Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is then dating John the Baptist's ministry. John needs to be killed before Jesus' death, but we know from Josephus that Antipas' defeat in 36 AD was blamed on his execution. John was recorded as dying due to Antipas marrying Herodias and John objecting. This would have to place this as around 26-28 AD at the latest, which is a significant change of the chronology. The longer the time period from 36 AD, the less plausible the date for the execution of John. This hypothesis is pushing 10 years then.
It is certainly a possible hypothesis, and the idea of Jesus' ministry coinciding with Sabbatical and Jubilee years is attractive from a soteriological standpoint. However, the disciples are recorded as plucking and eating wheat, while the land was supposed to lie fallow in these years. This may just mean that people weren't properly following the custom, but Josephus recorded Roman tax breaks for these years, so this seems unlikely therefore. Alternately, this may have occurred in the first year of His ministry, as the Synoptics only mention one vs the three passovers of John. It is very speculative though.

We still remember John the Baptist after 2000 years... 5-10 years would be well within vivid living memory... Moreover, 29-36AD = 7 years = 1 Sabbatical cycle, such that a defeat in 36 AD would immediately bring to memory a plausible Spiritual explanation from once cycle prior ?

Upvote 0

KA7

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lucius Aelius Sejanus was the prefect of the Praetorian Guard from 14 - 31 AD under Tiberius. He was a shrewd operator, an equestrian who managed by intrigue and effectiveness to rise to become the second man of the Empire. Once Tiberius withdrew to Capri, he functionally ran the Empire before his sudden and precipitous fall in 31 AD.

To the historical narrative of the passion, he is actually quite a relevant player. We know Sejanus tried to establish his men in key positions and controlled appointments after Tiberius withdrew from Rome. This occurred in 26 AD, the same year Pontius Pilate was appointed prefect of Judaea. Sejanus is thus either responsible or at least involved in Pilate's appointment. The chance of Pilate being one of Sejanus' appointments is quite high.

Now Philo reports how Sejanus was opposed to the Jews, how he "desired to destroy our nation". Both Philo and Josephus reports Pilate acting quite violently to the Jews, bringing soldiers inbetween a crowd to disperse them and practically outraging them by bringing the standards into Jerusalem. This is quite understandable if Pilate was doing so on Sejanus' orders.

The Pilate in the gospels however, is careful not to offend the Jewish leadership and to keep them docile. This is incongruous to the man portrayed as violently suppressing them otherwise. How can we reconcile these conflicting views of Pilate?

The answer is the fall of Sejanus. When he was executed, we see Tiberius purging those associated with him and reversing his policies. Clearly his anti-Jewish policies would fall in this category and the best thing for a Sejanus-appointee would be to keep his head down. This is perhaps where the Jewish leadership's barb to Pilate of him being "no friend of Caesar" hits home. It is a tangible threat to report him, in a position where he is vulnerable to be recalled, if not exiled or killed, if he was Sejanus' creature. No wonder the astute Pilate would go out of his way to mollify the Jewish leadership in this case. The more brash Pilate of when Sejanus was still alive to protect him, would have just let Jesus go if he considered Him innocent, as causing consternation and suppressing resulting unrest was not uncommon earlier in his governorship. Tiberius continued purging Sejanus' appointees for the duration of his reign, although it petered out after about 34 AD.

If this is true, then the trial of Jesus had to have taken placed after 31 AD, after Sejanus' fall, but before Pilate's recall in 36 AD. It seems to me the best way to reconcile the conflicting accounts of Pilate we have from the gospels and our 1st century historians, so is a fairly good bet.
This correlates very well with a death of John the Baptist not long before 36 AD as inferred from Josephus and taking into account a roughly 3 year ministry for Jesus, renders 33-35 AD as our best estimate for the Passion narrative.

The trial and crucifixion of Jesus was in AD 17. John's ministry began in AD 14.

A.D. 16-17 & The Ministry and Passion of Jesus Christ - Short Version - 8-22 -2017.pdf

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The trial and crucifixion of Jesus was in AD 17. John's ministry began in AD 14.

