Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know, the horrible agenda of making people drive safely! The horrors!

It's not up to the MSM to make people do anything. Their job is to report the news.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was making a point about human nature and its tendency to exagerate dangers. Like how people are afraid of getting eaten by sharks or terrorists.
Especially the terrorists trying to eat us. You really gotta watch out for those.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Especially the terrorists trying to eat us. You really gotta watch out for those.
At least we're safe from muslim terrorists on that front, I don't think human meat is halal.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What part of the article is not news?

The parts where they inject statements based on their own opinions to get the reader to see the issue the way the journalist wants them to see it, along with selective facts to support their opinion while leaving out any alternative viewpoint. From the article:

"The fatal crash will most likely raise questions about regulations for self-driving cars. Testing of self-driving cars is already underway for vehicles that have a human driver ready to take over if something goes wrong, but states are starting to allow companies to test cars without a person in the driver’s seat. This month, California said that, in April, it would start allowing companies to test autonomous vehicles without anyone behind the wheel."

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The parts where they inject statements based on their own opinions to get the reader to see the issue the way the journalist wants them to see it, along with selective facts to support their opinion while leaving out any alternative viewpoint. From the article:

"The fatal crash will most likely raise questions about regulations for self-driving cars. Testing of self-driving cars is already underway for vehicles that have a human driver ready to take over if something goes wrong, but states are starting to allow companies to test cars without a person in the driver’s seat. This month, California said that, in April, it would start allowing companies to test autonomous vehicles without anyone behind the wheel."
I don't see any opinion in what you quoted.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

[shrug]

I guess I'm not seeing a specific viewpoint with the excerpt you cited....the author could be for or against self-driving cars. It's only logical that authorities will review regulations once the investigation of this accident is complete.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
[shrug]

I guess I'm not seeing a specific viewpoint with the excerpt you cited....the author could be for or against self-driving cars. It's only logical that authorities will review regulations once the investigation of this accident is complete.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Still not seeing it. Maybe if you use some red colored text?

• Haha
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The first part is the only one close to being an opinion but it hardly pushes any kind of agenda. It's more just a prediction of what will likely come of cases like this. The second part is not an opinion at all.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Still not seeing it. Maybe if you use some red colored text?

Do you wear glasses? It's possible your prescription needs to be updated. It might be a good idea to schedule an appointment. The color of the text shouldn't make any difference.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The first part is the only one close to being an opinion but it hardly pushes any kind of agenda. It's more just a prediction of what will likely come of cases like this. The second part is not an opinion at all.

But it's still there to try to make the reader feel like it's a big concern and make it sound like the car industry is just going to go ahead and continue as if nothing has happened. It's not much different from when there's a mass shooting and then a reporter goes into how the NRA opposes new gun laws, as if it's automatically assumed that one was related to the other. By inserting statements like that into the story, the reporter is linking things together to try to sway the reader into doing the same.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it's still there to try to make the reader feel like it's a big concern and make it sound like the car industry is just going to go ahead and continue as if nothing has happened. It's not much different from when there's a mass shooting and then a reporter goes into how the NRA opposes new gun laws, as if it's automatically assumed that one was related to the other. By inserting statements like that into the story, the reporter is linking things together to try to sway the reader into doing the same.

It is a big concern *if* the car's sensors/software had sufficient time to detect and react to a pedestrian crossing in front of it....

We'll see what the investigation reveals.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Currently, there is a sample size of one and no statistical data of any value can be extracted from that.

Also, it depends on which metric you use. Do you count per vehicle? Per time driven? Per miles driven? How do you count various circumstances?

Insurance companies are paid to know such things, they will have the statistics you are looking, so you can look to them to decide how to insure self driving cars for liability purposes.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With things like this, it's important not to rush to judgment. We don't know whether the pedestrian stepped out in front of the car or not, and we shouldn't assume a variation of the Principal Skinner meme:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/645/713/888.jpg

It could be very well that the software and/or hardware failed. If it did, I'm sure the people developing autonomous driving will eventually fix the bug, because they're very bright people.

At the same time, I'm concerned that we're putting too many of our eggs in one basket with self-driving cars. It seems we decided, at some point, that encouraging humans to be better drivers was impossible and that technology had to "save" us from ourselves. I'm not against self-driving cars, per se, but I don't like the fact that they take away control, and I'm still not 100% convinced that the technology is the saving grace that many people seem to think it is.

My philosophy is that we need to be the change that we want to see in the world, rather than sitting and waiting for technology to create "utopia" for us.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With things like this, it's important not to rush to judgment. We don't know whether the pedestrian stepped out in front of the car or not, and we shouldn't assume a variation of the Principal Skinner meme:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/645/713/888.jpg

It could be very well that the software and/or hardware failed. If it did, I'm sure the people developing autonomous driving will eventually fix the bug, because they're very bright people.

At the same time, I'm concerned that we're putting too many of our eggs in one basket with self-driving cars. It seems we decided, at some point, that encouraging humans to be better drivers was impossible and that technology had to "save" us from ourselves. I'm not against self-driving cars, per se, but I don't like the fact that they take away control, and I'm still not 100% convinced that the technology is the saving grace that many people seem to think it is.

My philosophy is that we need to be the change that we want to see in the world, rather than sitting and waiting for technology to create "utopia" for us.
Ringo

Personally, I'm more scared of people reverse engineering self-driving cars to commit remote acts of terrorism.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0