MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Cross-work of Christ separates (sanctifies) believers at rebirth from the old man (love the soul – hate the old self), which is where the curse of guilt from sin was incurred; and which separation we continuously are taught to learn to progress in. This involves its restraint from causing believers to desire sin, which is the seat of sin’s accomplishment concerning its “reign” and “dominion” (Rom 6:12, 14). The guilt is in the desiring of sin (which believers hate), and the sinning is the evidence of its indwelling.

The sinning of individuals is not the issue as much as it is the reason why one sins is! Unbelievers’ sins are “willful” (Heb 10:26), for they have not the “work” of God (Phil 2:13) in them, nor the Spirit’s opposition to its source—the old man (Gal 5:17), which answers to why believers’ sins are not willful (“but the evil which I would not, that I do” – Rom 7:19).

Continually walking conscientiously guilt-free of sin’s condemnation is not only to fully comprehend the Cross of Christ but is also to manifest or “hold the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience” (1Tim 3:9)—despite the old man’s presence and attempts.
- NC

Self-Repudiation

“He that watereth shall be watered also himself (Prov 11:25). The more you impart to others what you have received, the more will be committed to you. The lapidary increases his wealth, not only by acquiring diamonds, but in setting them to the best advantage. In the same way will you increase your possession in the Lord Jesus the more you discover the value of each of His, and devote yourself to making them brilliant.

It is not enough to loathe yourself (my opinion, meaning hate old self, e.g. “old man”; “hate evil” - Psa 97:10; Pro 8:13—NC). This is the negative; and though always necessary to make room for the positive, yet it becomes a snare if the positive be not added; you will not have roasted that which you took in hunting. The more you abhor yourself before God, the more you will depend on Him, because you lose self-dependence.

The loss of everything here does not, as we see with Job’s case, lead to self-repudiation, but to self-justification. Not until he sees God does he feel the true state of his life and nature. When it is all abhorred in His presence, in the light in which it is, you find, like Peter, the only One to cling to (Jhn 6:8). A man might dwell forever on his ruin and shame, and yet never reach the new ground, where God’s favor could greet him in a way double to any he had ever known.

The fact of condemning oneself (my opinion, old self—NC) where there is conscience is a relief; but occupation with it leads to being morbid and inactive, and consigns one to a kind of despair, expressing itself in useless regrets and pining. But when you see yourself in the light of the Father’s countenance, because the Lord Jesus is the light, you at the same moment, turn from yourself and find the One to whom you can cleave. Now if there is thorough self-repudiation because of what you are in the father’s presence, there is no dwelling on it, or reference to it; for the heart turns to Him in whom it rests, whom also is the source of a new life and nature suited to the Father.

Here it finds itself interested in all His. As Job prayed for his friends, so do you now show that you not only turn from yourself, but that you have interest outside yourself; and as you do, lost favors are doubled. The lapidary augments his wealth by making the most of each precious stone. The part of greatness is not the faculty to see, but the power to give light. The Creator on earth was the light of the world.

The sure evidenced that you have turned yourself before the Father is that you are engrossed with Him who gives you a perfect position before Him, and is the source of every blessing to one otherwise so ruined. Then nothing of yourself can interest you; the only thing here which attracts you heart is what belongs to Him; and to that, and that only, do you devote yourself; not to note where they are defective, but to see how you may most effectively serve them.

If it is thus with you, you will be the first ripe grape hasting to maturity, in order that it might minister to and refresh the wary; or, like the ear of ripe corn, declining downward, to supply the want of the needy; and as you are, your soul will be deepened in the perfection and resources of the Lord Jesus and you will have confidence toward the Father. From the highest point to the lowest, you will be watered in your soul with the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

- J B Stoney

Excerpt from MJS devotional for Dec. 28:

“Christianity is totally opposed to Judaism, and any mixture of the two must result in the loss of all that is vital in the present plan of salvation. One made its appeal to the limited resources of the natural man and conditioned his life on the earth; the other sets aside the natural man, secures a whole new creation in Christ Jesus, and counsels that new being in his pilgrim journey to his heavenly home.

“The Jewish nation is the center of all things related to the earth. The Church is foreign to the earth and related to it only as a witnessing people. They are strangers and pilgrims, ambassadors whose citizenship is in heaven.”

