North Carolina
✟14,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok so something happened to me that brings a major sort of questions into my life that I can’t find the answers to. First Back in January I decided to repent of all my known sins I knew were wrong. I’ve been a Christian all my life but knew I had never truly surrendered to God, therefore I decided to do it I gave up what I knew was wrong at that time my girlfriend and I started being good that sort of stuff. I felt great, a few weeks went by still feeling great then one day after watching a YouTube video I heard God tell me to sell my things now back up, all the year before I got a new job and bought a few things nothing extremely expensive or nice but they were nice for me and my job is a medium salary here in the United States not complaining just saying. Anyway back to the subject after I was sure I heard that from the Lord I was surprised but I knew exactly what he meant the things I had been buying recently so not absolutely everything and I didn’t hear what to do with the money after I sold these things. However I was like ok I don’t really want to do this but Lord if this is your will please help. Fast forward 24 hours during my lunch break the next day I watched another YouTube video about someone who claims to have been to hell or almost died (side note I started repenting because I watched a YouTube about a girl who said Jesus told her she would burn in hell for having sex or fornicating outside of marriage and from then on I started watching videos of people saying they died and went to hell and were brought back or people who had a vision of the same thing and Christians claiming they died or had a NDE and went to hell I also have been watching YouTube pastors like Tim Conway, Michael Chriswell, and OTG Ministries and another guy on Instagram called “The Jesus Freak” more on these later) anyway after that video of a guy claiming he’d been to hell I started to get a really bad feeling so I decided I needed to repent knowing I didn’t really want to sell my things and not doing or wanting to do it was not good. I laid on the floor to pray (most humble way I thought I should) but I felt something tell me “I will withdraw myself from you until you do this” and immediately all my joy left me and it felt like somebody pouring a black darkness into my heart (best description) like a depression I had never felt like someone standing on my heart I didn’t feel like eating for few days and even cried (not something I do much).

Anyway this happened a few months ago ever since then I have been searching this site, YouTube, and all over the internet for answers, encouragement, or something and yes the Bible however I will admit the more I read the Bible the more I am discouraged the toughest parts are the Words Of Jesus cut off thy hand or be thrown into hell in other words don’t sin or go to hell I always thought salvation wasn’t works or don’t do this don’t do that but that is exactly what Jesus is saying in my opinion, don’t do this don’t do that or go to hell then I start thinking well that’s simple enough don’t sin ok, but then I start wondering what is and what isn’t a sin and then everything seems to be a sin like if you don’t clean up after your dog in the park it’s a sin if you drive to fast it’s a sin. But then I see the YouTube preachers and others saying repent of all sin or your going to hell don’t have idols and which they say is anything you love more than God I do agree but then I feel so guilty when I do something like play guitar and makes me wonder how do these preachers live like this and they sum it up with be more like Jesus Or as close as you can and if your not trying your going to hell Tim Conway even tells his congregation some of them are going to hell and I’m like well what is the whole point of even preaching if you think so few are going to be saved again Jesus says “enter in the strait gate for few be there that find it” so I think ok what do I have to do to be one of the few. It’s discouraging cause all my life I’ve made mistakes I seem to always be wrong when I’m sure I’m right then bam I look like an idiot, maybe it’s cause I am and then I think are people like me all going to hell then I read and listen this stuff and everybody’s like amen in the comment section and I just wonder do they really think they are right with God I know for certain I am a sinner and not worthy of Heaven even if I never sinned again I still would know that.

Which brings me to my next question what is a work I hear some these preachers say it’s by grace not of works you are saved and then turn around and be like don’t have any habitual sin or willful sin in your life or your going to hell I myself kind of do still believe that. But I question isn’t all sin willful if not is all sin the same willful or not and if not just how to they live in order to not have this or get rid of it. The only way I see that is possible, is to live exactly like Jesus, walk the streets with hardly any belongings only what you absolutely need relying totally on God for everything (which I do anyway relying on faith in God for everything that is as far as life goes I’m sure I could more but I wonder if the things I have or me being an American whose small salary in this country is significantly more than anybody else in the world which I am extremely grateful for but does that mean I should live my life like taking any money I make and buy only absolutely what I need and give all the rest away this is the same question I have for the types of people I’ve mentioned) anyway basically live exactly like Jesus in order to be a true Christian or saved or going to heaven but doesn’t that sound like some people who say live like that. What someone lived like that and just did it as a work and when they get to Heaven there like ok I should get in because I did this this and that and totally don’t mention Jesus as savior?

Brings me to my next question didn’t Jesus pay the price for all sins because the way like Tim Conway preaches the Gospel is centered around sin and how to get rid of it and not Jesus Christ who saves or instead centered around you and your effort to not sin in order to keep salvation. Did Jesus die to save us from our sinful nature, habitats or all our sins or to save us by helping us quit sinning or did he die to save us from hell?

