Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...unless the the Senate Leader allows a Senate vote on legislation to protect Robert Mueller:

On Wednesday, Flake sought unanimous consent to pass a bill with Sen. Chris Coons, D-Delaware, to protect the investigation, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, immediately scuttled that request.

"Because (the legislation) has failed today, Sen. Coons and I are prepared to raise it again and again, until there is a vote on this vital bipartisan legislation on the Senate floor," Flake said on the floor. "I have informed the majority leader that I will not vote to advance any of the 21 judicial nominees pending in the Judiciary Committee, or vote to confirm the 32 judges awaiting a confirmation vote on the floor, until (the bill) is brought to the full Senate for a vote."

It's not an idle threat. Without Flake, the Senate Judiciary Committee would need help from Democrats....

Sen. Jeff Flake draws the line: Protect Mueller probe or no new federal judges

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...unless the the Senate Leader allows a Senate vote on legislation to protect Robert Mueller:

On Wednesday, Flake sought unanimous consent to pass a bill with Sen. Chris Coons, D-Delaware, to protect the investigation, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, immediately scuttled that request.

"Because (the legislation) has failed today, Sen. Coons and I are prepared to raise it again and again, until there is a vote on this vital bipartisan legislation on the Senate floor," Flake said on the floor. "I have informed the majority leader that I will not vote to advance any of the 21 judicial nominees pending in the Judiciary Committee, or vote to confirm the 32 judges awaiting a confirmation vote on the floor, until (the bill) is brought to the full Senate for a vote."

It's not an idle threat. Without Flake, the Senate Judiciary Committee would need help from Democrats....

Note to the President: bu-bye!

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It's a empty threat. They can just wait out until the current session of Congress and then have Trump renominate every single judge.

Just like a Third World Dictatorship. I love it!

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a empty threat. They can just wait out until the current session of Congress and then have Trump renominate every single judge.

Effectively delaying nominations for over two months is not an empty threat. A temporary one - sure.

On the other hand, it might be possible to bypass the Judiciary Committee...

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What seems to be the problem?

Ask Mitch McConnell. What does he fear in allowing the Senate to vote on legislations that would provision a 3 judge panel to over-rule any dismissal of Robert Muller?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We are really going to miss this FLAKE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask Mitch McConnell. What does he fear in allowing the Senate to vote on legislations that would provision a 3 judge panel to over-rule any dismissal of Robert Muller?

Why would a serious legislator take such a frivolous idea seriously? Beside the fact that, in the extremely unlikely event that the bill passed both houses of Congress and the even more vastly unlikely event that the President decided not to veto it, the Supreme Court would declare it unconstitutional as Congress has no authority under the Constitution to appoint any sort of panel to overrule any personnel decision made within the Executive branch. The bill is an obvious violation of the separation of powers. Flake is an apt name.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would a serious legislator take such a frivolous idea seriously? Beside the fact that, in the extremely unlikely event that the bill passed both houses of Congress and the even more vastly unlikely event that the President decided not to veto it, the Supreme Court would declare it unconstitutional as Congress has no authority under the Constitution to appoint any sort of panel to overrule any personnel decision made within the Executive branch. The bill is an obvious violation of the separation of powers. Flake is an apt name.

Let's hope the President never takes this course of action. Otherwise, we will find out real soon what power the Congress has over the Executive Branch....and whether the GOP Senate Leader will finally stand up to an autocrat.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's hope the President never takes this course of action. Otherwise, we will find out real soon what power the Congress has over the Executive Branch....and whether the GOP Senate Leader will finally stand up to an autocrat.

The Legislature has no power of over the Executive , the Executive has no power over the the Legislature and the Judicial has no power over either nor either any power over the Judicial. They each have checks that they can use against each other to curb the power of the others but none is empowered over another. The President can veto , the Congress can remove individuals from office and the Supreme Court can declare legislation or actions unconstitutional. Silly bills that clearly have no Constitutional basis are frivolous and waste the taxpayers money by wasting legislative , executive and judicial branch time. Perhaps Flake ought to just stop being a publicity hound and quit being an impediment to the work of his fellow government employees? If he doesn't approve of the judicial appointees on real grounds then he ought to vote against them but proposing a quid pro quo sort of extortion is unethical at the least. If McConnell were to cave to this grandstanding , would Flake vote for the appointees simply because he got his way on that or would his next step be to insist that the bill pass before he votes for the appointees? Seems to me that Flake is the one with the tendency to play autocrat here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps Flake ought to just stop being a publicity hound and quit being an impediment to the work of his fellow government employees?

Perhaps all publicity hounds should be removed from office…

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Poor Jeff, he really wants to be a team player he just seems to end up in the wrong locker room.

He's playing for the country. I pity the folks who think the only locker rooms are labeled D or R.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That would require we get used to “President Pence”

That guy fights for TV time; he just gets overshadowed by the Don. I seem to remember a football game he made a big deal about walking out of. I really loved the Party of fiscal responsibility; I just wish it would come back.

Upvote 0