A.D. 16-17 & The Ministry and Passion of Jesus Christ - Short Version - 8-22 -2017.pdf
Having quickly looked through your document, I disagree on a number of points:

Romans didn't date by Tribunician powers. They dated by Consuls of the year. If a Suffect consul was appointed, he remained a consul. They didn't just grant proconsular status as such, but appointed suffect ones to make up the need for more governors.
Some provincials dated by notable grants of titles or imperium to Emperors, as did provincial mints, such as Pilate's Prutah perhaps, but this was usually the reigning Emperor. Emperor was an informal title, as the principate was pretending to be the Republic. To think that earlier provisional and temporary grants to Tiberius by Augustus would thus be counted, is ludicrous. Where are the documents or coins dated by Agrippa or Marcellus then? They also received the tribunician status along with Augustus. This just doesn't make sense.

Further, if Josephus is writing chronologically, then immediately after Pilate's recall, we have Aretas fighting Antipas and then Herod Agrippa being arraigned in Rome. The problem is that Aretas' war is dated 36 AD and Herod Agrippa is released by Gaius (Caligula) in Josephus just after Pilate's recall - after Tiberius died. Thus if Josephus is chronological, Pilate was recalled in 36 AD.

Your argument seems to be based on an alternative reading of a word in Josephus, which reading is then contradicted just thereafter. Further it uses an unconventional theory of how to read dates of Tiberius' reign, of which no similar example from other colleagues of Augustus is extent.
You make very speculative claims on Vitellius' career, and take even more liberties with the sense of Josephus' text. For instance, you deny Pilate's 10 years were spent as Governor, but Josephus was busy explaining the events of his Governship. Why put in such a statement then, if not referring to the length thereof?

If I have the time and inclination, I might peruse your document more thoroughly, as someone appears to have put a lot of work into it. It does not seem convincing though, and I have not seen something that supports Pilate's period as governor having been incorrectly dated. Without first showing this sufficiently, no other claims hold water, since Jesus having been crucified under Pilate is so certain that we in fact put it in the Creed.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

KA7

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having quickly looked through your document, I disagree on a number of points:

Romans didn't date by Tribunician powers. They dated by Consuls of the year. If a Suffect consul was appointed, he remained a consul. They didn't just grant proconsular status as such, but appointed suffect ones to make up the need for more governors.
Some provincials dated by notable grants of titles or imperium to Emperors, as did provincial mints, such as Pilate's Prutah perhaps, but this was usually the reigning Emperor. Emperor was an informal title, as the principate was pretending to be the Republic. To think that earlier provisional and temporary grants to Tiberius by Augustus would thus be counted, is ludicrous. Where are the documents or coins dated by Agrippa or Marcellus then? They also received the tribunician status along with Augustus. This just doesn't make sense.

Further, if Josephus is writing chronologically, then immediately after Pilate's recall, we have Aretas fighting Antipas and then Herod Agrippa being arraigned in Rome. The problem is that Aretas' war is dated 36 AD and Herod Agrippa is released by Gaius (Caligula) in Josephus just after Pilate's recall - after Tiberius died. Thus if Josephus is chronological, Pilate was recalled in 36 AD.

Your argument seems to be based on an alternative reading of a word in Josephus, which reading is then contradicted just thereafter. Further it uses an unconventional theory of how to read dates of Tiberius' reign, of which no similar example from other colleagues of Augustus is extent.
You make very speculative claims on Vitellius' career, and take even more liberties with the sense of Josephus' text. For instance, you deny Pilate's 10 years were spent as Governor, but Josephus was busy explaining the events of his Governship. Why put in such a statement then, if not referring to the length thereof?

If I have the time and inclination, I might peruse your document more thoroughly, as someone appears to have put a lot of work into it. It does not seem convincing though, and I have not seen something that supports Pilate's period as governor having been incorrectly dated. Without first showing this sufficiently, no other claims hold water, since Jesus having been crucified under Pilate is so certain that we in fact put it in the Creed.

Please don't misunderstand: Jesus was crucified during Pilate's term as governor. That is a fact and I believe in the Gospel's one-hundred percent as well as all Holy Scripture from Genesis to Revelation and every book in between. The problem is, circa 27-36 is wrong for Pilate's term; he actually governed much earlier. Scholars who examine him under a microscope often come away convinced he governed much earlier than AD 27.

