Midlands
✟9,177.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do we know if we're seeking God with all our hearts and is this the only way for it to mean something?

Emotions change and sometimes it feels like I come to God with such complete helplessness and 'all my heart', but then other days I feel so distant and feel some sort of reluctance and sadness of some kind. I suppose that's also helplessness manifesting in another feeling.

How are we to know if we're genuine when we're always fighting ourselves?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do we know if we're seeking God with all our hearts and is this the only way for it to mean something?

Emotions change and sometimes it feels like I come to God with such complete helplessness and 'all my heart', but then other days I feel so distant and feel some sort of reluctance and sadness of some kind. I suppose that's also helplessness manifesting in another feeling.

The wording reflects Proverbs 3.5...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not about emotion, God already knows we are emotional beings. It is about obedience. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin and we repent. With His help we pull away from that sin to the point of finding it disgusting. We are then pleasing to God and He finds us righteous. This is Loving your God with all your heart, soul and mind.
Remember, it is not about how YOU feel it is about how God feels about YOU.
Be blessed and stay healthy and above all have faith in the truth.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the inner struggle is all part of it. When Jesus commanded us to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily and follow Him then I believe that includes putting His will above everything, cherishing what He thinks about and wants to share with us before we "unload" on him our feelings and thoughts. This it integral if we're to be men and women after His own heart.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Bible says God has given us the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness (Is 61:3)
When you feel distant, reluctant and sad it is a great time to offer up the sacrifice of praise (Heb 13:15). Turn on some of your favorite praise music... youtube it if you have to... and just praise Him for a good long time. You probably won't feel like doing it at first, that's why it's called a sacrifice of praise, but if you stick with it you will begin to feel that spirit of heaviness lift and you will begin to hear God's voice more clearly.

This isn't the only thing you can do, and it's not the only thing that makes your faith genuine, but, someone who is willing to praise God even when they aren't "feeling it" is definitely someone I would consider genuine, wouldn't you?

Additionally, just the fact you are reaching out and asking tells me you are genuine. Give the praise thing a shot, keep pursuing God and be encouraged! You're doing great!

Upvote 0

marzo

Mar 24, 2020
Midlands
✟9,177.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the words and wisdom. I understand about obedience over feelings but since feelings are so changeable, how then do we know we love God? We are called to love Him and to want to do His will, but how do we tell the difference between that and coming to God because we're merely afraid of the alternative?

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
One point to throw into the mix: Don't forget the great mercy and tenderness of God.

The verses you reference (e.g. Deuteronomy 4:29; Proverbs 8:17; Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 7:7; Luke 11:9; etc.) are all written in specific contexts. In many of these contexts, the issue is idolatry or hypocrisy. Moreover, the Hebrew is instructive. By using the term "le'vavecha" (heart), the text is signaling that the seeking must be genuine from "the heart." I doesn't necessarily mean seeking with great effort, but rather intentionality.

Moreover, God is, as St. Paul tells us, "...actually not far from each one of us..." (Acts 17:27). God desires to be found. He gives grace to allow us to seek Him in the first place. His great mercy and kindness make Him eager to be found by us, as He says: "Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear." (Isaiah 65:24).

When you seek God, trust in the grace He has already given to you and in His desire to be found by you. His great mercy and love for you, manifested in Christ, already predisposes the situation in favor of you seeking and finding Him. :)

Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the words and wisdom. I understand about obedience over feelings but since feelings are so changeable, how then do we know we love God? We are called to love Him and to want to do His will, but how do we tell the difference between that and coming to God because we're merely afraid of the alternative?

God has prescribed one way to consistent moment-by-moment victory. And that way is the way of faith and obedience, never the way of emotions. It is applying the biblical steps in proper order: Truth, faith, behavior, and feelings. If at points in our experience that are feelings are reluctant to line up, rain on them! Even though feelings will come, you can walk in complete victory (as God wills) without them.

Contrary to what a lot of people may say, thoughts of chastening or judgment is a good motivator to serve God and not grow lax in our faith walk. But it doesn't stop there. Love and promise of reward are good motivators to serve as well.

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Hmmm...well, first of all, don't discount the importance and place of "fear of the Lord." The prophets and even the apostles (St. Paul comes to mind) use the healthy sense of fear to aid us in conversion. There's nothing wrong with that, but of course (as you know) that's just a place to start. We should grow in the love of God after that.

This is process, not a once-in-a-moment "flash." We grow to love God more deeply over time. And that takes time. ;) Your feelings are subjective and may change, but what will help reassure you that you are growing in the love of God is your will to follow Christ. He Himself says: "Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me." (John 14:21).

That doesn't mean you won't fail or fall short, but it does mean that our love can be gauged by our living the Christian life. Feelings come and go, but "love-in-action" abides.

Upvote 0