Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians focus on self-aggrandizement?
Of course not. As Jesus said: "He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:3 Jesus lived His life as an example for us to follow. He taught us that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. Those who want to be greatest have to become least. We are to be a servant to everyone.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course not. As Jesus said: "He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:3 Jesus lived His life as an example for us to follow. He taught us that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. Those who want to be greatest have to become least. We are to be a servant to everyone.
Wasn't it John the Baptist who said, "He must increase, but I must decrease"?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't it John the Baptist who said, "He must increase, but I must decrease"?
John the Baptist was a type of Elijah that prepared the way for Elisha, who had a double portion of Elijah's spirit and did many more miracles. So we are a type of Elisha and the student is not greater then the master.

Jesus has many teaching about this subject though. We are told the first shall be last and the last shall be first and those who want to be greatest have to be servant of all. We are to humble ourselves before God.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
John the Baptist was a type of Elijah that prepared the way for Elisha, who had a double portion of Elijah's spirit and did many more miracles. So we are a type of Elisha and the student is not greater then the master.

Jesus has many teaching about this subject though. We are told the first shall be last and the last shall be first and those who want to be greatest have to be servant of all. We are to humble ourselves before God.
Some fall into sin early in life, while others are wise enough not to do that. Later, though, many of those who fell into sin early in life repent, while many of those who didn't fall into sin early in life become prideful. And so, as I interpret the scripture, many of the first will be last, and many of the last will be first.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And so, as I interpret the scripture, many of the first will be last, and many of the last will be first.
First or last Jesus makes it clear that the wages are the same. Matthew 20 12" ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’ "

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
First or last Jesus makes it clear that the wages are the same. Matthew 20 12" ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’ "
Those who were hired late in the day aren't any better off than those hired early in the day, I don't think. When we are wandering in the wilderness, it's not like we're at a party.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who were hired late in the day aren't any better off than those hired early in the day, I don't think. When we are wandering in the wilderness, it's not like we're at a party.
Yes for me a life without Christ is not a life worth living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums