USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Those who think that they are justified by their obedience to God's Law (their works) have convinced themselves of one of two lies.

1) God grades on a curve. (They lower the demands of the Law)

2) They live in obedience to the Law. (They literally think that they love God and neighbor as required by the Law)

Neither option is the gospel. Both are ways of self-justification.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Those who think that they are justified by their obedience to God's Law (their works) have convinced themselves of one of two lies.

1) God grades on a curve. (They lower the demands of the Law)

2) They live in obedience to the Law. (They literally think that they love God and neighbor as required by the Law)

Neither option is the gospel. Both are ways of self-justification.

What law do you seem to be having difficulty with?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I seem to have trouble keeping any one of them perfectly as intended. Do you?

1Jo 5:3

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
1Jo 5:3

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

I'm happy for you.

You, always "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

You, always "love you enemies, and pray God's blessing upon them: But I say to you, iLove your enemies and jpray for those who persecute you,45 kso that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun riseon the evil and on the good, and lsends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 mFor if youlove those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do thesame? 47 And if you greet only your brothers,9 what more are you doing than others? Do not even nthe Gentiles do the same?

You are perfect as God is perfect: 48 oYou therefore must be pperfect, qas yourheavenly Father is perfect.

You never call a brother a fool: “You have heard that it was said to those of old, z‘You shall not murder; andwhoever murders will be liable ato judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that beveryone who isangry with his brother3 will be liable ato judgment; whoever insults4 his brother willbe liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to cthe hell of fire."

You have never looked at a woman with lustful intent: You have heard that it was said, i‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say toyou that jeveryone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

You have never retaliated, and given to everyone who asks: “You have heard that it was said, y‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’39 But I say to you, zDo not resist the one who is evil. But aif anyone bslaps you on theright cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And zif anyone would sue you and take yourtunic,8 let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone cforces you to go one mile, gowith him two miles. 42 dGive to the one who begs from you, and edo not refuse the onewho would borrow from you.​

I'm happy to hear that, like you Rich Young Ruler, you have obeyed God's commands from birth — or have you???

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm happy for you.

You, always "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

You, always "love you enemies, and pray God's blessing upon them: But I say to you, iLove your enemies and jpray for those who persecute you,45 kso that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun riseon the evil and on the good, and lsends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 mFor if youlove those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do thesame? 47 And if you greet only your brothers,9 what more are you doing than others? Do not even nthe Gentiles do the same?

You are perfect as God is perfect: 48 oYou therefore must be pperfect, qas yourheavenly Father is perfect.

You never call a brother a fool: “You have heard that it was said to those of old, z‘You shall not murder; andwhoever murders will be liable ato judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that beveryone who isangry with his brother3 will be liable ato judgment; whoever insults4 his brother willbe liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to cthe hell of fire."

You have never looked at a woman with lustful intent: You have heard that it was said, i‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say toyou that jeveryone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

You have never retaliated, and given to everyone who asks: “You have heard that it was said, y‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’39 But I say to you, zDo not resist the one who is evil. But aif anyone bslaps you on theright cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And zif anyone would sue you and take yourtunic,8 let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone cforces you to go one mile, gowith him two miles. 42 dGive to the one who begs from you, and edo not refuse the onewho would borrow from you.​

I'm happy to hear that, like you Rich Young Ruler, you have obeyed God's commands from birth — or have you???

Had the rich young ruler do all of those things? Because I don't remember him claiming that he did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Had the rich young ruler do all of those things? Because I don't remember him claiming that he did.

Better question: How do *you* claim that you've done those things and more?

When asked, "What must I do to inherit eternal life: You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Better question: How do *you* claim that you've done those things and more?

When asked, "What must I do to inherit eternal life: You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

I don't do those things.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And then Jesus tested the young ruler on the commands not originally listed. Meaning, Jesus tested him on the human to human commands but when faced with choosing between the ruler's wealth (idolatry) over following Christ (God), the man went away disappointed.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We enter in to salvation by the grace of God. Obedience afterwards leads to righteousness.
Weird. The Bible says we are made righteous by faith.

I’ll stick with the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0