So with my situation thinking I have lost the Holy Spirt is the same as not being saved anymore because I haven’t sold my things. Which is like some other things I’ve heard like salvation is a free gift but you got to keep it. However with my situation thinking the Holy Spirit left me I know it’s possible to think I was under some kind of spiritual attack when I heard this but I’m scared to question that cause I don’t want to blasphemy the Holy Spirit so I guess you could say I’m more scared than I am confused I wonder why if God wanted me to do something why would he remove the Holy Spirit from me and the Holy Spirit helping me do it.

I feel rather foolish for posting and telling other people about this it could be OCD could not I don’t know I’ve always thought God made me just the way I am for a reason. I’ve told my pastor, parents, and few others about this and I feel foolish none of them made me feel that way and even gave me helpful advice in a way. But I could kind of feel they may think this is silly of me. Part of me wants to think that however I am taking it very seriously I consider where I am going for entirnity my number one worry (but should it be a worry) why would salvation be so complicated and why would it be so complicated keeping it. Paul names the kind of people that won’t make it to heaven in Corinthians I can’t remember all them adulterers, murderers I’m not saying everybody is one but the way I understand it just one thought about either of those makes you one and all though thinking about murder certainly isn’t common I hope not anyway but adultery or any other sin or idolater, if just the thought of one or owning stuff we may idolize somehow keeps us out. Then I don’t know how anybody I know is making it to heaven. At least here in America I’ve always been taught to work hard for your money and maybe you can have something as long as it doesn’t get in between you in God. At least I didn’t think it was getting in the way maybe I was wrong.

Also I’m not saying the things Paul listed are ok or sort of ok no. But I am saying everybody that says people are going to hell for stuff do they really live Holy enough? I try not to scall people too much for things they do wrong cause I’m no better than them but I admit I haven’t always been able to do that. Also with repentance of sins what if you cheated back in college doesn’t matter how much little or small knowing that shouldn’t you go back admit it turn your degree or they take it away whatever happens and lose your job cause of it shouldn’t you do that if your repenting of your sins. Maybe thats a little extreme or is it, it’s a question I have.

Anyway I guess where I’m getting at these people claim get rid of all sin but when I start doing that I start to wonder if everything is a sin if your not doing exactly like Jesus did cause he was without sin. In my opinion they are not their on a computer or phone there not on the street totally giving up all for God which to me is what I hear when I hear surrender your life to Christ the picture of that is Jesus but people who say that doesn’t appear to do what there saying maybe I’m judging too much probably am and I apologize.

Anyway I could go on and on and I apologize for the long post I hate reading them to. But I’m looking for some correction, joy, hope, and assurance. But I admit thinking that once you get saved it’s so easy to lose it is tough and can be discouraging, cause my worst enemy I admit is me sometimes. I listened to this guy called The Jesus Freak I mentioned earlier who went on and on on one of his post about how Christians shouldn’t always be going on about love, love this love that all lovy dovy I guess. But is that not why God sent his son to die for us because he “so LOVED the world” and he showed us that through the cross. I also came across a guy called finalcall07 but I kind of thought from the start he was a little off, but what if he’s preaching the truth.

Also I’ve read several different interpretations of scripture and verses which one is right? I guess I’m at a point I thought I knew God but maybe I didn’t. Again guys like Tim Conway and Michael Chriswell when they preach I hear no joy Tim looks like he’s been beat when he preaches and Micheal acts like he is so scared he’s going to disobey God any moment. Which I understand we are to fear God which I do I’m not afraid of demons or haunted house or whatever I am scared of God in fact just about terrified now of him. Is that how we Christians are suppose to live totally passive or worrying about our flesh and sin, living in total fear or should we only repent or come to Jesus all cause of fear of hell? It seems every doctrine starts with you are saved by grace BUT there’s always something to keeping it or something else thrown in there could it really be as simple as just believing and yes I mean truly believing and trusting Jesus to save you. Not just acknowledging him.Along with loving and knowing him in a relationship with him.

Which makes me wonder are those things works? Like believing I don’t really think it is. Or in order to know him must you completely obey or to keep knowing him. Where’s the line between legalistic and being Christian or was Jesus teaching us to be legalistic I don’t know. Why does the book of John seem to be a little different than the other 3. I feel convicted of everything now maybe I should. I like rock music cause I like the guitar riffs in them but is it a sin, what you do what you listen to I agree I don’t like stuff that sends a bad message. Does that mean Christians that get divorced just cause they can’t get along go to hell? I know all these questions is all probably for another post topic I agree, I’m just writing my thoughts so to speak and I’ll admit it feels good to write some of them out.

Anyway but back to my situation why would the Holy Spirit leave me cause I didn’t do something for God and now when I finally decide to go through with this will I not be doing it just thinking ok let’s get it over with isn’t that not right?Also does that mean I could never have a hobby or own anything nice again. I haven’t brought up the rich young ruler yet but in his case what if he would of done exactly what Jesus told him and did all that just out of obligation and on the other hand if it was all a matter of the heart how in the world was he able to change his heart to do it all willfully. Also since he didn’t do it did he go to hell? Jesus told him how to get to Heaven follow the 10 commandments. However Jesus told his disciples “with men it is impossible but God all things are possible” was everything about the rich young ruler to prove no matter what he did selling his things or not he couldn’t earn salvation. But the other places in the Bible seem to call to sell all or not have many worldly possessions in fact very little at all. Americans sometime say well you see it’s hard for rich person to enter heaven that’s what he’s saying but they don’t realize the poorest man in America is still considered rich in the world which includes them to.