In a nutshell, Flavius Josephus promised he put Antiquities of the Jews in chronological order. Yet, he has Pilate in office governing before known AD 16 events. Meanwhile, he has the Crucifixion of Christ somewhere in AD 17-19 range. People say this can't be right based on Luke 3:1. But Luke was surely referring to Tiberius Caesar's fifteenth year of tribunician power (June 27, AD 13-June 26, AD 14) which is how that emperor commonly reckoned his reign. I'm confident Luke was not referring to his fifteenth regnal year.

As for your other comments...I know the Romans dated years by the two consuls. But that has nothing to do with how the Romans of Tiberius' era reckoned that emperor's reign: tribunician power. Extensive research clearly reveals Luke 3:1 refers to the fifteenth year of this and not his regnal year. Consular dating has nothing to do with 3:1.

I researched everything for seven years. There is no doubt Pilate was long gone before Antipas and the king warred which was 36. Besides, I'm not even sure why you're mentioning this. (This is the problem with quickly skimming through research 200 pages long and within minutes commenting on it--no offense intended, I understand you're busy.)

I am not taking liberties. Everything is well sourced.

I may not be understanding you correctly, but are you assuming I refer to Vitellus as a suffect consul before AD 34? That is not the case. Being consularis did not necessarily mean that person held the consulship. I'm saying if you take Josephus at his word of his work being in chronological order (his original Greek; not a Latin alternative) it can be easily deduced that Vitellius was awarded the status of ex-consul (ὑπατικόν, aka consularis, a title often awarded in name only during the empire) and he was that unnamed legate sent to govern Syria for Aelius Lamia circa 21-32 as mentioned by Dio, Tacitus and Suetonius. Pilate was removed during this time. Vitellius did not become a genuine consul until 34 many years later. Pilate's dismissal should not be confused with, and dated to, Vitellius' official governorship of Syria 35-39. Why would Pilate be ordered to report to Tiberius in Rome circa 36/37 considering that emperor had not stepped foot in that city for eleven years?

Again, Aelius Lamia's governorship of Syria was a farce according to Tacitus and others; he was detained in Rome for the duration of his term and an unknown legate was sent to be the real governor. That unnamed legate was obviously Vitellius. Read AJ 18 while keeping this in mind and you'll see for yourself that AJ is suddenly in chronological order just like Josephus promised (1.17). The only reason scholars currently claim the events in AJ 18 are out of order is because they are oblivious to this hidden anomaly. If Vitellius was not governing Syria in place of Lamia, who was? It surely wasn't Pacuvius. There's really no evidence at all for him.

The English translations of AJ 18 say that by the time Pilate arrived in Rome, Tiberius was dead. But the Greek word rendered, "dead" can grammatically be rendered Tiberius "had moved" before Pilate's arrival. Tiberius twice moved out of Rome: once early in AD 21 until sometime in 22 and then he permanently moved out in 26. Rendering μεταστάς "moved" keeps AJ 18 in chronological order if it's also understood that Vitellius was the legate sent to govern Syria circa 21-32. "Moved" also means Pilate's term in Judea ended much earlier than AD 36/37. Pilate was out of office by AD 21. This also explains why Pilate is governing before AD 16 events in AJ. Either Josephus kept his promise of keeping his reports in order of time they occurred in or he did not. Please read the pdf before jumping to any conclusion.

Moving on...

Where does Josephus say Pilate governed for ten years? Tarrying for ten does not mean "governing for ten."

Why would ancient historian and theologian, Paulus Orosius, say the great AD 17 earthquake was the Passion quake if it wasn't?

How come scientists cannot find an earthquake for AD 27-36?

There was only one great earthquake during the reign of Tiberius. It was in AD 17 while dark.

Why would Paulus Orosius say Jesus was born about the same time the gates of Janus were closed by the Romans for the third time (likely 13 BC) if this is not true? (I'm aware Orosius made a few contradictory statements. In another place, he said Jesus was born in 2 BC. But all other facts he put forth indicate 13 BC is actually correct.)

John's advice to the soldiers in Luke 3:14 was only apropos for AD 14/15 when mutinies broke out after the death of Augustus (the sixteenth year of Tiberius' TP). His advice would seem a bit out of place for AD 26 and beyond.

