✟791,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello you and welcome.

Do you seek for Jesus Christ; Why do you seek for him? What is the purpose you do this for?

: Will you please move this thread to the deeper fellowship -- Thank you!
Purpose? God has plenty of purpose for it. As for me, I do it because I can't help but do it. We were made to be one with Christ.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello Mark, what happened in your life that was so profound that helped you start your trail on finding, and seeking the Lord Jesus Christ? Thank you for your comment.
'Pursuing' Christ, perhaps a better word than 'seeking'. I had already found him, or been found by him, as they say.

Maybe it's the years upon years of frustration, of thinking I just lacked one more key to consistent obedience. I held on to a few verses, promises, and prayed in tears for understanding, (and for obedience, purity, of course). God was kind enough to allow me --- I don't know what to call it --I hesitate to say, "a vision"-- maybe a dream --- concerning the absolute horror of sin and its devastating influence on the whole universe. The awful twisting of fact; I am left trying to describe it with words like, "The space-time continuum would have ruptured had not God held things together until the end." A brother calls it "cosmic treason", and he is right.

Anyway, up till then I thought I had a pretty good handle on how bad sin was --I had no idea-- and even after that, I realize I still don't. God doesn't seem to hold that against us, as it was his plan all along.

I'm not going to say that that straightened my path. But it did make me sit back and think a little more about the greatness and goodness and absolute perfect point of view that God has, and the awful hubris of the human race.

More than all that, though it stemmed from both the "dream" and the agonizing desire for Godliness --right now! Godliness, haha-- that God does things according to his own time (even when to do so adds to his own already inconceivable pain), and for his own purposes, and I understand nothing by comparison. Years and years, I cried out to him while reading Scripture, until it slowly dawned on me that God is doing this for his own sake, and I can count on such passages as promise that he will complete what he has begun and so on, because it does not depend on me, whether he will accomplish it, indeed, that it doesn't even depend on whether I ever attain the godliness I so desire.

Contrary to what I was told this mindset would result in, it drives me all the harder to pursue Christ, to love him, to hate sin, to look (at least to have the habit of trying to look) at things from God's point of view, and not mine.

And last, but not least, it has changed what satisfies me. My desire is no longer to make it to my reward, nor my confidence in eternal security, but my absolute pleasure, my satisfaction, is in knowing he is completely satisfied with the plan he has spoken into existence. I find myself still amazed he even lets me watch him work! My hope is in seeing him as he is, to see his face.

This account leaves out an awful lot, particularly about the pain I feel at the wimp of a God that people so often teach in Churches, and the joy at talking about him and his mercy and goodness and brilliance. I hope that answers your question.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I believe that God has been watching over me ever since I was a child, helping me and protecting me.
But I didn't really know Jesus or commit my life to Him until my late teens.
I became very aware of my sinfulness and felt restless all of the time, but I still didn't really understand who Jesus was.
One evening, in the privacy of my own university bedroom, I was reading a Christian book which my friend had given to me. It was as if the Lord had switched on a light in my head that evening. I was suddenly aware of who Jesus was and what He had done for us and the Lord was inviting me to respond.
I responded. And for the rest of the evening I was completely filled with joy.
For a number of months, I was very steadfast with prayer, I went to church regularly and grew in my faith.
The summer came and all of the students returned home to be with their families. I returned to the town where I lived, where all of my friends were non-believers and I had not yet joined a church.
They were the some of the most difficult months of my life. Day by day, I got increasingly depressed and believed the lie that God had forsaken me, because I had let Him down. I believed we only got one chance and that I had blown it.
I was gripped with such depression and despair - and it lasted for weeks. One evening I could take no more, I went to my bedroom, closed the door, and fell prostrate on the floor pleading to the Lord to help me.
And it was then I felt the presence of God with me and I was totally liberated. The fear had gone and I was totally surrounded by His love.

Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seek God because I have an affliction. That has always been it. When I got done rebelling the pieces came together. Because of Jesus I am always being healed. Now to stay that way instead of always having a problem.

Upvote 0