needs and wants, and seek to make sure that our relationship is not one-way but genuinely mutually supportive?"

That's what I want in a husband; it's what I observe most women want in a husband.
That's good....And what are you bringing to the table?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's good....And what are you bringing to the table?

"I will love, honour, and cherish him; I will work together with him to work towards our shared and individual life goals, aspirations and dreams; I will respect him as a person in his own right, with his own needs and wants, and seek to make sure that our relationship is not one-way but genuinely mutually supportive."

It's the same thing for both; building a genuine partnership of equals.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"I will love, honour, and cherish him; I will work together with him to work towards our shared and individual life goals, aspirations and dreams; I will respect him as a person in his own right, with his own needs and wants, and seek to make sure that our relationship is not one-way but genuinely mutually supportive."

It's the same thing for both; building a genuine partnership of equals.
I'm trying to figure out way someone thought your wonderful post was so funny?

Upvote 0

Volante Nocturno

Feb 6, 2018
Wy
✟1,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some people seem to think that a genuine partnership of equals is impossible in marriage?
Since I asked you the question, I have to ask...Who laughed at your answer? I see your answer and my only question is....Where are all the other real women? Surely you are not alone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since I asked you the question, I have to ask...Who laughed at your answer? I see your answer and my only question is....Where are all the other real women? Surely you are not alone?

If you scroll back up you'll see the "funny" rating on some of my posts. If you click next to it, where it says "list" it will tell you who gave that rating.

I don't know why other women aren't replying. Maybe they're tired of trying to justify themselves in the face of misogyny?

Upvote 0

Volante Nocturno

Feb 6, 2018
Wy
✟1,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you scroll back up you'll see the "funny" rating on some of my posts. If you click next to it, where it says "list" it will tell you who gave that rating.

I don't know why other women aren't replying. Maybe they're tired of trying to justify themselves in the face of misogyny?
Really! All a man looks for is a woman who is willing to do her part..as you described....That's not misogyny. It's reasonable.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your post #128 didn't come across that way. It came across as if women are grasping, greedy, lazy, and exploitative, and that therefore men might have difficulty finding a woman "willing to do her part."

Upvote 0

Volante Nocturno

Feb 6, 2018
Wy
✟1,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your post #128 didn't come across that way. It came across as if women are grasping, greedy, lazy, and exploitative, and that therefore men might have difficulty finding a woman "willing to do her part."
Well, I do think the majority are...That's why I asked 'Where are the real women?' That's why I appreciated your answer.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,405.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, I do think the majority are...

Yeah... that does come across as misogyny. Not everyone is as thick-skinned (or pig-headed) as me, and many will just walk away from trying to discuss things with someone who characterises them in that way.

Upvote 0