Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine challenged me to consider joining him on a mission to find a Church where they preach the Bible faithfully.

We were both attending a Catholic Church, before we decided that the teaching was not Biblical in many ways. I won't go into all the errors we found, as it would take too long to list them and to add all the supporting scriptures.

I wanted to discuss the modern Churches and the direction in which they are heading. We visited many churches and usually came home disappointed with the preaching and our ears ringing from the loud armature Church rock bands.

We found most of them were trying to give the congregation what they wanted, such as good music, expensive coffee machines, comfortable seats and very friendly people.

While they were very friendly and provided entertainment, they failed to preach the whole Gospel. The vast majority only preached the parts of Gospel which speak of Gods love, mercy and prosperity. They never mentioned sin or judgement.

We asked some of the pastors why they didn't preach the whole counsel of God and we got a lot of interesting responses, ranging from. "That old fashioned fire and brimstone preaching wouldn't go down well in this town", to "we feed them milk at first and then slowly introduce meat", but the truth is they always stick with milk.

I know the world has changed, we have a lot of gay people in the Churches and many new age types, who like to add human wisdom and science to the Bible and create a kind of man made gospel that everyone can accept and relate to.

Thank the Lord, we eventually found a faithful Bible based Church where the whole counsel of God is preached.

The pastor mentioned in his sermon on Sunday, that we should prepare for persecution and soon he won't be allowed to legally preach about Biblical things like the sin of Sodomy and abortion.

The faithful Churches will be forced to stop preaching about sin, because it offends people. The liberals will impose their world view on Churches and stop them from preaching the whole counsel of God.

The future looks bleak for the Church, we might have to go underground soon.

Hmmm, must not understand the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians are being persecuted and slaughtered in large numbers, in the Middle East and in some African countries.
Our Church supports Christians in these countries, and we get a news letter from them regularly. We hear some really horrific stories from our brethren in these countries and we pray for them every week.
I think the whole world is against Christians, even my family is estranged from me since I converted from Catholicism.
The countries you mention are Muslim with the exception of Israel. Some African nations are Muslim as well. No one doubts that the Muslim persecute Christians. But this is not world wide. There are some nations where Christians are not being persecuted. I know a lot of Christians from nations where they are facing loss of freedom but it is simply not true world wide. Neither the atheists nor the Muslims are able to raise protest against the Christian faith in some places. The grade school my kids attended had a very Jesus centered CHristmas program. The Muslim parents protested and the teachers said that they are a Christian nation and the program stands. The Muslims are not required to attend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Ok I agree that a church has to preach truth, but I don't get the whole put down of seeker sensitive church. If a church is not bringing new converts in, it will eventually die. Nothing wrong with coffee or a friendly atmosphere or modern sounding music. Many an church becomes so ingrown that outreach ends, the membership ages and the church dies. Don't ever compromise the gospel, but don't stay with doing the same old thing if you are dying. God is about love, not tradition.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The countries you mention are Muslim with the exception of Israel. Some African nations are Muslim as well. No one doubts that the Muslim persecute Christians. But this is not world wide. There are some nations were Christians are not being persecuted. I know a lot of Christians from nations where they are facing loss of freedom but it is simply not true world wide. Neither the atheists nor the Muslims are able to raise protest against the Christian faith. The grade school my kids attended had a very Jesus centered CHristmas program. The Muslim parents protested and the teachers said that they are a Christian nation and the program stands. The Muslims are not required to attend.
Persecution comes in many different forms, it doesn't need to be something violent. It can be something as subtle as what happened to a friend of mine who didn't get a promotion because he didn't join his workmates for drinks where the waitress is topless.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Persecution comes in many different forms, it doesn't need to be something violent. It can be something as subtle as what happened to a friend of mine who didn't get a promotion because he didn't join his workmates for drinks where the waitress is topless.
Well, the Christians who were sewn into animals skins and given to wild beasts to devour would not call that "persecution." If Christians don't know the difference between persecution and paying a small price for fearing God instead of man, the church is a lot poorer. One can suffer because one is a Christian some small inconvience or slight but that is not persecution. Also, I know a Christian who claimed they were persecuted for being a christian but after I observed them for a while, I realized they were "persecuted" or really just slighted because they were completely selfish and obnoxious. I am careful about believing people who say they are suffering because they are a Christian and certainly not if a job promotion was given elsewhere and they call that "persecution." It is a loss of money, not their life.

