australia
✟20,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is your perspective of self-proclaimed prophets? I've met someone who calls themselves a prophet but I have my doubts because:
- This person attacks other Christians, sometimes pointing out that certain people in our Christian community are not Christians (just pretending to be) and warning me to avoid such people because they are not truly following Jesus.
- Somehow gets all this information about people that are probably not very conducive- I feel like we should be loving our enemies rather than gossiping about them.
- Pretends to be nice and friendly to spiritual enemies and opposition but has a very different attitude towards them behind closed doors.

My main concern is about the gossip part and I feel like hanging around this 'prophet' will eventually cause me to fall deeper into gossiping too as you become the type of person you hang around with. At the same time, this person appears to be very zealous for God and to be very well versed with scripture (testing the things heard and seen according to the Word rather than just believing everything that is said by authorities, leaders and church). What do you think?

HolyWalk

Feb 27, 2017
United Kingdom
✟15,415.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think people who claim to be Prophets need to back-up their claims. I would always urge somebody to pray about a person who claims to be a Prophet; its wise to consider why a person who claim to be a Prophet.
From what you have written, I believe this 'Prophet' has the wrong attitude; Jesus teaches love and compassion - I think the person you have spoken to wishes to turn people against each other.

You are correct @Fivesenses when you say that we should love our enemies; see the verses below:

Matthew 5:44 (NIV) But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:39 (NIV) But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

We should pray for those enemies and not speak ill of them; if we do speak evil of them, we are not better than the enemies themselves.

I strongly advise you to pray on this and allow Jesus to guide you; in the meantime though, be cautious is accepting what they proclaim.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He calls himself a prophet. What does God call Him?

Didache ch. 11, especially verse 8 is how the early church did it. ~The Didache~ "But not everyone who speaks in a spirit is a prophet, except he have the behaviour of the Lord. From his behaviour, then, the false prophet and the true prophet shall be known."

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Take my opinion with a grain of salt, for the bible calls me a prophet.

Elisas told the king he was sinning. Moses told the people they were sinning. John the baptist told the king he was sinning. God told one prophet that if God says someone is sinning and that prophet does not tell them, then that sin would be on the prophets head. It's just what prophets do.

Gossiping, however, is, in my opinion, a sin, and no prophet should be doing that.

If this prophet backs up what they say bibically, then one could be considered a fool to not take it under advisement even if they are not a prophet.

There is a huge problem, however, that I personally believe that the majority of people who call themselves prophets are in fact con men. Another good portion are deceived either by the devil or their own mind.

If you are not loving your neighbor as yourself you are sinning. Period. If the "prophet" points this out and it is true, why are you questioning their status and not addressing the sin?

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him." (Deuteronomy 18:21-22)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is your perspective of self-proclaimed prophets? I've met someone who calls themselves a prophet but I have my doubts because:
- This person attacks other Christians, sometimes pointing out that certain people in our Christian community are not Christians (just pretending to be) and warning me to avoid such people because they are not truly following Jesus.
- Somehow gets all this information about people that are probably not very conducive- I feel like we should be loving our enemies rather than gossiping about them.
- Pretends to be nice and friendly to spiritual enemies and opposition but has a very different attitude towards them behind closed doors.

My main concern is about the gossip part and I feel like hanging around this 'prophet' will eventually cause me to fall deeper into gossiping too as you become the type of person you hang around with. At the same time, this person appears to be very zealous for God and to be very well versed with scripture (testing the things heard and seen according to the Word rather than just believing everything that is said by authorities, leaders and church). What do you think?

Does the conduct of the prophet reflect godly character?
Does the prophet have abundant fruit?
Are the words of the prophet consistent with Scripture?
Do the people benefit spiritually from the prophet’s ministry?

Fivesenses, The bible say:

Proverbs 12:26 "The righteous should choose his friends carefully,
For the way of the wicked leads them astray."

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Humans are to help you in your efforts to seek and know God. Since Christ's death, we do not need any humans to hear the Lord's voice. I emphasize your efforts, because no individual can tell what is from God and what is not except by the Holy Spirit within him/her. You need to get to know God better and be obedient. Study Scripture and act on what you read (James 1:22) and you will be able to recognize the Lord's voice better and better over the years. He never contradicts his nature or what he said in Scripture.

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1, 1984 NIV)

If you have a conflict with something said, remember this:

for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:13, 1984 NIV)

Trust God to work in your heart directly more than what might come through anyone else.

In talking about prophesying in a church, the Apostle Paul wrote how God uses prophets:

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. (1 Corinthians 14:3, 1984 NIV)

God is love. His love will be behind every message from him. This is consistent with how God has commanded us to speak to each other, too.

Upvote 0

Fivesenses

Oct 6, 2016
australia
✟20,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement. I have been prompted to not gossip and backstab people, even listening to the prophet talk bad about other Christians (who they believe are actually evil and false) will not strengthen me in this area and I'm condoning it if I allow such conversations to continue. I'm not planning to compromise my faith by just going along with any immoral and unbiblical behaviour from either side.

I just feel like even if the opposition is in the wrong, it is important that we sharpen our minds and hearts but not allow our disagreement (or even a sense of self-righteousness) to become an excuse to attack them by talking about them behind their back. Don't snoop around about it (I think God despises those who operate in secret and darkness) - be honest, blameless. My conscience have been pricking me about gossiping about someone's personal life and character. Yes point out their wrong behaviour and anything being done or acted out that displeases God but go to them, talk it out and avoid being menacing about how they are in their own life, especially behind their back.

