• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Seeking Direction

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by bellantara, May 26, 2005.

1. bellantara

bellantara Senior Veteran

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    I've been a Baptist all my life, but as I get older, I find that I don't get anything out of the service anymore. It feels just like going through the motions, or watching a theater performance. Don't get me wrong, I am still a Christian, I still believe that Christ died for me. But. . .I'm lost for a church home. I'm not sure what I want. Anyone got any advice for me?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. janny108

janny108 Well-Known Member

+171
    Word of Faith
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I have been in a few churches, and I think first of all, we should ask God if anything stands between Him and us. That is one reason if we no longer find church exciting. Because having sin can dull our senses. Trust me, I've been there. Or it everything is fine, you may need to ask God to help you search for another church home.

I'll use my life as ex. here. I went to a southern baptist church 2 years here. No matter what I did, it did not feel like home. It certainly looked good from the outside. I had sin revealed to me from God and I dropped out of that church. I'd gone to another one and dealt with it, then to make a long story short, I'm going to Calvary chapel and another southern baptist church.
    Jan

3. mannysee

mannysee Guest

+0
    Hi,
    I was just thinking about your post. I wonder, if someone was to enter your home you would expect them to notice that YOU lived there by what they saw. You don't say whether you are involved in service towards others at church.
    Let's play a game of change the words:-
    "I don't get anything out of the service anymore"....
    "I do give something in service now"

4. bellantara

bellantara Senior Veteran

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    OUCH. You both really hit home, and you're both right. I don't think the problem is the church, the problem is me. I "believe" Christianity, but don't really live it. MOst people probably wouldn't even mistake me for a Christian. Think I have a lot of work to do.

5. Johnnz

Johnnz Senior Veteran Supporter

+890
    Christian
    Widowed
    Listening to one man's talk each week can become very limiting. What he talks about may not be immediately relevant to the issues and/or questions you have right now.

I have often met this. For me, the greatest challenges and stimulation for my Christian life have very often come from external sources - especially books, but sometimes a conference or article which can inform and provoke me to discover new areas of Christian insight and application.

Sometimes, depending on how active our mind is, we need intellectual stimulation and knowledge to supply good information to questions and issues we have.

John
    NZ

6. allieisme

allieisme I am ME

+344
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sounds like good advice...
    I was going to post too, but after reading this.. I would agree fully with what was already said.. Usually (In my opinion) when you don't feel as though you belong anymore...one of 2 things could happen..You could be getting ready to "grow" more with your faith, stronger feelings....OR the devil sees this a perfect time of weakness and is going to try and do everything in his power to make you feel not welcome, alone,ect....
    God bless you!

7. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Perhaps you need another church...

-- Radagast

8. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

+1,134
    Non-Denom

The emphasis given me is not " go to church " , but " be the Church " .

This means , instead of looking to be fed by someone else . Store up God's Word within yourself , so that you may be able to feed others .

Instead of looking to fit in with a group , look to comfort someone else who can't seem to fit in .

Instead of worrying about my spiritual status , concerning myself with those who are in far greater jeopardy .

And as one gives themself to minister to others , the grace that flows via the spirit of charity , beautifies our own life many times more than seeking to have our own needs be met ever could .

Instead of thinking of church as a building , or a meeting , realizing it's The Body of Christ , which has members in all kinds of places all around the world , some of which are still in the dark , and yet to comprehend their true identity , and purpose .

And for these reasons , groups , or denominations which project a sense of superiority , or exclusiveness , are in a disadvantaged spiritual state , for the focus then becomes inward , where it should be outward ; through treating the internalization of God's Word as though it were externally accomplished by observing ritualistic services .

In looking for " a church home " look for humbleness , with plain speech , Bible based , New Testament emphasizing , which encourages one to -

...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
    <-----> Philippians 2:12+13

Possibly , non-denominational , or inter-denominational ?

May The Lord Be Pleased To Bless .

wm

9. heron

heron Legend

+893
    Christian
    In Relationship
    "Be the Church" --YES!

You can pray for people during the services. You can be the person who gives new insight to stagnant things. Offer to teach a class.

When I'm feeling stagnant, it's usually because I'm not giving enough of my time and energy. That's me, I don't sit well during services so I like to be active during them.

The other indicator is a real, critical deficit in members' prayer and one-on-one devotion to God, which you can't measure. Give yourself a vacation and visit another church. Do prayer walks around your existing church.

If you've been to the same church all this time, boredom or confinement might be another reason. Your brain brings back memories of good and bad whenever you step in the building. People think of you one way, as whoever you were twenty years ago.

One way of looking for a new church, is popping in when guest speakers and musicians come. Check out the bulletin board of your local Christian bookstore, the radio stations (some here), newspapers and web lists for your area.

10. heron

heron Legend

+893
    Christian
    In Relationship