This is a complicated post believe me I know I’m just trying to get it all out there. But it brings this giant question sort of into one. In order for me to have a relationship with Jesus I’ve got to do this (sell my things) or in order for me to be saved, maybe it’s two different things I don’t know. One of the things I have to sell I even use in church is a guitar I already sold the amp and a few of the other things but it didn’t make me feel any better and I should note besides the guitar and the amp these aren’t just things I can sell anywhere to anybody they involve special legal paper work if you guessed it great. So I kind of have to do a little more to make sure it’s done right not really a big deal though. I also bought another guitar amp cause I needed one I haven’t felt as guiltily about it but I probably should sell just in case and another question are we Christians suppose to treat our consciences as God telling us something or the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin?

Cause I fell convicted of almost everything even stuff I know may not be a sin but I’m not sure so I feel I must make myself humble and sorry and ask for forgiveness for it most of the time it’s a thought and I feel guilty if I’m not sorry or humble. But anyway I feel must truly repent of it I feel like people who preach this aren’t always doing this but I’m not going to say anymore about that. Anyway I could tell you all a lot more about my life and go deeper into it maybe I will later. Also no I’m not looking for a counselor I don’t think I’m really any different than anybody else. But when I feel I want to know something I just keep digging for an answer in this case that and some joy and hope.

I know that all goes back to prayer but I just don’t trust my thoughts or anything else I might somehow hear as if it’s coming from God but doing that makes me afraid I might harden my heart and be deceived like the Bible says. I also feel when I pray if I don’t feel like it was sincere I need do it till it is that brings in repetition I know that’s bad but sometimes I feel convicted or guilty when I pray I know that’s probably not right but then maybe there’s a reason for it.

But I question did I love these things too much if so I’m scared to love anything. Also I kind of thought the Christian life is loving, being kind and helpful whenever you get the chance like at work or wherever God has placed you. I know I asked a lot of questions and my grammar and spelling isn’t the best, but the main thing I want is input on about me hearing to sell my things and the Holy Spirit withdrawing from me cause I haven’t done that. Also anyone with similar experiences would be helpful to. Also I know I didn’t introduce myself I apologize this is my first post I think I’m in the right forum if not correct me I’m 27 and have been a Christian Baptist all my life. Anyway thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Seun

Jul 11, 2018
Midwest
✟34,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have the same questions. I want answers! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one struggling with this, but I would rather have someone already have the answers. Sometimes I wonder if God is speaking to me, but it could be deception.
Then there’s the word that I struggle with, but this one pastor mentioned that we need to see the Bible through spiritual eyes like when Jesus restores the blind mans eyes and first he saw “men like trees” which was his spiritual eyes then Jesus healed him completely.
I feel like I need a lot of confirmation or correction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
but the main thing I want is input on about me hearing to sell my things and the Holy Spirit withdrawing from me cause I haven’t done that. Also anyone with similar experiences would be helpful to. Also I know I didn’t introduce myself I apologize this is my first post I think I’m in the right forum if not correct me I’m 27 and have been a Christian Baptist all my life. Anyway thanks for reading.

First you have to know why you need to sell your things.

There's always a sound reason for it. Obviously, you don't have to sell all. You can keep the basic stuff you need, including anything you need to do your job and earn money.

Read the Book of 1 John in the Bible. I think you'll find all the answers you need in there.

If I can say it in one sentence - the less you spend on yourself, the more you can spend to help our brothers and sisters in the faith...

What you do to the least of our brothers and sister, you do upon Christ. Loving our brothers and sisters (neighbors) as we love ourselves certainly demand actions. In this corrupt world we live in that worships money, ironically, some of the best ways we can do to help our brothers and sisters is through worldly wealth.

Jesus made it explicitly clear enough is what all who believes in Him will do.

That is what you need to understand why the Holy Spirit may ask you to do such thing. And that is actually a very good sign you belong to the right Spirit. It will ask every genuine believer of the same thing.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(snipped .. exceeds CF character limit!) :wave::wave:
Whew! .. boy, that is quite an opening post! .. lol, well, welcome to Christian Forums!

I can see in this, that you are encountering a test like one that I remember.. and what I see is that you're right in your fundamental knowledge: God is Love, and "every good and perfect gift comes down from above, from The Father of lights, in whom is no shadow of turning". Now, it seems you've got through life quite well until recently, and now you are beginning to have some doubts about what God seems to be commanding you to do, and there is a sense of being punished too, which doesn't jive with what we know of God (John 14:27). So it indicates that there is some new attack coming toward you that you haven't had to learn about before, and that indicates that the adversary has detected a new opportunity to exploit a potential weakness. He wants to "steal, kill and destroy" .. to get you living homeless and in the gutter, ready to be scooped up and binned. But Jesus said "I have come that they may have life abundantly" .. now, tell me what you think wisdom would say about selling your guitar: what good will it do to the world? .. wouldn't it do more good in the world if you would write and produce a song that sows some seeds for The Holy Spirit to do healing through?