By the way, where does this man live?

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
  • Ok I agree that a church has to preach truth, but I don't get the whole put down of seeker sensitive church. If a church is not bringing new converts in, it will eventually die. Nothing wrong with coffee or a friendly atmosphere or modern sounding music. Many an church becomes so ingrown that outreach ends, the membership ages and the church dies. Don't ever compromise the gospel, but don't stay with doing the same old thing if you are dying. God is about love, not tradition.
I totally agree with you, there's nothing wrong with music or a friendly atmosphere. But Church should be all about worshiping God and hearing the the whole counsel of God being preached.

I'm concerned that many Churches have compromised the Gospel to accommodate all kinds of sinful life styles, instead of confronting them and urging them to repent.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Dan1988, post: 72929328, member: 411246"]A friend of mine challenged me to consider joining him on a mission to find a Church where they preach the Bible faithfully.

We were both attending a Catholic Church, before we decided that the teaching was not Biblical in many ways. I won't go into all the errors we found, as it would take too long to list them and to add all the supporting scriptures.

I wanted to discuss the modern Churches and the direction in which they are heading. We visited many churches and usually came home disappointed with the preaching and our ears ringing from the loud armature Church rock bands.

We found most of them were trying to give the congregation what they wanted, such as good music, expensive coffee machines, comfortable seats and very friendly people.

While they were very friendly and provided entertainment, they failed to preach the whole Gospel. The vast majority only preached the parts of Gospel which speak of Gods love, mercy and prosperity. They never mentioned sin or judgement.

We asked some of the pastors why they didn't preach the whole counsel of God and we got a lot of interesting responses, ranging from. "That old fashioned fire and brimstone preaching wouldn't go down well in this town", to "we feed them milk at first and then slowly introduce meat", but the truth is they always stick with milk.

I know the world has changed, we have a lot of gay people in the Churches and many new age types, who like to add human wisdom and science to the Bible and create a kind of man made gospel that everyone can accept and relate to.

Thank the Lord, we eventually found a faithful Bible based Church where the whole counsel of God is preached.

The pastor mentioned in his sermon on Sunday, that we should prepare for persecution and soon he won't be allowed to legally preach about Biblical things like the sin of Sodomy and abortion.

The faithful Churches will be forced to stop preaching about sin, because it offends people. The liberals will impose their world view on Churches and stop them from preaching the whole counsel of God.

[/QUOTE

Welcome to the underground. (when/ if you make it)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No one of any denomination can do that, you know.
That's true today, of course.

In Scripture, in the New Testament, though,
who granted understanding of Scripture to the Apostles and the disciples ?

Reactions: FatalHeart
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I totally agree with you, there's nothing wrong with music or a friendly atmosphere. But Church should be all about worshiping God and hearing the the whole counsel of God being preached.

I'm concerned that many Churches have compromised the Gospel to accommodate all kinds of sinful life styles, instead of confronting them and urging them to repent.

I agree that "the church" should be about worshiping God and hearing the whole counsel of God; but doesn't the counsel of God indicate that our being "the church" INCLUDES a whole lifestyle inside and outside the actual Sunday morning service, 24/7? The "church" isn't ONLY about worshiping God directly with hymns/music and preaching/hearing, it's also about full and beneficent fellowship as the Body of Christ, along with acts of service for those people in general, even finding ways to "reach" them and gain their attention. So, I'm not sure why we Christians have such a hard time implementing a synthesis of both TRUTH and LOVE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well, the Christians who were sewn into animals skins and given to wild beasts to devour would not call that "persecution." If Christians don't know the difference between persecution and paying a small price for fearing God instead of man, the church is a lot poorer. One can suffer because one is a Christian some small inconvience or slight but that is not persecution. Also, I know a Christian who claimed they were persecuted for being a christian but after I observed them for a while, I realized they were "persecuted" or really just slighted because they were completely selfish and obnoxious. I am careful about believing people who say they are suffering because they are a Christian and certainly not if a job promotion was given elsewhere and they call that "persecution." It is a loss of money, not their life.

