North Carolina
✟474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I have pertaining to Anabaptism. I agree with most of what I've seen regarding the beliefs, but would I have to join a group like the Amish or Mennonites and live communally with them or can I remain where I am. And do I need to give up all technology and cover my head? (which I am not opposed to head covering I favour it. Also would I have to wear their style of dress or can I wear normal clothes just in modest fashion? Because I believe in the basic core beliefs but I don't know if I have to do all of these other things. And if I am missing anything please tell me. I am a new Christian, I was raised Southern Baptist but never agreed and I turned atheist then agnostic for a while. I am sixteen now and I have come back to God but I don't really know where to go from here because I still don't agree with Southern Baptism. A mentor would also be helpful if it's possible and much appreciated.

• Useful
Reactions: riesie

Molly01

Oct 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think the "basic core beliefs" of Anabaptism are?

I don't know if I would consider all to be "Anabaptist" beliefs, but these are what I believe and what I've seen to be beliefs of Anabaptists.
  • Scripture is the authoritative word of God
  • Believers baptism, no baptism of infants
  • Follow the teachings of Jesus as closely as possible
  • Strict modesty (not showing a lot of skin, simple clothes, simple hair, no makeup (personally for me), simple little to no jewellery)
  • Importance of discipleship (this was a one of my biggest qualms of being around Southern Baptists who thought they didn't have to do a thing or change a thing about their lives as long as they believed in God, that they didn't even have to read the bible as long as they believed in God.)
  • Servanthood
  • I don't know the Anabaptist view of this one but no women of authority in the church, like female pastors
  • Rejection of the world, mass media, materialism, etc.
  • Pacifism
An incomplete list but the first things that come to mind, also I understand that I am ignorant on these subjects, I am still young and new

Reactions: BonnieL322
Upvote 0

Molly01

Oct 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It might also be helpful to know which parts of the Southern Baptist faith you disagree with.

Oh, and WELCOME TO CF :wave:

--David

I don't really know, I wasn't very involved. It may have just been the specific church I went to. I just disagreed with a lot of things they said. And one time my teacher told us that if a baby dies before they are saved they go to Hell because we are all born in sin and if they aren't saved they die in sin, which I disagreed with because a baby is not at the age of accountability. And I generally observed a lack of belief and commitment and a lot of laziness of faith

Upvote 0

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I would consider all to be "Anabaptist" beliefs, but these are what I believe and what I've seen to be beliefs of Anabaptists.
  • Strict modesty (not showing a lot of skin, simple clothes, simple hair, no makeup (personally for me), simple little to no jewellery)
  • Importance of discipleship (this was a one of my biggest qualms of being around Southern Baptists who thought they didn't have to do a thing or change a thing about their lives as long as they believed in God, that they didn't even have to read the bible as long as they believed in God.)
  • Servanthood
  • I don't know the Anabaptist view of this one but no women of authority in the church, like female pastors
  • Pacifism
An incomplete list but the first things that come to mind, also I understand that I am ignorant on these subjects, I am still young and new
You understand Anabaptism better than most Anabaptist.

Reactions: BonnieL322
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know, I wasn't very involved. It may have just been the specific church I went to. I just disagreed with a lot of things they said. And one time my teacher told us that if a baby dies before they are saved they go to Hell because we are all born in sin and if they aren't saved they die in sin, which I disagreed with because a baby is not at the age of accountability. And I generally observed a lack of belief and commitment and a lot of laziness of faith

Hi Molly, that sounds like the local church/pastor, not a denominational stance. I don't know of any denominations that believe that babies who die, before or after birth in fact, do to Hell (though I know that argument has been around since the 5th century at least as Augustine wrote about it, and also was a point of contention during the Reformation, Calvin arguing that babies who die are ALWAYS Heaven-bound, and Servetus arguing that they did not because they we're "saved". Both men held firmly that all babies are born with a sinful nature however). Calvin was correct, BTW (i.e. Romans 2:12-16 .. God doesn't judge our fallen "nature", rather, we are judged according to what we do, say and think, and for the choices we have made, so babies cannot be "judged").