.. so we know where that is coming from. But you have yielded your belief to that spirit, where you would have been confident, unshaken if you had not given a foothold to the doubt. So you need to ask yourself how did that new philosophy creep into your thinking? "Do not believe every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they be from God - for many false teachers have gone into the world, bringing the spirit of the antichrist". -- now, who exactly have you been believing on YouTube? (I would say you might have taken a wrong turn in your faith that way, by having believed a corrupting idea that doesn't come from God).

"Do not be called teachers, for you have only one teacher - your Father who is in heaven".. and yet, what do they do? They get up on the stage and teach. .. or, do they do something else? .. nope, you know as well as I do that they love the praise of men. So it isn't the authentic Christian spirit speaking through them (1 Corinthians 13:5).

.. coming round to that point, I have noticed an opportunity for refining the doctrine around John 3:16, where you have said "But is that not why God sent his son to die for us because he “so LOVED the world” and he showed us that through the cross. " .. and what you really need to realise is what Jesus said in John 3:17 "God did not send His son to condemn the world" .. and what is the situation we learn of through Noah and Job? .. that whenever there is such righteousness and wickedness, and the Day of Adonai is coming (Malachi 4:1), that is the reality that was coming as Messiah was arriving (Daniel 9:24), and yet, when you look at the likes of John 14:9, you can see that even though the twelve had been walking with Jesus and learning what He was teaching them, they really were not picking up on the necessities for survival in that day (Amos 5:18-20), so the day that was looming was threatening to make a complete devastation to earth (consider: Malachi 4:5-6). That is why the Greek emphasises "thus, indeed God loved the world, that He gave up His only-begotten son".

.. and I think that's all I wanted to comment on for you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What someone lived like that and just did it as a work and when they get to Heaven there like ok I should get in because I did this this and that and totally don’t mention Jesus as savior?

Living just like Jesus, perfectly, is impossible. If it could be done, then we could do without his sacrifice, but all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Anyone who thinks he has reformed himself and has no sin only deceives himself. Salvation comes only through faith in Christ.

Did Jesus die to save us from our sinful nature, habitats or all our sins or to save us by helping us quit sinning or did he die to save us from hell?

Both. Primarily, he came to save our souls from the pit, but he also stands at the door and knocks so that we may receive him and he will commune with us. We will never achieve perfection in this life, but we are not so imminently saved from Hell as we are in death.

But I am saying everybody that says people are going to hell for stuff do they really live Holy enough?

We are not saved by works. Our works are evidence of our salvation. On the one hand, none of us live holy enough, but on the other hand, if we do have Christ within us, then that fact will be evident in our lives.

Also I’ve read several different interpretations of scripture and verses which one is right?

Mine.

No, just kidding. The question was too broad to answer.

Is that how we Christians are suppose to live totally passive or worrying about our flesh and sin, living in total fear or should we only repent or come to Jesus all cause of fear of hell?

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind. Yes, we should strive for Holiness, but not as one attempting to save himself.

Not just acknowledging him.Along with loving and knowing him in a relationship with him. Which makes me wonder are those things works?

Relationship (including loving and knowing) is not works. Read Luke 10:38-41. Mary and Martha had two different approaches to Christ. One sought a relationship, while the other strove to satisfy him through her works.

Does that mean Christians that get divorced just cause they can’t get along go to hell?

Divorce is bad. Divorce and remarriage is adultery. Neither are the unpardonable sin. No one goes to Hell automatically because of divorce.

Anyway but back to my situation why would the Holy Spirit leave me cause I didn’t do something for God and now when I finally decide to go through with this will I not be doing it just thinking ok let’s get it over with isn’t that not right?

If you do all of that, and it is not for love, then you do nothing. If you give to God, but without a cheerful heart, then it profits you nothing. The Holy Spirit will not leave you for failing to sell everything and give it away, but if that's what he really wants you to do, then you may feel a great deal of unease if you don't do it. Your salvation does not hinge on any of that, but if you want real joy, then you will obey God. I'm not saying that he does want you to do any of that. That's just something for you to work out for yourself, if he really wants that.

I haven’t brought up the rich young ruler yet but in his case what if he would of done exactly what Jesus told him and did all that just out of obligation and on the other hand if it was all a matter of the heart how in the world was he able to change his heart to do it all willfully. Also since he didn’t do it did he go to hell?

He couldn't change his own heart, but God could change it. We also don't know that he didn't do as Jesus told him. He might have done it, but it wasn't easy.

I also bought another guitar amp cause I needed one I haven’t felt as guiltily about it but I probably should sell just in case and another question are we Christians suppose to treat our consciences as God telling us something or the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin?