Why did Josephus say the Crucifixion was about the same time as the Paulina/Mundus scandal which in turn he said occurred about the same time as the Jewish banishment from Rome which is well known to have been AD 19? He's either telling the truth, lying or badly mistaken.

There's much, much more...

When it is recognized that Luke 3:1 refers to the fifteenth year of Tiberius' tribunician power, chronology is easily determined for the ministry and passion of Jesus Christ. Thinking it's his fifteenth regnal year causes the debate to go on and on as to which year Jesus was crucified in.

If you have the time, I strongly suggest you read the entire pdf otherwise you might inadvertently take comments of mine out of context. This subject is much too complex to respond to in a post. Some readers are probably already confused. Apologies. But that's the risk of complexity. Please read the pdf if you can free up the time. It would be much appreciated and you just might change your mind.

You said: "It does not seem convincing though, and I have not seen something that supports Pilate's period as governor having been incorrectly dated." If you don't read the pdf, then you probably never will. Besides, it's an easy, non-technical read and should be quickly accomplished. (my mediocre writing skills, aside.)

Have a great day! Sorry for being so long-winded.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Further, if Josephus is writing chronologically, then immediately after Pilate's recall, we have Aretas fighting Antipas and then Herod Agrippa being arraigned in Rome. The problem is that Aretas' war is dated 36 AD and Herod Agrippa is released by Gaius (Caligula) in Josephus just after Pilate's recall - after Tiberius died. Thus if Josephus is chronological, Pilate was recalled in 36 AD...

It may be relevant that travel on the Mediterranean was very treacherous during the winter, from October - March or so, such that Pilate's recall in 36 AD may imply recall in or around September

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please don't misunderstand: Jesus was crucified during Pilate's term as governor. That is a fact and I believe in the Gospel's one-hundred percent as well as all Holy Scripture from Genesis to Revelation and every book in between. The problem is, circa 27-36 is wrong for Pilate's term; he actually governed much earlier. Scholars who examine him under a microscope often come away convinced he governed much earlier than AD 27.

In a nutshell, Flavius Josephus promised he put Antiquities of the Jews in chronological order. Yet, he has Pilate in office governing before known AD 16 events. Meanwhile, he has the Crucifixion of Christ somewhere in AD 17-19 range. People say this can't be right based on Luke 3:1. But Luke was surely referring to Tiberius Caesar's fifteenth year of tribunician power (June 27, AD 13-June 26, AD 14) which is how that emperor commonly reckoned his reign. I'm confident Luke was not referring to his fifteenth regnal year.

As for your other comments...I know the Romans dated years by the two consuls. But that has nothing to do with how the Romans of Tiberius' era reckoned that emperor's reign: tribunician power. Extensive research clearly reveals Luke 3:1 refers to the fifteenth year of this and not his regnal year. Consular dating has nothing to do with 3:1.

I researched everything for seven years. There is no doubt Pilate was long gone before Antipas and the king warred which was 36. Besides, I'm not even sure why you're mentioning this. (This is the problem with quickly skimming through research 200 pages long and within minutes commenting on it--no offense intended, I understand you're busy.)

I may not be understanding you correctly, but are you assuming I refer to Vitellus as a suffect consul before AD 34? That is not the case. Being consularis did not necessarily mean that person held the consulship. I'm saying if you take Josephus at his word of his work being in chronological order (his original Greek; not a Latin alternative) it can be easily deduced that Vitellius was awarded the status of ex-consul (ὑπατικόν, aka consularis, a title often awarded in name only during the empire) and he was that unnamed legate sent to govern Syria for Aelius Lamia circa 21-32 as mentioned by Dio, Tacitus and Suetonius. Pilate was removed during this time. Vitellius did not become a genuine consul until 34 many years later. Pilate's dismissal should not be confused with, and dated to, Vitellius' official governorship of Syria 35-39. Why would Pilate be ordered to report to Tiberius in Rome circa 36/37 considering that emperor had not stepped foot in that city for eleven years?