If I was you, I'd look at the denominational "Statements of Faith" as a starting point. Outside of "pacifism", and perhaps making "modesty" an official part of the Statement of Faith, I believe that most Baptist churches hold to everything you listed above as being characteristic of Anabaptists (though I'm not sure as I'm Evangelical Free ..which is very much like a Baptist denomination .. and formally Presbyterian, not Baptist).

Each denomination and each church within that denomination does have its own way of doing things, of course, so I guess you need to decide what you can and what you cannot abide, and find a church that fits you. Most pastors love it if you call or email them and ask them specific questions about what they believe and how their particular church runs, so I'd do a lot of that too.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd look very hard at the Church of the Brethren if there's one near you. They're thoroughgoing Anabaptists, but at the same time allow for female pastors and do not require communal living. It would be a bridge of sorts between the Southern Baptists and say, something like some of the stricter Mennonite sects. There are also Mennonites, such as the Mennonite Church USA, who are similar in style to the Baptists. There are a number of their churches in NC, particularly in the Raleigh/Winston-Salem corridor.

Hope that helps.

• Servanthood
  • Pacifism

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I agree with most of what I've seen regarding the beliefs, but would I have to join a group like the Amish or Mennonites and live communally with them or can I remain where I am.
Remember one man who told Y'SHUA he wanted to follow HIM ?
Y'SHUA told him go back to your house, to your home town,
live there and tell people what YHWH has done for you.
Ecclesia follow Y'SHUA, not denominational rules, and there is much that cannot be posted on a forum the whole world can read. (life and limb is at risk, literally, and a few other aspects less 'vital' but still necessarily never published (like but not limited to conversations not suitable for believers even though the world and carnal revel in it) )

And do I need to give up all technology and cover my head? (which I am not opposed to head covering I favour it. Also would I have to wear their style of dress or can I wear normal clothes just in modest fashion?
Good question. Y'SHUA is the SHEPHERD and HE quides us every day.
HE doesn't mix HIS sheep up (even though we are sent out in the midst of wolves [ravenous ones, not tame ones].
Because I believe in the basic core beliefs but I don't know if I have to do all of these other things.
See online a short pdf called "The Secret of the Anabaptists".
They had many various beliefs
(none of consequence, when they remained faithful to YHWH, abiding every day in Y'SHUA: later (the last century especially) some or many lost their power in Christ because they didn't remain in HIM, apparently) in different cities (centuries ago)
and
still were feared by cities, states, governments and others
because of the power of resurrection life they exerted wherever they went (just like in ACTS).

And if I am missing anything please tell me.
where to go from here
To YHWH'S THRONE TO RECEIVE GRACE OVERFLOWING FOR TODAY,
as it is written. (directly, specifically, in Y'SHUA)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I have pertaining to Anabaptism. I agree with most of what I've seen regarding the beliefs, but would I have to join a group like the Amish or Mennonites and live communally with them or can I remain where I am.
Amish and Mennonites do not live communally, Hutterites do. You could not really be a part of an old order group (like the Old Order Amish) without living in proximity with other church members. As most Anabaptists generally practice some degree of "community", it is difficult to be a member from a distance. There are exceptions.

And do I need to give up all technology and cover my head (which I am not opposed to head covering I favour it.

The degree to which one has to give up certain technologies again depends on the group. Only among the Old Orders Amish and Old Order Mennonites would one really be broadly restricted. Conservative groups tend to avoid television and some of them, the internet.

Also would I have to wear their style of dress or can I wear normal clothes just in modest fashion?
Once again, it depends on the group you are affiliated with.

Reading your post on your understanding of Anabaptism, you would probably fit in with a moderately conservative Mennonite group.

You might find help on the Facebook discussion group: Becoming Conservative Anbaptist - ask for membership. You should check out: Mennonet (formerly MennoDiscuss) There are folks on that group who have a good handle on the whole spectrum of Anabaptist groups.

Last edited:
Upvote 0