Dec 24, 2016
USA
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings and Merry Christmas!

I'm here to ask a question about a proper Christian view of health-related issues. My issue is related to my teeth and gums

My story: I recently underwent root canal surgery to fix an old, badly-done root canal in one of my back molars that became infected. The infection spread to the gum and bone below the tooth, resulting in some bone loss there. Afterwards, I was told this tooth is probably cracked and was given a 50-50% chance of its survival. I opted to have it removed, and am now awaiting the implant in March.

Meanwhile, I did some reading and came across a book about reversing tooth decay and gum disease (you can easily find them on Amazon). Through that book, and the discovery of the Weston A. Price Foundation, I read that root canals are very prone to infection and can cause a host of other physical diseases!!! I have 3 other root canals, and a dozen crowns. (I didn't inherit the strong-tooth gene. :-( )

The book and the WAPF encourage a healthier way of eating that goes back generations to traditional people who had NO refined sugar or grains in their diet, and virtually NO tooth decay in spite of no dentists or even personal dental care.

Anyway.... after learning all of this I've become a bit terrified of the next infection, the next cavity, and even traditional dentistry. I'm avoiding sugar, bread, anything sweet, and cleaning up little areas of my diet.

My question is this: How absolutely disciplined do I need to be about this to prevent any further decay or gum disease? Today my husband said "It's Christmas and we have NO COOKIES!" (he has strong teeth)

I have moments when I'm tempted to just eat carefully but not quite so strictly, and just trust God to protect my teeth. Then again, I wonder if he led me to this information to learn and help prevent further problems.

I need a fresh perspective because these feelings and thoughts are filling my head and becoming an idol.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm here to ask a question about a proper Christian view of health-related issues. My issue is related to my teeth and gums

My story: I recently underwent root canal surgery to fix an old, badly-done root canal in one of my back molars that became infected. The infection spread to the gum and bone below the tooth, resulting in some bone loss there. Afterwards, I was told this tooth is probably cracked and was given a 50-50% chance of its survival. I opted to have it removed, and am now awaiting the implant in March.

Meanwhile, I did some reading and came across a book about reversing tooth decay and gum disease (you can easily find them on Amazon). Through that book, and the discovery of the Weston A. Price Foundation, I read that root canals are very prone to infection and can cause a host of other physical diseases!!! I have 3 other root canals, and a dozen crowns. (I didn't inherit the strong-tooth gene. :-( )

The book and the WAPF encourage a healthier way of eating that goes back generations to traditional people who had NO refined sugar or grains in their diet, and virtually NO tooth decay in spite of no dentists or even personal dental care.

Anyway.... after learning all of this I've become a bit terrified of the next infection, the next cavity, and even traditional dentistry. I'm avoiding sugar, bread, anything sweet, and cleaning up little areas of my diet.

My question is this: How absolutely disciplined do I need to be about this to prevent any further decay or gum disease? Today my husband said "It's Christmas and we have NO COOKIES!" (he has strong teeth)

I have moments when I'm tempted to just eat carefully but not quite so strictly, and just trust God to protect my teeth. Then again, I wonder if he led me to this information to learn and help prevent further problems.

I need a fresh perspective because these feelings and thoughts are filling my head and becoming an idol.

I've done research into this being someone who had root canals done in the past which both failed. What you have found on root canals is true and it is one of the worth practices if not the worse in dentistry. In terms of what you can do now, a lot of the same advice we have been hearing is applicable. Eating less or no refined sugars will be great for your teeth but even if you do, once you brush your teeth and use a good mouthwash after eating it would be good enough. I currently use an activated charcoal toothpaste along with regular toothpaste and i have a mouthwash with Hydrogen Peroxide being the main ingredient. You can also look into use wheatgrass for your teeth as well. Additionally if you can spare the money, buy yourself a water flossing and electric toothbrush machine.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Hey, we must be related, your teeth sound like mine. I didn't get the strong tooth gene either. :O(

As a kid, I was an oddity, as I had, not 2, but 3 sets of teeth. One set of baby teeth and 2 sets of permanent teeth. By the time I was 16, I'd had 32+ teeth pulled by the dentist and 3 years of braces. At that time, the dentist wanted to pull a wisdom tooth, I refused, he said it would push my teeth together and mess them up, I refused and didn't go back to a dentist for 15+ years.