Again, Aelius Lamia's governorship of Syria was a farce according to Tacitus and others; he was detained in Rome for the duration of his term and an unknown legate was sent to be the real governor. That unnamed legate was obviously Vitellius. Read AJ 18 while keeping this in mind and you'll see for yourself that AJ is suddenly in chronological order just like Josephus promised (1.17). The only reason scholars currently claim the events in AJ 18 are out of order is because they are oblivious to this hidden anomaly. If Vitellius was not governing Syria in place of Lamia, who was? It surely wasn't Pacuvius. There's really no evidence at all for him.

The English translations of AJ 18 say that by the time Pilate arrived in Rome, Tiberius was dead. But the Greek word rendered, "dead" can grammatically be rendered Tiberius "had moved" before Pilate's arrival. Tiberius twice moved out of Rome: once early in AD 21 until sometime in 22 and then he permanently moved out in 26. Rendering μεταστάς "moved" keeps AJ 18 in chronological order if it's also understood that Vitellius was the legate sent to govern Syria circa 21-32. "Moved" also means Pilate's term in Judea ended much earlier than AD 36/37. Pilate was out of office by AD 21. This also explains why Pilate is governing before AD 16 events in AJ. Either Josephus kept his promise of keeping his reports in order of time they occurred in or he did not. Please read the pdf before jumping to any conclusion.

Moving on...

Where does Josephus say Pilate governed for ten years? Tarrying for ten does not mean "governing for ten."

Why would ancient historian and theologian, Paulus Orosius, say the great AD 17 earthquake was the Passion quake if it wasn't?

There was only one great earthquake during the reign of Tiberius. It was in AD 17 while dark.

Why would Paulus Orosius say Jesus was born about the same time the gates of Janus were closed by the Romans for the third time (likely 13 BC) if this is not true? (I'm aware Orosius made a few contradictory statements. In another place, he said Jesus was born in 2 BC. But all other facts he put forth indicate 13 BC is actually correct.)

John's advice to the soldiers in Luke 3:14 was only apropos for AD 14/15 when mutinies broke out after the death of Augustus (the sixteenth year of Tiberius' TP). His advice would seem a bit out of place for AD 26 and beyond.

Why did Josephus say the Crucifixion was about the same time as the Paulina/Mundus scandal which in turn he said occurred about the same time as the Jewish banishment from Rome which is well known to have been AD 19? He's either telling the truth, lying or badly mistaken.

When it is recognized that Luke 3:1 refers to the fifteenth year of Tiberius' tribunician power, chronology is easily determined for the ministry and passion of Jesus Christ. Thinking it's his fifteenth regnal year causes the debate to go on and on as to which year Jesus was crucified in.

If you have the time, I strongly suggest you read the entire pdf otherwise you might inadvertently take comments of mine out of context. This subject is much too complex to respond to in a post. Some readers are probably already confused. Apologies. But that's the risk of complexity. Please read the pdf if you can free up the time. It would be much appreciated and you just might change your mind.

You said: "It does not seem convincing though, and I have not seen something that supports Pilate's period as governor having been incorrectly dated." If you don't read the pdf, then you probably never will. Besides, it's an easy, non-technical read and should be quickly accomplished. (my mediocre writing skills, aside.)

This webpage deals with the issue you broached:

Josephus and Jesus I: The shifty Seduction of Paulina
toc-as-pic.jpg

The Paulina episode begins with the words, "About the same time also another sad calamity put the Jews into disorder". Josephus was Jewish, and I offer that he here plausibly reveals his true opinion of Christian min'im (heretics), segueing from the words "Christians exist to this day" --> "another sad calamity". IOW, Josephus "innocently misplaced" 600 words, to effect a subtle & sly snide innuendo against Christian min'im, as well as to link "Christians" --> "expulsion of Jews & easterners from Rome". Josephus, a non-Christian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Moving on...

Josephus was a Jew, who therefore did not appreciate Christian min'im ("heretics"). His misplacement of the Paulina & Mundus scandal sets up a verbal juxtaposition of the words "Christ...Christians exist to this day" --> "another sad calamity...brought about the expulsion of the Jews". Josephus was subtly condemning Christians, labeling them a "calamity", blaming them for Jews' "expulsion" and exile, and otherwise expressing the then-usual views of the wealthy Jewish elite.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I disagree on Pilate's dates. Roman scholarship has almost universally found his period of governing Judaea to be 26-36 AD. Mommsen, Goldsworthy, etc., all agree on this.