I think you need to settle down and stop chasing after the wind. Start with the basics. Don't get caught up in trying to always second-guess the Holy Spirit on non-moral issues, when you've got clear matters of Christian living to hammer out, first.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Divorce and remarriage is adultery.

Not if fornication was the reason for the divorce.

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so something happened to me that brings a major sort of questions into my life that I can’t find the answers to. First Back in January I decided to repent of all my known sins I knew were wrong. I’ve been a Christian all my life but knew I had never truly surrendered to God, therefore I decided to do it I gave up what I knew was wrong at that time my girlfriend and I started being good that sort of stuff. I felt great, a few weeks went by still feeling great then one day after watching a YouTube video I heard God tell me to sell my things now back up, all the year before I got a new job and bought a few things nothing extremely expensive or nice but they were nice for me and my job is a medium salary here in the United States not complaining just saying. Anyway back to the subject after I was sure I heard that from the Lord I was surprised but I knew exactly what he meant the things I had been buying recently so not absolutely everything and I didn’t hear what to do with the money after I sold these things. However I was like ok I don’t really want to do this but Lord if this is your will please help. Fast forward 24 hours during my lunch break the next day I watched another YouTube video about someone who claims to have been to hell or almost died (side note I started repenting because I watched a YouTube about a girl who said Jesus told her she would burn in hell for having sex or fornicating outside of marriage and from then on I started watching videos of people saying they died and went to hell and were brought back or people who had a vision of the same thing and Christians claiming they died or had a NDE and went to hell I also have been watching YouTube pastors like Tim Conway, Michael Chriswell, and OTG Ministries and another guy on Instagram called “The Jesus Freak” more on these later) anyway after that video of a guy claiming he’d been to hell I started to get a really bad feeling so I decided I needed to repent knowing I didn’t really want to sell my things and not doing or wanting to do it was not good. I laid on the floor to pray (most humble way I thought I should) but I felt something tell me “I will withdraw myself from you until you do this” and immediately all my joy left me and it felt like somebody pouring a black darkness into my heart (best description) like a depression I had never felt like someone standing on my heart I didn’t feel like eating for few days and even cried (not something I do much).

Anyway this happened a few months ago ever since then I have been searching this site, YouTube, and all over the internet for answers, encouragement, or something and yes the Bible however I will admit the more I read the Bible the more I am discouraged the toughest parts are the Words Of Jesus cut off thy hand or be thrown into hell in other words don’t sin or go to hell I always thought salvation wasn’t works or don’t do this don’t do that but that is exactly what Jesus is saying in my opinion, don’t do this don’t do that or go to hell then I start thinking well that’s simple enough don’t sin ok, but then I start wondering what is and what isn’t a sin and then everything seems to be a sin like if you don’t clean up after your dog in the park it’s a sin if you drive to fast it’s a sin. But then I see the YouTube preachers and others saying repent of all sin or your going to hell don’t have idols and which they say is anything you love more than God I do agree but then I feel so guilty when I do something like play guitar and makes me wonder how do these preachers live like this and they sum it up with be more like Jesus Or as close as you can and if your not trying your going to hell Tim Conway even tells his congregation some of them are going to hell and I’m like well what is the whole point of even preaching if you think so few are going to be saved again Jesus says “enter in the strait gate for few be there that find it” so I think ok what do I have to do to be one of the few. It’s discouraging cause all my life I’ve made mistakes I seem to always be wrong when I’m sure I’m right then bam I look like an idiot, maybe it’s cause I am and then I think are people like me all going to hell then I read and listen this stuff and everybody’s like amen in the comment section and I just wonder do they really think they are right with God I know for certain I am a sinner and not worthy of Heaven even if I never sinned again I still would know that.

Which brings me to my next question what is a work I hear some these preachers say it’s by grace not of works you are saved and then turn around and be like don’t have any habitual sin or willful sin in your life or your going to hell I myself kind of do still believe that. But I question isn’t all sin willful if not is all sin the same willful or not and if not just how to they live in order to not have this or get rid of it. The only way I see that is possible, is to live exactly like Jesus, walk the streets with hardly any belongings only what you absolutely need relying totally on God for everything (which I do anyway relying on faith in God for everything that is as far as life goes I’m sure I could more but I wonder if the things I have or me being an American whose small salary in this country is significantly more than anybody else in the world which I am extremely grateful for but does that mean I should live my life like taking any money I make and buy only absolutely what I need and give all the rest away this is the same question I have for the types of people I’ve mentioned) anyway basically live exactly like Jesus in order to be a true Christian or saved or going to heaven but doesn’t that sound like some people who say live like that. What someone lived like that and just did it as a work and when they get to Heaven there like ok I should get in because I did this this and that and totally don’t mention Jesus as savior?

Brings me to my next question didn’t Jesus pay the price for all sins because the way like Tim Conway preaches the Gospel is centered around sin and how to get rid of it and not Jesus Christ who saves or instead centered around you and your effort to not sin in order to keep salvation. Did Jesus die to save us from our sinful nature, habitats or all our sins or to save us by helping us quit sinning or did he die to save us from hell?