When I went back to a dentist, that wisdom tooth had indeed caused all of the problems that the previous dentist had said that it would, plus that tooth, as well as another wisdom tooth, had crumbled and were overgrown by the gums. Both had to be surgically removed. Since dental insurance benefits always run out so quickly, it took a couple years to get everything done that needed to be done to my teeth. I had one thing left to be done, but had to wait till the next year because of insurance, and my dentist closed down her practice and moved 300 miles away. A bit too far away for a dentist appointment.

I didn't see a dentist for another 12+ years, which was 3 years ago. Over that 12 years, I had numerous teeth crumble while eating. Bits of tooth would break off, from time to time, but they never hurt. I had to go to the dentist because one of them finally did hurt. I wound up having to get 3 or 4 crowns, a couple root canals, gum surgery, a bridge and they filled 21 cavities. All of that took almost 2 years.

And sorry for such a long story, but I say all of that to say this, through all of that time, for my first 45 years, I always had gum problems. They were always growing down too far, were red and puffy and would bleed from time to time. I had surgery, twice, to remove the excess gums, it was a big problem. One thing I had never done, was floss my teeth. Oh, I had half-heartedly tried once or twice but it never lasted more than a day or two.

Well, 3 years ago, my current dentist talked me into trying it again. The string floss was always a pain so I tried the Plackers Dental Flossers~~~> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plackers-Micro-Mint-Dental-Flossers-150-count/20659612 . These are much easier to use then the string. After a couple months of, faithfully, using them, I had another appointment but there wasn't much improvement.

I asked the dentist if I was doing something wrong, was I supposed to be doing something different, as I was just running the floss between each tooth trying to get out any food that might be there. She said, no, no, you have to make the floss hug each tooth, then scrap up and down the length of the tooth, to remove the plaque. Like scraping the side of a boat to remove barnacles, you have to scrap the side of each tooth to remove the plaque. I started flossing the right way, once per day and in 6 months, it was like night and day, where my gums had always looked puffy, red and diseased, they were now pink, raised up high on each tooth, never bleed, seldom ever hurt at all, the picture of healthy gums. My dentist was impressed and said to continue doing whatever it was that I was doing because my gums were perfect. I've continued flossing, once daily, and have not had any problems with my gums, since then. Flossing, in the right way, made all the difference in the world for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did it as totally as I could for 50 years now. The dentists were amazed that there could be such healthy teeth with so many fillings, at least until I stopped going 30 years ago after realizing that dentists caused more harm than good. It has already bought me 20 years additional youth also. This will not save your teeth from falling out (as that is genetic) but it will slow it down. As I have been taught, this issue does not affect everyone; there are many people whose teeth are different, and they can eat all the refined foods they want.

It is very difficult to eat out if you live in America, and not in a big city where there are restaurants who understand this.

Upvote 0

AuntJenny

Dec 24, 2016
USA
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all, for your replies.

The way these books and the WAPF site describe root canals leave me to think that each one is a mini time bomb in my mouth, and it's only a matter of time before it will "go off". I have 3 others remaining, and the advice of some is to have all of them removed. Then, of course, what do I do to fill the gap but get an implant, also not without risks.

I used to have more cavities and gum sensitivity (swelling around back molars, some bleeding) before I started religiously flossing several years ago. I don't go a day without flossing 2x, morning and night. Then, earlier this year, I began using a Water Pik after every single meal to flush away food particles along the gum line -- that took care of the sensitive gums around the back molars. My current dental routine takes about 35 minutes and begins with swishing with some warm water to remove the loose food particles, followed by the Water Pik to remove all the rest, then floss using Glide which easily fits between my teeth ("hugging" each tooth as described above), then sometimes the dental Plackers mentioned above, then gently rubbing a rubber pick along the gum line to remove any plaque caused by anything left behind from previous cleanings, and finally brushing with a soft-bristle brush. Speaking of brushing, I use an extra-soft-bristle toothbrush (for children) - I bought a set of 4 multi-colored brushes at Rite-
Aid.

The problem with following the advice of a good dentist is that most of them won't mention the nutritional approach to healing and preventing tooth decay except to avoid eating sugar, and still recommend root canals. During this experience I closely examined my gums and teeth and was alarmed to find serious gum recession in some spots --- but my hygienist and dentist never mentioned it to me during any of my 4x/year visits!