You say those who examine him under a microscope. Well, what are our sources for Pilate? They are Philo, Josephus, one line in Tacitus, the Pilate stone, a few coins, the Gospels, and early Christian tradition.
Philo, Tacitus, and the Pilate stone merely places him in Tiberius' reign. The coins are only associated with him based on dating, upon which we disagree and is therefore rendered equivocal.
Early Christian tradition tells us that Pilate either converted and was martyred at Vienna in Gallia Narbonensis, or commited suicide. Its timeline however, suggests this after Tiberius' reign. This is however late and contradictory in nature.
So the entire debate rests on Josephus and the Gospels...

Firstly, remember Josephus' Antiquities is a corrupted source. We know the Testamonium Flavium was under the knife of a redactor, as it is far too positive an appraisal from a Pharisaic Jew of Josephus' background, and if this was its original content, why did Eusebius reference a far less glowing description? There was an original reference to Jesus and his crucifixion here, based on later references to James the Just, but our content is not the original. We also have variants extent of this passage.

Now let's look at his chronology, bearing this in mind. We have the death of Germanicus (19 AD), then we have the accounts of Pilate of the standards and affair of the aquaduct; then the Testimonium Flavium. Therafter follows the Paulina/Mucina scandal, the expulsion of the Jews and Isis worshippers (19 AD), then the Samaritan uprising and Pilate's recall. Following this we have Antipas' campaign and then Agrippa's being released by Caligula on the death of Tiberius (36 AD). Everything in brackets are sure dates by other Roman historians. By your reckoning of how Josephus' chronology works, the entire career of Pilate had to have taken place in 19 AD and only in that year, since it falls between the death of Germanicus and the expulsion of the Jews.

Such a reading makes little sense. Now, bearing in mind the corrupted nature of the Antiquities, we see the lurid, almost voyeuristic tale of Paulina and Munda does not fit the otherwise Jewish nature of the work. Why spend more time telling this story than recounting the actual expulsion of the Jews, when this has precious little to do with the Jews and the book is a book of Jewish Antiquities. It does not fit the tenor of the rest of the work. For this reason, many argue this was a later insertion into Josephus as an anti-pagan polemic, or alternately, a lurid rumour that someone wanted to give the air of respectibility to.
Alternately, remember that works were broken into books, written either on scrolls or codexes. It makes more sense for Josephus to recount the entire career of Pilate in one go, than to put a strange interpolation of Paulina and the Jewish expulsion inbetween. Usually, this is what Josephus does, so it is decidedly odd to break up someone's narrative in this manner. It has been argued that the account of Paulina and the Jewish expulsion are misplaced in our extent version, due likely to a late Roman or mediaeval library error, and should follow Germanicus' death. This makes far more sense thematically, as Germanicus died under suspicious circumstances in the east, blamed by Agrippina on poisoners, and is a reason given by others why the Isis worshippers were expelled at this time.
This also transforms Pilate's narrative into a complete one, thus more in line with Josephus' methods with others' careers.

Following the account of Pilate's recall, we see two events almost certainly taking place in 36 AD, most definitely the release of Herod Agrippa, which is based on Caligula becoming Princeps on Tiberius' death. So either Josephus ignored 17 years of history of Judaea and Pilate's entire career occured in one year, or Pilate's recall occurred in 36 AD and we are presented with a longer account. I am sorry, but the latter makes far more sense.

Romans didn't date by tribunician power. Provincials did, and they did not date by lesser officials, but by who was in charge. No one dated by Agrippa or Marcellus' tribunician powers, so why think they would do so by Tiberius'? Later Romans started dating by Imperium Procunsularis, denoting holding power over the Imperial provinces, but they certainly did not date by the early provisional and limited grants of tribunician status to Tiberius. Please give a citation for your contention, outside of the Luke passage you would claim for it.

Anyway, Tacitus, Suetonius and Velleius Paterculus disagree on the dates for Tiberius gaining the tribunicitas potentas, so which one is meant then?
It is a part of the Achilles heel of your Josephan chronology argument. What evidence shows Pilate long gone before Antipas' war with Aretas? Citation?