- L S C

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Winken

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Even in the self-repudiation and denial, it's good to keep looking up, 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2), rather than to become introspective.
Hi F - Thanks for the reply! I believe the writers motive concerning introspection in this issue is to be knowledgeable but not preoccupied (4th paragraph) with the revealing of the sin nature in us. As our Christian walk and Bible study progresses we gain greater understanding of our old man and our new man, and God's dealings with them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The key is knowing who we are in Christ. We are new creations in Christ. We are a new species of person. There is no "old self". If there is a consciousness of the "old self" that is because the mind has not been fully transformed to be conformed to Christ. We are born of God, accepted in the beloved, seated with Christ at God's right hand, totally free from condemnation. We are more than forgiven sinners; we are new creations in Christ. We are to consider ourselves dead to ourselves and alive in Christ. "We have the sentence of death in ourselves that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead." "I am dead, nevertheless I live and the life I live I live by faith in Christ who loved me and gave Himself for me."

When a person is dead and buried, they no longer have an influence in our lives. Jesus said to someone, "Why are you seeking the living among the dead?" Those who are in Christ have eternal life right now, not having to wait until they physically die before receiving it. We are new creations in Christ right now and the total fulfillment of it will be when we pass over to glory and receive our new resurrected bodies. But we are expected to live as new creations in Christ right now, and not as forgiven sinners. Therefore the "old man" is dead and buried and no longer has to be considered in any shape or form. We now live from the hidden man in our new hearts which is growing in grace within us day by day.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The key is knowing who we are in Christ. We are new creations in Christ. We are a new species of person. There is no "old self". If there is a consciousness of the "old self" that is because the mind has not been fully transformed to be conformed to Christ.
Hi Oscarr, and thanks for the reply! I agree the believer is now of the new creation in the Lord Jesus, but it appears we are of different understandings concerning the continued dwelling of the sinful nature (old man). To the present I do not know of any general teachings (i.e. Bible commentators) that advocate the eradication of it, only the freedom in Christ from its power.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Oscarr, and thanks for the reply! I agree the believer is now of the new creation in the Lord Jesus, but it appears we are of different understandings concerning the continued dwelling of the sinful nature (old man). To the present I do not know of any general teachings (i.e. Bible commentators) that advocate the eradication of it, only the freedom in Christ from its power.
I understand your point and have no problem with it. Victory for us is that because we are new creations in Christ, we have the ability and right to live our lives as new creations and not have to be limited by the shortcomings and weakness of our old nature. This old nature is part of our physical and mental state and will cease to exist when we die physically. We will then have the fulfillment of the new creation in glory. But because we are new creations right now and have eternal life, we can transform our thinking and conduct in accordance with the new creation. This is why Paul says that we put our bodies into subjection and not let our physical and fleshly habit patterns hinder us from entering into the fullness of what God has for us in Christ.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Victory for us is that because we are new creations in Christ, we have the ability and right to live our lives as new creations and not have to be limited by the shortcomings and weakness of our old nature. This old nature is part of our physical and mental state and will cease to exist when we die physically.
I see your meaning. I was trying to make the point that the old nature is our sinful nature, not the physical body, though the sinful nature produced the death of the body. But what you're saying is true, that we can live according to God's desire--despite the old man and all else, for He "works" this in the believers (Phil 2:13).

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
RESPONSE: "Therefore the "old man" is dead and buried and no longer has to be considered in any shape or form."

Wrong!

At the salvation EVENT the spiritual battles during the sanctification PROCESS begin.

SEE: Paul's explanation in Romans 7: 14-25
....The Conflict of Two Natures

The "old man"/"sin nature" never "dies" 100%.
We all sin after salvation. 1 John 1

The "New Man" is comforted and guided by the permanently indwelling God the Holy Spirit into the will of God....More Like Christ...Less Like Sinful Self.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
RESPONSE: "Therefore the "old man" is dead and buried and no longer has to be considered in any shape or form."

Wrong!

At the salvation EVENT the spiritual battles during the sanctification PROCESS begin.

SEE: Paul's explanation in Romans 7: 14-25
....The Conflict of Two Natures

The "old man"/"sin nature" never "dies" 100%.
We all sin after salvation. 1 John 1

The "New Man" is comforted and guided by the permanently indwelling God the Holy Spirit into the will of God....More Like Christ...Less Like Sinful Self.
Hi RG, and thanks for your input. Yes, and good Scriptural example. Paul in his new nature does not agree with some things he does in the old nature, but the issue is what he desires in his new nature, which is what we do most--God's desires (Phil 2:13).

The believer in the new nature never desires to sin (reluctantly, as a captive - Rom 7:23), so it is only committed in our old nature (Rom 7:17, 20). Thanks be unto God that He no longer considers us in our old nature (flesh - Rom 8:9).

Concerning "sanctification," my understanding is that this is complete at rebirth, same for holiness, righteousness, etc. Some are of the notion that our progressive learning to "walk in the Spirit" is our sanctification process but I see no Scripture presenting it as a process but a past tense action resulting in an ongoing condition. It means the same as holiness - separated unto God.

Blessings!

Upvote 0