The reason I consider this a Christianity (i.e. Faith) question is because I have been feeling a lot of fear about the future of my teeth with old root canals and crowns. I know that fear, worry, and anxiety about it will not prevent anything -- and, the stress can make things worse -- but the "mini time bomb" picture is hard to get out of my head. Having all my other root canals removed seems like a rash decision that I would not make without a lot of prayer.

As with any unpleasant circumstance in life, it seems the best approach is to do what I know is good for my teeth (continue the cleaning routine + avoid foods that cause decay + take supplements to support teeth and prevent infections), and trust in God's protection.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with following the advice of a good dentist is that most of them won't mention the nutritional approach to healing and preventing tooth decay except to avoid eating sugar, and still recommend root canals. .
From age 4 to age 20 my parents took me to a dentist. One after another, teeth full of fillings, and extractions. At age 20 I told him the great news I had discovered about not eating refined foods, after he had confirmed that I was suddenly dentally healthy. His response was "oh, I run all over the country and teach about that". Funny, in 16 years of tearing apart two sets of teeth, and leaving me with a mouthful of problems for the rest of my life, he never said one word to my parents, that when I was begging them for fresh fruit, I was not making it up, and a daily diet of pastries was fine. But, then again, that would not have earned him 20-25 appointments for dental repair work every year at their expense.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its well known that eating refined sugar causes tooth decay.

You will need to cut it out and tell your husband you can't eat it so don't have it in the house.

If he wants cookies he is just going to have to buy or make his own. You kind of have to get tough.

Just thinking of Revelation 2 and several churches people were eating things sacrificed to idols. Well, if you want to sacrifice your teeth eat cookies and sugary junk food.

Upvote 0

AuntJenny

Dec 24, 2016
USA
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sugar isn't the only demon in the pantry. Grains (including oatmeal, flour, bran, brown rice, and that 100% Shredded Wheat I thought was healthy...), legumes, beans, and nuts/seeds contain a substance called physic acid which interferes with the absorption of minerals from other foods. Without proper preparation of these foods at home before consumption, heavy consumption or a reliance of them as staples in the diet can lead to malnutrition... which can lead to erosion of dental enamel, cause bone loss and tooth decay, and reduce resistance to infection. That innocent bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal made from unsoaked oats, topped with some unsoaked almonds or other nuts and pasteurized non-organic low-fat milk... or, worse, non-fat milk, isn't the health food we knew it to be.

It's not just sugar that sits on the teeth that rots them -- it's the sugar in our systems that creates a chain reaction leading to reduced uptake of nutrients needed for healthy teeth. The typical holiday celebration with crackers and chips followed by dressing, bread and other starches, possibly unhealthy oils used for cooking, and little vegetables thrown in for good measure, then dessert ..... it's a dental disaster.

And then, a diet heavy in muscle meat from beef, chicken, and turkey leads to an imbalance of methalanine (which creates problems I don't remember) and needs a balance of glycine. Oh, and the ideal ratio of omega 3 and 6 oils, or else some other issue will arise!!! It goes on and on.

It gets complicated and time-consuming to research and learn and practice all the techniques to obtain maximum nutritonal benefit from the foods we eat, the foods we thought were good for us without hours of advanced preparation. At what point do we say "I will do my reasonable best, avoid the worst evils (sugar, trans-fat oils) and trust God to bless my efforts and protect me?

Does anyone else see how this can become a spiritual issue involving fear of the future, obsession with what and how to eat, and a distraction from living each day to the fullest in service to the Lord and others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sugar isn't the only demon in the pantry. Grains (including oatmeal, flour, bran, brown rice, and that 100% Shredded Wheat I thought was healthy...), legumes, beans, and nuts/seeds contain a substance called physic acid which interferes with the absorption of minerals from other foods. Without proper preparation of these foods at home before consumption, heavy consumption or a reliance of them as staples in the diet can lead to malnutrition... which can lead to erosion of dental enamel, cause bone loss and tooth decay, and reduce resistance to infection. That innocent bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal made from unsoaked oats, topped with some unsoaked almonds or other nuts and pasteurized non-organic low-fat milk... or, worse, non-fat milk, isn't the health food we knew it to be.

It's not just sugar that sits on the teeth that rots them -- it's the sugar in our systems that creates a chain reaction leading to reduced uptake of nutrients needed for healthy teeth. The typical holiday celebration with crackers and chips followed by dressing, bread and other starches, possibly unhealthy oils used for cooking, and little vegetables thrown in for good measure, then dessert ..... it's a dental disaster.