I apologise for the quick look through, I shall give your article a more thorough read when I have time.
I disagree.
Recalled to Rome does not mean necessarily going to the city itself, and regardless, Tiberius is unlikely to see an equestrian governor of a backwater province himself. Likely it would be Macro that Pilate would have had an audience with.

Most of this regarding Vitellius' career is conjecture and conflicts with the Annals of Tacitus. For Tacitus would certainly have mentioned if someone was granted proconsular status prematurely, as this was highly irregular, and he spends some time on Vitellius.

I fail to see how it was obviously Vitellius? Rome was full of potential aristocrats for such an assignment. Why not Piso, for instance? You need to give a better accounting of why you take this leap.
I did read this part of your article, hence I wrote how it doesn't fit, as it is followed immediately by events unequivocally in 36 AD. Please see what I wrote earlier on Josephus' chronology. A reading as Tiberius having died, makes the most sense, which is why it is translated in this manner by first century scholars that made those English translations.

Agreed, but by your chronology argument he governed for 1 year as I showed above. This doesn't make sense seeing that we have two separate passovers, Jesus' crucifixion and the affair of the votive shields, at least. It also makes no sense to mention the 10 years unless referring to the period in which he was governor. It would be a silly throwaway comment otherwise, and thus not in keeping with Josephus' style.

He was a late Roman writer, writing after the sack of Rome. He therefore does not unequivocally have access to records like say Tacitus had, and his works are largely based on Tacitus, Suetonius, Caesar, Lucan, etc. So we do not know where he got this information nor how accurate it is.
Because a local Jerusalem event need not be picked up geologically?

Why out of place? Because people cannot remember events from 10 years ago? This is a strange objection anyway.

I will take a good look at your argument when I have time, but the crux thereof seems mistaken in my opinion. No offense meant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This webpage deals with the issue you broached:

toc-as-pic.jpg

The Paulina episode begins with the words, "About the same time also another sad calamity put the Jews into disorder". Josephus was Jewish, and I offer that he here plausibly reveals his true opinion of Christian min'im (heretics), segueing from the words "Christians exist to this day" --> "another sad calamity". IOW, Josephus "innocently misplaced" 600 words, to effect a subtle & sly snide innuendo against Christian min'im, as well as to link "Christians" --> "expulsion of Jews & easterners from Rome". Josephus, a non-CHristian

Josephus was a Jew, who therefore did not appreciate Christian min'im ("heretics"). His misplacement of the Paulina & Mundus scandal sets up a verbal juxtaposition of the words "Christ...Christians exist to this day" --> "another sad calamity...brought about the expulsion of the Jews". Josephus was subtly condemning Christians, labeling them a "calamity", blaming them for Jews' "expulsion" and exile, and otherwise expressing the then-usual views of the wealthy Jewish elite.
This is what I was talking about as well, in my previous post. It illustrates it nicely.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Erik Nelson I tracked down the text of your Nature article.

They determined when the crescent of the new moon would be seen in March/April in Jerusalem during the time of Pontius Pilate to determine a likely start for the month of Nisan. They then determined the dates when 14/15 Nisan would coincide with a friday: 11th April 27 AD, 7th April 30 AD, 3rd April 33 AD, 23rd April 34 AD. They note the observational nature of the calendar and also that intercalary months were added to hedge their answer.The article notes the impossibility of retroactively assigning first century dates by modern calculations, but suggests these as plausible candidates.

What they then do, is show that a partial Lunar eclipse occurred on 3 April 33 AD in Jerusalem. The article then appeals to Peter's quotation of the prophet Joel at Pentecost, that the moon would turn to blood. They argue the moon would be just above the horison and would therefore have appeared blood red. Based on this, they determine this to be the date of the Crucifixion. It is an interesting article, but their argument rests mostly on the eclipse.