I've confronted the self-proclaimed prophet and obviously angered the person and received some pretty horrible attack/criticism since I'm being seen as weak or fearful for standing up for what is right. Actually, I already predicted that there will be spiritual opposition when I take a step of faith, knowing that God would be more pleased with me if I refuse to backstab and instead speak more edifying things. Speak everything out of love, love your enemies (but of course not just sitting back and letting them get away with evil doings) and serve God in everywhere we are by being Christ-like - not only towards those who side and agree with us.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of times believers who have a strong focus on hearing from God, can become unbalanced and actually start hearing from Satan. I say this because it happened to me. I sought God strongly to hear from him, and although I do believe some of the things I was hearing was coming from God, Satan began to seed negative revelation among the things I was seeking. Being nieve I began to believe every thing I heard.

I would say the guy you are mixing with falls into that category, He is receiving mixed revelation, and can not decern the fact that Satan is now using him for destructive purposes, i.e. seeding doubt into other believers.

I don't know what to recommed in the situation, just be kind to the person, but maybe limit the amount of time you spend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fivesenses

Oct 6, 2016
australia
✟20,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of times believers who have a strong focus on hearing from God, can become unbalanced and actually start hearing from Satan. I say this because it happened to me. I sought God strongly to hear from him, and although I do believe some of the things I was hearing was coming from God, Satan began to seed negative revelation among the things I was seeking. Being nieve I began to believe every thing I heard.

I would say the guy you are mixing with falls into that category, He is receiving mixed revelation, and can not decern the fact that Satan is now using him for destructive purposes, i.e. seeding doubt into other believers.

I don't know what to recommed in the situation, just be kind to the person, but maybe limit the amount of time you spend.

How did you end up realising that you were not only hearing from God?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did you end up realising that you were not only hearing from God?

It got all too confusing so I just stopped trying, then with time I was able to reflect on what was happening.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This is absolutely correct and something I've also experienced. I believe that everyone can hear the devil, they just perceive it as their own thoughts. A person who hears God also hears the devil and much discernment must be made as to who it is you are hearing.

Look at Balaam, he was a prophet yet did not serve God as he should have, and wound up dying for it as God sent an angel to block his donkey's path as he was trying to flee the people he was serving ad the Isrealites destroyed them.

All being said, a prophet is still a man.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fivesenses, there is another type of prophet to be aware of and that is
those who take after Balaam... For all Balaam's talk about speaking only what God put into his mouth, he was wishing to curse the children of Israel for the generous fee Balak would pay him.
Balaam uttered a blessing instead of a curse, but only because God gave him no option;
Balaam kept going along with Balak's repeated attempts to get a curse from God upon the Israelites, because like Balak he hoped that maybe somehow God could be pressured into doing a backflip.
However, God refused to listen, and He was angry with Balaam for not rejecting Balak's proposal outright from the very first...Numbers 22:12.
God deals with Balaam...Joshua 13:22

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your perspective of self-proclaimed prophets?
I am against them in general.
I've met someone who calls themselves a prophet but I have my doubts because:
That sounds like a person under the influence of a Jezebel attitude/spirit. For more information I suggest you get a couple of books from Steve Sampson entitled "I was always on my Mind" and "Confronting Jezebel."

always_mind-book.png
51uTm-3f2SL._UY250_.jpg
Steve Sampson Ministries :: Books

I think you should run away from that person as fast as you can. Do not get trapped in their sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think anyone who calls himself a prophet needs to be avoided. Period. You are worried and concerned, yet you are still "hanging around" with him, "Five senses."
Agree. I got burned bad by someone who was a "prophet" ...of advise you run ,run like u know what

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yahweh uses imperfect people. It doesn't mean that every prophet is bad/evil.

"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers," Eph 4:11
"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy." I Cor 14:1
"For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged." I Cor 14:31+++

Once a prophetic word is given, it's to be tested. "Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is good." I Thess 5:20-21 How does it compare to Scripture? There's asking Yahweh for ourselves and confirmation such as Acts 9.

Upvote 0

Deeply Blessed

Sep 11, 2017
South
✟7,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement. I have been prompted to not gossip and backstab people, even listening to the prophet talk bad about other Christians (who they believe are actually evil and false) will not strengthen me in this area and I'm condoning it if I allow such conversations to continue. I'm not planning to compromise my faith by just going along with any immoral and unbiblical behaviour from either side.

I just feel like even if the opposition is in the wrong, it is important that we sharpen our minds and hearts but not allow our disagreement (or even a sense of self-righteousness) to become an excuse to attack them by talking about them behind their back. Don't snoop around about it (I think God despises those who operate in secret and darkness) - be honest, blameless. My conscience have been pricking me about gossiping about someone's personal life and character. Yes point out their wrong behaviour and anything being done or acted out that displeases God but go to them, talk it out and avoid being menacing about how they are in their own life, especially behind their back.

I've confronted the self-proclaimed prophet and obviously angered the person and received some pretty horrible attack/criticism since I'm being seen as weak or fearful for standing up for what is right. Actually, I already predicted that there will be spiritual opposition when I take a step of faith, knowing that God would be more pleased with me if I refuse to backstab and instead speak more edifying things. Speak everything out of love, love your enemies (but of course not just sitting back and letting them get away with evil doings) and serve God in everywhere we are by being Christ-like - not only towards those who side and agree with us.
I'm curious about the current status. Any changes?

Upvote 0