And then, a diet heavy in muscle meat from beef, chicken, and turkey leads to an imbalance of methalanine (which creates problems I don't remember) and needs a balance of glycine. Oh, and the ideal ratio of omega 3 and 6 oils, or else some other issue will arise!!! It goes on and on.

It gets complicated and time-consuming to research and learn and practice all the techniques to obtain maximum nutritonal benefit from the foods we eat, the foods we thought were good for us without hours of advanced preparation. At what point do we say "I will do my reasonable best, avoid the worst evils (sugar, trans-fat oils) and trust God to bless my efforts and protect me?

Does anyone else see how this can become a spiritual issue involving fear of the future, obsession with what and how to eat, and a distraction from living each day to the fullest in service to the Lord and others?
God told me what to eat, I eat the way He said, and I am extraordinarily healthy, and really enjoy my life and have energy to follow where He leads.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a book im reading that may help you called alternative medicine the christian handbook its published by zondervan.

It has a christian view on health. Yes it can become an obssesion i recommend you pray and trust the Lord..give thanks for what you do eat and dont worry about it so much as thats what gentiles/heathens worry over. Your priority is to seek His kingdom and righteousness first.

When you look at what Jesus ate he was healthy, he caught fish and had bread, but most improtantly it was the Word we are to feast on. Take communion and remember we are going to sup with Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you can, start a garden and grow your own veges or find a community garden to help out in then you can harvest fresh veges. Plant a few fruit trees too.

Its easy to start with some herbs and these can be added to food just pick the leaves as a garnish or make a tea. Tea is good for you and refreshing, try peppermint, lemon balm, chamomile. God gave us these leaves for our healing.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mother was a dental hygienist and dental hygiene instructor for her whole life. I don't know what my mom knows, but my dental health has always been something I have been conscious of and have handled intentionally for the last 25 years.

Like faroukfarouk's said, my experience was that there was a big change in the health of my mouth when I switched to using an electric toothbrush. They can seem expensive, but the ones I've owned all died because the rechargeable battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore (after 10+ years of use). What is expensive are the replacement brush heads. Make sure you're aware of the cost of those when purchasing an electric toothbrush. I'm sure it varies, but I need a new brush head about once every two months.

By the way, use soft bristles. They get the job done fine. After some decades of brushing, how much you've worn down the enamel on your teeth can be an issue (although it is treatable).

As a person gets older, the health of one's gums becomes a higher priority (when young, we're mostly concerned about tooth decay). Tooth decay is from acid produced by bacteria that flourish more with sugar. However, other things also result in tooth decay, such as acidic foods or diminished saliva. (Yes, saliva helps protect your teeth.)

Brushing after every meal makes a difference. Flossing at least once/day makes a big difference. My mom's teeth are weak from growing up where there was no fluoride in the water. She flosses after every meal, too. As far as I know ingesting sugar in moderation doesn't increase mouth trouble. In my mind, brushing after every meal should negate any negative dental effects of eating sweets. Note, however, that many people believe that eating too much sugar is not good for your overall health. My small personal experience with that is that I felt better than I ever did in my whole life after eliminating sweets from my diet and emphasizing grains and vegetables (which I couldn't keep up). I have no idea if/how it would have affected my general or dental health, though.

By the way, from the forum rules: "Please do not give professional legal, financial, medical, or other counseling. Do not direct, imply, or suggest that others should disregard doctors' orders regarding medical diagnosis and/or treatment."

I'm not a dentist or anything close to one. Find a dentist who acknowledges that root canals can be problematic (if that is what you believe), so that you know he will deal with you honestly. Personally I try to only use doctors and dentists at university clinics (who are also typically university instructors).

There are a variety of spiritual matters that affect our health, which includes our teeth. I'll just summarize them with: ask the Lord for what you need, trust him, and be obedient (and Matthew 22:37-40). See Ephesians 6:2-3 and Isaiah 58:6-10, among others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you look at what Jesus ate he was healthy, he caught fish and had bread, but most improtantly it was the Word we are to feast on.
They did not have refined foods back then. The Romans could make some white flour, but it was very expensive. The diet recommended in the OP is what everyone on earth ate until about 100-150 years ago. It's great to have the energy to keep committing energy to the Kingdom of God, and see the Word multiply every day.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a new trend for 'paleo diet' which is supposedly what ppl ate before processed foods were around. Rule of thumb is if its got more than four ingredients, its probably not going to be that healthy and full of fillers.