For sake of useful exercise, if we suppose that the Crucifixion occurred on a Friday in Spring 29 AD... then what "must" have happened, e.g. in terms of cloud obscuration of the crescent new moon, so as to make a year which straight-forward astronomical calculations suggest would NOT have had 14/15 Nisan on a Friday, into one which actually really truly did ?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps Pilate's surprising reluctance in the Gospels can be attributed, not to the fall of Sejanus, but to the influence of his wife Procula, acknowledged as a Saint who sought to stop the Crucifixion ?
The problem with that is why would the tough Pilate not then just have released Jesus on her say? He would have let Him go, ignoring the Jewish opposition and setting his soldiery on them if they objected, like he did when using the temple treasury to fund an Aquaduct. It would certainly have been in character.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
For sake of useful exercise, if we suppose that the Crucifixion occurred on a Friday in Spring 29 AD... then what "must" have happened, e.g. in terms of cloud obscuration of the crescent new moon, so as to make a year which straight-forward astronomical calculations suggest would NOT have had 14/15 Nisan on a Friday, into one which actually really truly did ?
I am not sure. Clouds obscuring the new moon would delay, by a day or two, the start of the month at the worst, but the new moon would have occurred the same regardless.

A late spring would likely have resulted in an intercalary month being added, so that could push us into April/May. I am not well enough informed on the particulars of those specific years' New Moons vis-a-vis the days of the week, and the Nature article doesn't have a table for all 10 years of Pilate's governorship.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with that is why would the tough Pilate not then just have released Jesus on her say? He would have let Him go, ignoring the Jewish opposition and setting his soldiery on them if they objected, like he did in when using the temple treasury to fund an Aquaduct. It would certainly have been in character.
https://www.jerusalemperspective.com/14089

Pilate was being brutal, he was already planning to crucify three other Jews on their Passover (!). He may have simply wanted to crucify Barabbas more than Jesus, and viewed the whole affair as an unwelcome intrusion to his plans. Still, the sign and crown of thorns etc. were his in-character way of jeering Judean hopes of independence.

EDIT: Perhaps Pilate wanted to crucify Barabbas and thieves, and not only didn't want to bother with Jesus, but also wanted to appease his wife Procula -- the Crucifixion of Jesus appeared to Pilate to be "no benefit, some cost" ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Olympiad dating is quite well supported by other texts, that allow us to firmly fix it and Phlegon's date does end in a year with a solar eclipse, 33 AD, by this reckoning. The argument that the Olympiads were defined differently has little support that I can think of.

They argue that the total eclipse only occurred in Antarctica, but the partial one did not. I do not think this sufficient to overthrow Olympiad dating in its entirety, based on a connection between a fragment of text that may be hyperbole, in the face of corroboration of many other dates by it.

If anything, I think this supports the 33 AD date.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For sake of argument, please refer to the phrase "one hour" in Rev 17-18.

Babylon = "harlot" = anti-type of Virtuous Woman (Rev 12) who symbolizes the Church
Babylon = "Sodom & Egypt" where Witnesses' "Lord was Crucified" (Rev 11)
Babylon = anti-Christ-ian Jewish leaders of Jerusalem (Dr. Kenneth Gentry)

Babylon's Judgement came "in one hour" (Rev 18)
24 hours = 1 Day = 1000 years => 1 hour = 41 2/3rd years
Jerusalem's Judgement for Crucifixion came on 30 Aug 70 AD

30 Aug 70AD - 41 1/2 years = 29 AD Crucifixion

Moreover, the 10 horns each will rule "1 hour" after the war of the "beast" (pagan Roman empire) vs. "harlot of Babylon" (Jewish Jerusalem in bed with Roman state). 10 x 41 2/3 years = 416 2/3 years
70 AD + 417 years ~= 487 AD
500 AD was the expected onset of the "7th Biblical Day Sabbath = Millennium" according to early Church Tradition of the "7000 year theory" (which relied on the LXX chronology dating Creation to 5500 BC)

So, it all lines up. Christian victory began with Constantine and was complete with Anastasius I who gained the crown in 491 AD only upon signing a declaration of Christian Orthodoxy. From then on Christianity did dominate as Prophesied (Rev 19).

According to this interpretation, the Predictive Power of Revelations is accurate & precise to the level of a couple of months out of 41 2/3 years, and a few years out of 416 2/3 years, i.e. to greater than >99% over decades to centuries.

Upvote 0