So with my situation thinking I have lost the Holy Spirt is the same as not being saved anymore because I haven’t sold my things. Which is like some other things I’ve heard like salvation is a free gift but you got to keep it. However with my situation thinking the Holy Spirit left me I know it’s possible to think I was under some kind of spiritual attack when I heard this but I’m scared to question that cause I don’t want to blasphemy the Holy Spirit so I guess you could say I’m more scared than I am confused I wonder why if God wanted me to do something why would he remove the Holy Spirit from me and the Holy Spirit helping me do it.

I feel rather foolish for posting and telling other people about this it could be OCD could not I don’t know I’ve always thought God made me just the way I am for a reason. I’ve told my pastor, parents, and few others about this and I feel foolish none of them made me feel that way and even gave me helpful advice in a way. But I could kind of feel they may think this is silly of me. Part of me wants to think that however I am taking it very seriously I consider where I am going for entirnity my number one worry (but should it be a worry) why would salvation be so complicated and why would it be so complicated keeping it. Paul names the kind of people that won’t make it to heaven in Corinthians I can’t remember all them adulterers, murderers I’m not saying everybody is one but the way I understand it just one thought about either of those makes you one and all though thinking about murder certainly isn’t common I hope not anyway but adultery or any other sin or idolater, if just the thought of one or owning stuff we may idolize somehow keeps us out. Then I don’t know how anybody I know is making it to heaven. At least here in America I’ve always been taught to work hard for your money and maybe you can have something as long as it doesn’t get in between you in God. At least I didn’t think it was getting in the way maybe I was wrong.

Also I’m not saying the things Paul listed are ok or sort of ok no. But I am saying everybody that says people are going to hell for stuff do they really live Holy enough? I try not to scall people too much for things they do wrong cause I’m no better than them but I admit I haven’t always been able to do that. Also with repentance of sins what if you cheated back in college doesn’t matter how much little or small knowing that shouldn’t you go back admit it turn your degree or they take it away whatever happens and lose your job cause of it shouldn’t you do that if your repenting of your sins. Maybe thats a little extreme or is it, it’s a question I have.

Anyway I guess where I’m getting at these people claim get rid of all sin but when I start doing that I start to wonder if everything is a sin if your not doing exactly like Jesus did cause he was without sin. In my opinion they are not their on a computer or phone there not on the street totally giving up all for God which to me is what I hear when I hear surrender your life to Christ the picture of that is Jesus but people who say that doesn’t appear to do what there saying maybe I’m judging too much probably am and I apologize.

Anyway I could go on and on and I apologize for the long post I hate reading them to. But I’m looking for some correction, joy, hope, and assurance. But I admit thinking that once you get saved it’s so easy to lose it is tough and can be discouraging, cause my worst enemy I admit is me sometimes. I listened to this guy called The Jesus Freak I mentioned earlier who went on and on on one of his post about how Christians shouldn’t always be going on about love, love this love that all lovy dovy I guess. But is that not why God sent his son to die for us because he “so LOVED the world” and he showed us that through the cross. I also came across a guy called finalcall07 but I kind of thought from the start he was a little off, but what if he’s preaching the truth.

Also I’ve read several different interpretations of scripture and verses which one is right? I guess I’m at a point I thought I knew God but maybe I didn’t. Again guys like Tim Conway and Michael Chriswell when they preach I hear no joy Tim looks like he’s been beat when he preaches and Micheal acts like he is so scared he’s going to disobey God any moment. Which I understand we are to fear God which I do I’m not afraid of demons or haunted house or whatever I am scared of God in fact just about terrified now of him. Is that how we Christians are suppose to live totally passive or worrying about our flesh and sin, living in total fear or should we only repent or come to Jesus all cause of fear of hell? It seems every doctrine starts with you are saved by grace BUT there’s always something to keeping it or something else thrown in there could it really be as simple as just believing and yes I mean truly believing and trusting Jesus to save you. Not just acknowledging him.Along with loving and knowing him in a relationship with him.

Which makes me wonder are those things works? Like believing I don’t really think it is. Or in order to know him must you completely obey or to keep knowing him. Where’s the line between legalistic and being Christian or was Jesus teaching us to be legalistic I don’t know. Why does the book of John seem to be a little different than the other 3. I feel convicted of everything now maybe I should. I like rock music cause I like the guitar riffs in them but is it a sin, what you do what you listen to I agree I don’t like stuff that sends a bad message. Does that mean Christians that get divorced just cause they can’t get along go to hell? I know all these questions is all probably for another post topic I agree, I’m just writing my thoughts so to speak and I’ll admit it feels good to write some of them out.

