SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Seminary Built on Slavery and Jim Crow Labor Has Begun Paying Reparations
One night in 1858, Carter Dowling, an enslaved Black man forced to work without pay at the Virginia Theological Seminary in Northern Virginia, made the brave decision to escape.

He made it to Philadelphia, where he met the famed abolitionist William Still. He then continued north to Canada and, after the Civil War, returned to Washington, D.C., where he was able to open a bank account for his children. He eventually went on to work as a labor organizer in Buffalo.

To this day, Mr. Dowling’s family line continues. And, most likely for one of the first times in American history, his descendants could receive cash payments for his forced labor.

The program is among the first of its kind. Though other institutions have created atonement programs, such as scholarships and housing vouchers for Black people, few, if any, have provided cash. (The Times could not verify whether the seminary is the first to provide cash payments.)

All I can say to this story is :amen:

CatsRule2020

Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Every society evolves towards God's objective morality, His transcendent law.

To declare that every society that evolves enough to see it's past objective moral wrongs, must pay for them for as much and as long as those offended deem, puts the society into a perpetual hostage and Regressive situation. By (Regressive) I mean in regards to this, both the whites and blacks (to be ultimately fair) must spend the rest of their existence making restitution to all the other peoples that their race, tribes, and class (classes) have harmed.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

To declare that every society that evolves enough to see it's past objective moral wrongs, must pay for them for as much and as long as those offended deem, puts the society into a perpetual hostage and Regressive situation. By (Regressive) I mean in regards to this, both the whites and blacks (to be ultimately fair) must spend the rest of their existence making restitution to all the other peoples that their race, tribes, and class (classes) have harmed.
You're talking about something nebulous, the actions of this seminary are very specific and targeted a specific set of people. But I'm not surprised, reparations always seems to bring out the worst in terms of reflexive anger at the idea.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Turns out Georgetown was also built on slavery. Ah, the Jesuits. One would have thought the Jesuits were better than that, at least the old Jesuits.

The ones that went after the Protestants?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Maybe some reparations should be payed before talk about "paying forever" begins.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But "slippery slope", doncha know
You mean like when you raise the minimum wage by 20 cents, you might as well pay 200 dollars per hour?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance is always good.
This reparations thing could be a magic souce of income for many Americans, almost every race was exploited at some point in the history of our nation, right off the top of my head we have the Chinese, the Polish, the Germans, the Italians, the Irish, Native Americans and on and on

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This reparations thing could be a magic souce of income for many Americans, almost every race was exploited at some point in the history of our nation, right off the top of my head we have the Chinese, the Polish, the Germans, the Italians, the Irish, Native Americans and on and on
Don't forget the Japanese.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Since when were Chinese, Polish, Germans, Italians and Irish a race? You're listing nationalities. :scratch:

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Since when were Chinese, Polish, Germans, Italians and Irish a race? You're listing nationalities. :scratch:
Webster's:
Race- 2.a- a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

You may be mistaken, I am sure I remember speeches by various leaders that talk about the Chinese race or Jewish race. Big leaders, important leaders. I don't think that these big and important leaders that still influence and have followers to this day would ever make a mistake of confusing nationality with race.

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A reference without a link...

Did you grab this from a dictionary in today's world? It does not appear on: Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary.
Do not throw out your old reference books!
The reason being that during the last 20 yrs. The online reference material that we have been relying on has either been changed (not upgraded) or deleted.

The reliable reference that I posted from is from Merriam Websters Collgiate Dictionary 11th Ed.

Upvote 0