SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian
A woman in Tempe, Ariz., died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on public roads.

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode occurred overnight, although the authorities did not specify whether it was late Sunday or early Monday. The woman was not publicly identified.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,903.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And now this technology will be set back for months, if not entirely nixed because of a loss of trust, while every day thousands are killed by human drivers.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now this technology will be set back for months, if not entirely nixed because of a loss of trust, while every day thousands are killed by human drivers.
There are many multi millions of human operated vehicles on the road and how many autonomous vehicles? I can't but think that the percentage of pedestrians killed per human operated vehicles is now lower than the percentage of pedestrians killed per autonomous vehicles. I would certainly be open to someone doing the research and proving my suspicions wrong.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,903.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There are many multi millions of human operated vehicles on the road and how many autonomous vehicles? I can't but think that the percentage of pedestrians killed per human operated vehicles is now lower than the percentage of pedestrians killed per autonomous vehicles. I would certainly be open to someone doing the research and proving my suspicions wrong.
Currently, there is a sample size of one and no statistical data of any value can be extracted from that.

Also, it depends on which metric you use. Do you count per vehicle? Per time driven? Per miles driven? How do you count various circumstances?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Currently, there is a sample size of one and no statistical data of any value can be extracted from that.

Also, it depends on which metric you use. Do you count per vehicle? Per time driven? Per miles driven? How do you count various circumstances?

I agree so any point you were attempting to make by mentioning how many were killed by human driven vehicles is nicely rebutted by this most recent post of yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
"..the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk.."
I'm sure to some this would be significant. However, what it usually means is that the street being crossed doesn't have crosswalks.

Even if it did, that makes it still questionable, considering that kids and pets can dart out in front of them.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Even if it did, that makes it still questionable, considering that kids and pets can dart out in front of them.
Agree.

It just bugs me when I see that phrase inserted into a news story and follow-up shows that there isn't a crosswalk within miles of the location in question.
I searched for an address on this one to verify and I haven't found it published (yet).

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I was going to say...

It's a newer technology so it's going to be heavily scrutinized...but in the long run, I have no doubts that it'll end up being demonstrated to be safer than human drivers.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The detection and response times of automated systems are going to be faster than any human times. This incident could have been purely the companies fault, who knows, but long term those kids and pets are going to be much safer with computers trying to avoid them than people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agree.

It just bugs me when I see that phrase inserted into a news story and follow-up shows that there isn't a crosswalk within miles of the location in question.
I searched for an address on this one to verify and I haven't found it published (yet).

"The woman was crossing outside the designated crosswalk on Mill Avenue near Curry Road at about 10 p.m. when she was hit, police said."

Self-driving Uber strikes, kills woman crossing road in Tempe

...as you can see, there are very well marked crosswalks at this intersection (most of Tempe has very wide and well marked streets):

Google Maps

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,903.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I agree so any point you were attempting to make by mentioning how many were killed by human driven vehicles is nicely rebutted by this most recent post of yours.
I was making a point about human nature and its tendency to exagerate dangers. Like how people are afraid of getting eaten by sharks or terrorists.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Agree.

That's how they insert their own little agendas into their "reporting". Just like when there is a car accident, they usually conclude the story with, "The driver was/was not wearing their safety belt". Another one if it is a political story is when they try to tie a scandal with someone else they don't like, as in "This comes in the midst of allegations that Republican President Donald Trump is involved with....."

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,903.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's how they insert their own little agendas into their "reporting". Just like when there is a car accident, they usually conclude the story with, "The driver was/was not wearing their safety belt".
I know, the horrible agenda of making people drive safely! The horrors!

Upvote 0