Anyway but back to my situation why would the Holy Spirit leave me cause I didn’t do something for God and now when I finally decide to go through with this will I not be doing it just thinking ok let’s get it over with isn’t that not right?Also does that mean I could never have a hobby or own anything nice again. I haven’t brought up the rich young ruler yet but in his case what if he would of done exactly what Jesus told him and did all that just out of obligation and on the other hand if it was all a matter of the heart how in the world was he able to change his heart to do it all willfully. Also since he didn’t do it did he go to hell? Jesus told him how to get to Heaven follow the 10 commandments. However Jesus told his disciples “with men it is impossible but God all things are possible” was everything about the rich young ruler to prove no matter what he did selling his things or not he couldn’t earn salvation. But the other places in the Bible seem to call to sell all or not have many worldly possessions in fact very little at all. Americans sometime say well you see it’s hard for rich person to enter heaven that’s what he’s saying but they don’t realize the poorest man in America is still considered rich in the world which includes them to.

This is a complicated post believe me I know I’m just trying to get it all out there. But it brings this giant question sort of into one. In order for me to have a relationship with Jesus I’ve got to do this (sell my things) or in order for me to be saved, maybe it’s two different things I don’t know. One of the things I have to sell I even use in church is a guitar I already sold the amp and a few of the other things but it didn’t make me feel any better and I should note besides the guitar and the amp these aren’t just things I can sell anywhere to anybody they involve special legal paper work if you guessed it great. So I kind of have to do a little more to make sure it’s done right not really a big deal though. I also bought another guitar amp cause I needed one I haven’t felt as guiltily about it but I probably should sell just in case and another question are we Christians suppose to treat our consciences as God telling us something or the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin?

Cause I fell convicted of almost everything even stuff I know may not be a sin but I’m not sure so I feel I must make myself humble and sorry and ask for forgiveness for it most of the time it’s a thought and I feel guilty if I’m not sorry or humble. But anyway I feel must truly repent of it I feel like people who preach this aren’t always doing this but I’m not going to say anymore about that. Anyway I could tell you all a lot more about my life and go deeper into it maybe I will later. Also no I’m not looking for a counselor I don’t think I’m really any different than anybody else. But when I feel I want to know something I just keep digging for an answer in this case that and some joy and hope.

I know that all goes back to prayer but I just don’t trust my thoughts or anything else I might somehow hear as if it’s coming from God but doing that makes me afraid I might harden my heart and be deceived like the Bible says. I also feel when I pray if I don’t feel like it was sincere I need do it till it is that brings in repetition I know that’s bad but sometimes I feel convicted or guilty when I pray I know that’s probably not right but then maybe there’s a reason for it.

But I question did I love these things too much if so I’m scared to love anything. Also I kind of thought the Christian life is loving, being kind and helpful whenever you get the chance like at work or wherever God has placed you. I know I asked a lot of questions and my grammar and spelling isn’t the best, but the main thing I want is input on about me hearing to sell my things and the Holy Spirit withdrawing from me cause I haven’t done that. Also anyone with similar experiences would be helpful to. Also I know I didn’t introduce myself I apologize this is my first post I think I’m in the right forum if not correct me I’m 27 and have been a Christian Baptist all my life. Anyway thanks for reading.

I didn't read your entire post, my eyes started crossing but i got the jist if it.

Nothing the Holy Spirit tells you will ever contradict the written Word

The passage in the Bible talking about the rich man selling his possessions has to do with putting God first in your life, and in your heart.

It's not about selling stuff.. It's about putting aside what stands between you and God. (I had to quit smoking, so you have a frame of reference..)

Don't assume NDE's are from God, many/most of them contradict clear biblical teachings.

Even ones which dont seem to contradict the Bible have theological implications so its good to just stick with what is 100% from God - aka the written word. The measure we know we can use as a final authority.

Keep praying the Lords prayer and join a good church..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know I asked a lot of questions and my grammar and spelling isn’t the best, but the main thing I want is input on about me hearing to sell my things and the Holy Spirit withdrawing from me cause I haven’t done that.

From my point of view…

The Holy Spirit did not leave you. (John 14:16)

You do not need to sell all our stuff. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

You need to love God with all your heart. (Matthew 22:37-38)

You need to love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:39-40)

It sounds to me like you’ve already got that covered.

Go in peace.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
guys like Tim Conway and Michael Chriswell when they preach I hear no joy Tim looks like he’s been beat when he preaches and Micheal acts like he is so scared he’s going to disobey God any moment.

A simple suggestion.
Stop watching these guys on utube and start paying attention to the pastor of your church.

Why. Because watching utube preachers has given you a wacky idea of what Christian living is.

Rely on a preacher you can go and talk to.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...But I question isn’t all sin willful if not is all sin the same willful or not and if not just how to they live in order to not have this or get rid of it. The only way I see that is possible, is to live exactly like Jesus, walk the streets with hardly any belongings only what you absolutely need relying totally on God for everything (which I do anyway relying on faith in God for everything ...

I recommend you to read the Bible and pray that God helps you to understand it correctly. :)

For example, selling all you have, you don’t have to do that. It was said for a rich man who asked, what he should do to be perfect. And Jesus answered, sell all you got and follow him. Jesus is not on earth, so we can’t do the same. It is not wrong, if you use money for you, but don’t let it rule to you, that would be bad.