Try to eat fresh food each day. It may not always be possible but vitamins and flavour are always lost when food is processed, frozen or microwaved. esp microwaved. If you are to cook its best to steam or stir fry.

If you cut out sugar you will see a huge difference, your teeth will thank you for it and you won't have terrible energy highs and lows. I was dealing with a friend who had symptoms of binge eating disorder, she had so much energy she overexercised and ended up confused, up all night craving chocolate and sugar, and generally obsessed with dieting then wondering why she was always gaining weight, deluding herself in the process. Sugar isn't food, its a drug. When shes without it for a while she craves it just like an alcoholic craves alcohol, which is basically rotten sugar. (in more immediately toxic form)

Upvote 0

AuntJenny

Dec 24, 2016
USA
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your replies.

Goodbook - your reply contains the closest answer to my seek for a Christian world view of this matter, in reference to the book Alternative Medicine - The Christian Handbook. I found it at Amazon.com where you can "Look inside!" to view a portion of it. This particular book shares large portions to read before buying, and on page 55 it reminds the reader that we are not promised perfect or good health on this side of Heaven, and our focus should be to love and serve God while we are here (not focus on how we feel our health, etc.), and we will have perfect health and no pain in Heaven. That sums it up for me. Meanwhile I've continued praying and asking the Lord to filter out all the information I've read in a few books and on-line, and what He has most impressed on me is to avoid foods known by all to be bad (refined sugar, unhealthy oils) and eat in moderation those that are known to be healthy (as long as they don't adversely affect particular health issues going on at the time), and get on with my life as He wills it to be.

I've also learned that we need to be careful reading some books about health that contain dire warnings about all types of bad health issues that might or will occur if we do or don't eat this or that -- as if ailing health, wrinkles, or imperfect digestion were the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Separation from God for eternity is the worst thing that can happen to anyone, and we are supposed to live a life here focused on serving God and others and seeking first His kingdom and righteousness.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I give God the Father the thanks, praise and glory, in the name of Jesus, for the following information about diet and exercise!

First of all, ask God to give you the help and grace, to eat a healthy diet. He will do it for you, if you ask! God is concerned about not only healing our bodies, which are his temple, but also showing us how to eat healthy to prevent future disease!

My recommendation is this:

1. Eat only whole foods, which are not processed, because they have all the nutrients the body needs!
2. Do not eat processed foods, because they have important nutrients removed from them. Also, they have harmful chemicals and nutrients, which are toxic, added to them.
3. Some foods like milk for example, are pasteurised and homogenised, which makes them dangerous for the hearth and blood vessels, and for the whole body!
4. Try to implement an Intermittent Fasting - That is eating in a period of 7 or 8 hours, during the day, and not eating for about 16 hours during the night. That will help your body to feel more energetic, to clean itself of toxins properly, to rest and repair itself! Your 8 hours of eating period, can be any time during the day! Look at Amazon for the book called "The 8 hours Diet", for more information.
You can eat as much you want during the 8 hours eating period, but do not overeat!
That type of eating will help you to lose stored fat, so your weight will become more normal.
5. At each eating time, eat only till your stomach is full 80%, and no more! That is good for your health!
6. The longest living people on earth are in Okinawa Japan, where there are many people over the age of 100 years old.
Look online for the 'Okinawa Diet" or "Okinawa Diet Pyramid". It is one of the best way of eating.
7. Do exercise everyday, because the Lymphatic System in our bodies does not have a pomp to move the lymph in our bodies, but it works only when we move enough. The Lymphatic system is cleaning the body of toxins and is responsible to taking the toxins out of the body, and it also is a part of the Immune System. If our Lymphatic System is not working properly, our body becomes toxic, full of toxins, and our Immune System does not work properly, so we can become sick.
8. Take Vitamin D3 supplement every day, because there is not enough of it in foods, and also, if we do not get enough sunlight everyday, we do not have enough of it in our bodies. Vitamin D3 is important for the proper function of the Immune System, and helps to fight cold, flu and many diseases. It is responsible for the function of about 3000 genes in our body.
8. Take fish oil supplements, or Omega 3 Fats supplement, because they are needed for the proper functions of cells in our body, and help fight diseases and inflammation in the body! They are necessary for the healthy function of the body!

Last edited:
Upvote 0