Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you." NASV.
I have a few questions about this passage. First what does it mean to you that you seek first His kingdom and righteousness? How do you know when you are fulfilling this? I know we have to look at the verse in its context and that verses 25-32 are important in looking at this verse and that the "all these things" may be related to the things that people normally worry about such as things for their daily needs.
Any thoughts?

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you." NASV.
I have a few questions about this passage. First what does it mean to you that you seek first His kingdom and righteousness? How do you know when you are fulfilling this? I know we have to look at the verse in its context and that verses 25-32 are important in looking at this verse and that the "all these things" may be related to the things that people normally worry about such as things for their daily needs.
Any thoughts?

Yes, to sum it all up, those verse surrounding matt 6:33, they are telling us not to worry and trust in the Lord to be your provider. And that as long as you are putting your trust in God, he promises to take of our you ("all these things will be added unto you").

As for Matt 6:33, that verse is pretty much taking about putting God first in your life (making God your number one priority). It ties together with proverbs 3:5-6. God wants us to come to him for everything major (maybe even minor) decision (not leaning on our own understanding). God wants us to put the needs of others before the needs of ourselves (seeking first the kingdom). God wants us to put righteousness, or doing good works, above everything else (again, seeking first the kingdom/Advancing his kingdom). Basically, you put advancing the kingdom of God before everything else, and God will make sure (he promises) you are taken care of. Advancing the kingdom of God can be giving to the poor, giving your time to help others, witnessing, and really, any good work that ends up giving God glory and showing other people God.

The best example I can give you is when it comes to giving. God wants us to give our first fruits, or in other words, we should be giving the moment we get paid - not wait until we have some money left over to give. Waiting to give what you have left over wouldn't be considered seeking God's kingdom first, but rather making sure all of your needs are met - you are putting God last. By you giving right away, you are telling God that you care more about advancing his kingdom, and therefore are seeking him first.

seeking first the kingdom of God is an area I'm really working on. One way I'm trying to seek God first is with my time. I'm working on waking up early every morning, and giving God the first fruits of my day. I will usually give God the end of my day, but by that time I am tired and my focus isn't really there. I don't want to give him the left overs of my day, I want to give him me when I am fully alert and well rested.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How about seeking the Kingdom of God until all of the questions about what the Kingdom of God is, have been answered.

Do you fully understand what the Kingdom of God is and how to seek it?

Next the question is, "Just what is this Righteousness of God" which we have been told to seek.

Are you able to put into words what the Righteousness of God is?
If you don't know what it is, then how do you seek it, and how do you attain it?

We are told in Scripture we have become the Righteousness of God is Christ.

What does that mean to the average Christian?

If we are His Righteousness how then do we seek it?

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2015
Austin, TX
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, to sum it all up, those verse surrounding matt 6:33, they are telling us not to worry and trust in the Lord to be your provider. And that as long as you are putting your trust in God, he promises to take of our you ("all these things will be added unto you").

As for Matt 6:33, that verse is pretty much taking about putting God first in your life. It ties together with proverbs 3:5-6. God wants us to come to him for everything major (maybe even minor) decision (not leaning on our own understanding). God wants us to put the needs of others before the needs of ourselves (seeking first the kingdom). God wants us to put righteousness, or doing good works, above everything else (again, seeking first the kingdom/Advancing his kingdom). Basically, you put advancing the kingdom of God before everything else, and God will make sure (he promises) you are taken care of. Advancing the kingdom of God can be giving to the poor, giving your time to help others, witnessing, and really, any good work that ends up giving God glory and showing other people God.

The best example I can give you is when it comes to giving. God wants us to give our first fruits, or in other words, we should be giving the moment we get paid - not wait until we have some money left over to give. Waiting to give what you have left over wouldn't be considered seeking God's kingdom first, but rather making sure all of your needs are met - you are putting God last. By you giving right away, you are telling God that you care more about advancing his kingdom, and therefore are seeking him first.

seeking first the kingdom of God is an area I'm really working on. One way I'm trying to seek God first is with my time. I'm working on waking up early every morning, and giving God the first fruits of my day. I will usually give God the end of my day, but by that time I am tired and my focus isn't really there. I don't want to give him the left overs of my day, I want to give him me when I am fully alert and well rested.

Hope this helps :)

Good points, Theadorus. God has set up order to things, where the spiritual matters of life have priority over those things that are earthly - like material possessions. Putting your trust and reliance in God by giving your first fruits out of cheerful giving certainly goes a long way to place your trust in The Giver; God.

The book of Matthew, as with the rest of the gospels, documents the Word of God as it applied to those under the Law of Moses, because it was the words of Jesus to Israel. But even though that part of The Scripture isn't technically New Testament instruction, tons can be learned from it today. The kingdom of God was still preached by people like Paul, Philip, and the original 12 Apostles. Romans says this:

Romans 14:17
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

You may think of the kingdom of God as things concerning God's purposes, goals, and plan (those 3 things closely intertwine). Timothy says this:

1 Timothy 2:3-4
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

If your actions revolve around this purpose - helping people coming unto the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ, then you're seeking the kingdom of God. Knowing whether or not you are - is a matter being self-aware, really. Are you experiencing the fruit of the spirit outlined in Galatians 5?

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

This fruit is a bi-product of your stand on the Word, and operation of the holy spirit. If these are things you see your soul has, then you're on the right track!

Upvote 0