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Matt. 19:21

I have understood that sin means basically that person rejects God, or lives without God. If you don’t reject God, you have no sin. So, if you want to do right, be loyal to God, remain in truth and in His words. God’s law is basically in this:

He said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." He said to him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "'You shall not murder.' 'You shall not commit adultery.' 'You shall not steal.' 'You shall not offer false testimony.' 'Honor your father and mother.' And, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Matt.19:17-19

If you love your neighbor as yourself, you fulfill the law. Do so and don’t worry, if you love God. :)

My advice is, remain in truth always. It is not a problem, if you are not all knowing and perfect. The problem is, if you think you are perfect and all knowing, if you are not. :)

Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. And righteousness is more than actions, it is like state of mind, wisdom of the just, right understanding that makes person do what is right. The right actions should not be done because person tries to gain salvation or something, but because it is right and good. I think that is the difference between righteous and non-righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

One sign of righteousness is that person speaks truth in his heart, like in this:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

Upvote 0

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you regularly attending (in person) an actual brick and mortar church that meets in actual real life?

If yes - have you requested a sit-down with the pastor for counseling?

Do this first. Meet with your pastor and take his advice. Pastors help people deal with real life - and real life is far more messy and nuanced than a 5 minute YouTube sermonette....

You have very good questions and very real concerns. BUT it sounds like you are filling your brain with too much of “The Internet”....

Second - back WAY off the Internet YouTube videos.

The trouble with Internet Preaching is that it’s easy to DECLARE hard line black and white idealism that is completely and totally impossible to live up to in real life.

For example - to put Jesus preaching about selling all your things into perspective......

40 years after Jesus death and resurrection - the entire Middle East including Judea was destroyed by The Romans. Millions were killed and about 2 million were enslaved... This occurred WITHIN the actual lifetime of the majority of Jesus followers....

They had 2 options - flee or die.

Jesus and The Apostles were very firm in their direction to Flee. They were actively preparing Jesus’ followers to flee. That means you have to mentally and physically prepare yourself to leave at a moment’s notice... That’s what actually happened.... Land, houses, businesses, and the like are NOT liquid assets.. You can’t just roll them up in the middle of the night and take it with you when the Army shows up.... and if you didn’t flee - you died.....

You also have to be mentally prepared for the loss or confiscation of your possessions. This literally breaks people. It can cause people to go insane or fall into deep inconsolable depression... But - if you have already “Counted it all as loss” - the actual loss only has a small effect on you...

So this was extremely pragmatic advice to help prepare followers to flee from the actual destruction that was to come within their own lifetime.....

<snip>

Upvote 0

HouseH

Oct 8, 2018
North Carolina
✟14,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks folks for the wonderful reply’s most of them have been helpful

Some stuff I already know deep down

Yes I agree i should take it easy on internet preaching

I admit I watched these scary things on YouTube cause I knew I wasn’t living right and tried to scare myself into doing right

Was that a good idea or bad?

Probably bad I know

And

Yes I do go to a real church

And I have spoke to my pastor about this I mentioned that in the OP

I apologize if I seem rude and of course I have prayed and pray more I need to do

I guess I posted such a book of stuff

Because I am really concerned about what happened to me. It was something so real I didn’t just think it I felt it

If that makes any sense

It was unlike anything that has ever happened to me

Maybe I let my mind and thoughts get to sensitive

I guess that’s a way of putting it I hope more people share their input on this it as certainly made me feel a little better

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our goal is to live! .. And yet the wages of sin is death, and we all stumble in this way and that.. Some more than others, depending (Proverbs 22:6, Hosea 4:6, 2 Peter 2:1-2, 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12).

Thus, the world presents itself to us as a thing with which we interact, and it does so as a spiritual counterpart (1 John 4:4).

Therefore our philosophy, the way we think, it produces the way the world treats us (spiritually, to some degree - reputation and culture has a lot to do with it too, Matthew 24:12).

But it's a gamble every time - an opportunity for the soul to be won or lost - Proverbs 18:21, where if they prevail to think wrongly against us, they go away with the devil's spirit, whereas if we can heal them to be contrite and obedient to God, they are of The Holy Spirit (John 15:3, 1 Corinthians 10:4-6). This is why you see Jesus answering carefully (Proverbs 15:28, Mark 11:29, Mark 7:29, Matthew 8:13).

.. So because the world at large would rather you are stumbled than it be healed (John 3:19-21, John 15:20 - though the devil in it rather than them personally, the flesh .. Ephesians 6:12, 1 John 5:19 .. For it is a subtle serpent and they know not what they do), you need to recognise that nobody has greater authority in your faith than Jesus alone, and that any other person that you trust is potentially vulnerable to being stumbled and therefore demonic on a given day (some more than others as the conditions provide -philosophy & temptation, experience, and so forth).

My point in saying this is to reinforce that in this day and age, no person is Messiah, having all the perfect knowledge and speech. One person can teach good, reliable doctrine on one day and then be doing the devil's work moments later .. It's just the fact that the false teachings have brought in the counterfeit spirits. Hence St Paul's writing in Philippians 2:12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0