The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had my current job for a year now. I've always been a model employee. Never late, rarely miss, good productivity. I've never been written up. I've had a few reviews, all of which were very good, and I was given raises.

Now, my state is a One Day of Rest in Seven state, meaning legally I can only be required to work 6 days a week. The 7th day must be voluntary. Management tried to force me into working the 7th day, and then I saw that I would be working 18 days in a row with no day off. So I contacted HR about this. HR told me I was right to speak up, and they told management that they cannot force this upon any employee.

So today, the very day after, management pulled me in and said that I spend too much time talking and I need to be more productive. Which was a joke to me, my co-workers, and my department Lead. I am a very quiet and reserved person. They often joke with me about how I am a monk because I don't talk, I just work, and on my breaks I am known to read Scriptures and pray (unfortunately I can't hide from people to do this, I wish I wasn't being seen).

To me and my department this sounds and looks like retaliation, and my Lead recommended that I speak with HR about it.

I'm unsure of what to do. I hate drama and I don't want any problems.

What would you do if you were me?

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. I don't know. I'd be asking HR about what mgmnt. is doing with regard to your work schedule and why it is they think they're legally entitled to do so, as well as to what business need they think they have that is driving this sort of scheduling? I'd do this just to verify that they are in violation of State and employer work scheduling policy.

If they're indeed engaging in improper practices, they'll back off. If they've overheard (or become aware of) you complaining to co-workers about your schedule, then their' calling you in to criticize you for talking too much and not just working is probably based off of that: because they don't feel as though they can afford to have you socially undermining their authority in your work community. So it's not that you're talking too much (really) but that the things your saying have them feeling threatened.

I'd give you advice about what to do, but I've historically been too much of a fire cracker (loose cannon) myself when it comes to confronting bosses about their behaviors that I know I'd just be playing the hypocrite. I think a humble person of prayer and forgiveness, such as yourself (which I have not been for most of my working life) will figure out what to do with the insights I've provided regarding the motives behind your bosses behaviors.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Being a model employee with very good reviews/raises, and then hardly talking according to your team members/team lead, I'd say someone in management may have it out for you. From what you've described here that does sound like reprisal, but unfortunately that can be hard to prove. Especially stemming from one incident on the part of the management team. You'd need to be able to prove beyond a doubt that you're being targeted, and harassed.

If/when it gets to that point I'd definitely take it to HR. As it stands you were simply given a warning which I can't say sounds like harassment or targeting, but it does come at a time that I can see how it could be perceived as retaliation. Do your best to know the law, rules and regulations concerning your workplace, and industry and be sure to keep your management team on their toes.

In short, I'd wait until it definitely looks like retaliation, harassment, or targeting and then you'd be able to go to HR with a magazine full of ammunition. When should you do this? That's up to you, and it's a situation I'd continue to monitor.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If it were me, I'd probably document pretty much what you've told us here, in your private records, and just wait to see what happens. I've known many bosses seem to feel threatened when you go against them in any way and it may be a small retaliation. If it goes no further, doesn't affect your job or work environment, then I'd say no further action is necessary than just to keep up with it.

I hope it's no more than that?

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Keep on keeping on, but it has a wif of retaliation. In the meantime, keep a log and document every interaction you've had with HR or management or even some quibs about working hard from your colleagues. Include the incident you've posted here.

I'm not a lawyer, but it's good to have your ducks in a row now in case management does something more nefarious later on.

Tell HR about your chat management.

Upvote 0