• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Selection from Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by AngelAmidala, Oct 30, 2001.

1. AngelAmidala

AngelAmidala Legend

+617
    Methodist
    Single
    By: Charles Swindoll

Ever get a song on your mind?...It happened to me last week...I found myself listening to what Watts wrote over two centuries ago:

Alas! and did my Savior bleed?

And did my Sovereign die?

Would he devote that sacred head

For such a worm as I?

I frowned as that last line faded away. "A worm?" Does God see people as "worms"? When Christ died did He "devote that sacred head" for worms? Now, obviously, Watts wanted to portray a vivid illustration of sinful mankind - lost, undeserving, spiritually worthless, wicked within. Dipping his brush in Job 25 and Isaiah 41, the hymnist painted such a picture, using the very term Scripture uses - worm. He was biblical and therefore justified his choice of terms for the text. Frankly, we were worm-like when our righteous God found us - lowly, wandering, dirty, unattractive, grubby creatures.

But that doesn't mean we work hard at making ourselves into worms now. A child of God is not a worm. If God had wanted you to be a worm, He could have very easily made you one!...When Watts wrote of worms he was merely using a word picture. Many others, however, have framed it as a model to follow, calling it humility. This "worm theology" creates enormous problems.

It wears many faces - all sad. It crawls out from between the mattress and springs in the morning, telling itself, "I'm nothing. I'm a worm. Woe, woe. I can't do anything and even if I appear to be doing something, it's not really
    me. Woe! I must annihilate self-respect...crucify all motivation and ambition...I'm a worm. Good for nothing except crawling very slowly, drowning in mud puddles, or getting stepped on. Woe, woe, woe."

There's one main problem with this sort of thinking - it's phony. No matter how diligently we labor to appear genuinely humble, it amounts to nothing more than trying to look good in another way...

And therin lies the ugly sin: PRIDE.

Heretical though it may sound, no one who actually hates himself can adequately share the love of Christ. Our Lord taught that we were to love our neighbors as we love ourselves...

Have you taken the time this week to consider before your Lord who you really are?

Sinful? Oh yes. Undeserving? Absolutely. Imperfect? Who isn't. Selfish? Indeed! Wrong? More often than not.

But a worm? Useless? Unimportant? Spineless? Meaningless? No, not that. God declared us righteous. He lifted us out of miry clay and set us upon a rock. He invites us to approach him with boldness. And he means it!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. lucypevensie

lucypevensie Not drinking the kool-aid Supporter

+24,892
    Christian
    Married
    That "Growing Strong" book is really good, isn't it!

3. AngelAmidala

AngelAmidala Legend

+617
    Methodist
    Single
    Actually, I don't really know. (is there a sheepish grin on this thing?)

I have The Inspirational Study Bible edited by Max Lucado...and that's where I get the devotionals from. Most of the pages have a little bit of something from a variety of authors. I do have to say though, out of all the authors in the book, Charles Swindoll is one of my favorites.