By the way, where does this man live?
My friend lives in Australia, he wasn't calling it persecution. I was using that incident to point out that Christians can suffer or miss out on opportunities because those in high positions don't like them for the simple reason that they are Christians.

The laws in Australia are changing quickly and we are losing our freedom to worship without interference from the Government.
Our Church has received a letter to inform us that we must comply with the new laws if we are to continue renting our government owned building. The letter said that we must be an inclusive Church, who is willing to marry gay people.

We are currently looking for another building to rent

• Informative
Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praise the Lord Jesus Christ!
Yes we are in the last days, my brother! Many have erred from the faith into doctrines of devils, in order to have their ears tickled (their Spirit filled) and their flesh still satisfied.
Take heed, brethren, the doctrines and commandments of men! Such as abstain from meats and the keeping of the sabbath day, let no man judge you in such. Hallelujah!
Praise the Lord Jesus, may God bless you abundantly.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended the Carholic Church for 2 years, before switching to Protestant denominations. I encourage you to look for a new church with patience.

I do not condemn Catholics, and I dont agree with the 'war' between Protestants and Catholics. No church is perfect. There are Protestant churches that have a lot of problems as well.

In the Catholic Service, things are very scripted - traditional - and that takes away from a personal relationship. the Catholic service tends to emphasize the holiness of God, but God is 'at a distance'. But I do believe that there are Catholics and priests with a very high devotion to Christ. Also, I do miss the Dawn Mass.at Easter, which is a very beautiful ceremony.

Yes ... many Protestant churches have gone to the opposite extreme. In an effort to welcome newcomers, you almost get the impression that Jesus is a buddy who drinks a mocha coffee with you. I think that as a Protesrant believer you must do more of the 'heavy lifting' yourself ... take the time to do your Bible readings and get involved. But there are plenty of opportunities!

Best wishes and prayers for success!!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
A friend of mine challenged me to consider joining him on a mission to find a Church where they preach the Bible faithfully.

Secular progressive churches have a way of ignoring the Lord's commandments, don't they? Maybe a more conservative church would be better in the long run.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you were looking for a church that agrees with your personal interpretations of the Bible, and you kept looking until you found one. And there you have the sad story of Protestantism. Thousands of unauthorized manmade churches, each teaching something different, so that everyone can look until they find what they want to hear. Claim that you know the Bible, yet reject the words of Jesus Christ Himself, to the ONE Church He founded - "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me" - because those words don't fit with your personal agenda. Reject the biblical interpretations of the Church that compiled the Bible from its own writings, because you interpret some passages differently. So do the thousands of other Protestant denominations. How sad. How far from truth people can be drawn once they reject God's plan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
PaulCyp feels strongly and so PaulCyp will be directed. ;) I do believe the unity will come, whether it is now or later, God has not shown me, but He is moving. I would hesitate to side with history because it isn't clever words God wants faith based in but His power. Although some will twist the Spirit's guiding to suit themselves and there will be false miracles, it's important to understand that the elect will be saved. All you ever had to do was love the truth. It's not hard when God is behind you, and He is behind anyone who keeps in step with the Spirit. Yet just as Jesus could do many miracles and they still disliked him, so understand that it has always come down to a heart battle, not an evidence battle.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My friend lives in Australia, he wasn't calling it persecution. I was using that incident to point out that Christians can suffer or miss out on opportunities because those in high positions don't like them for the simple reason that they are Christians.
As i said, Anglo-American cultures are likely facing this. And you called it persecution. Your friend has a particular problem in that I’ve heard that Aussie males expect a specially strong loyalty to their “mates” who is NOT their spouse. I’m sure he suffered for not going along.
The laws in Australia are changing quickly and we are losing our freedom to worship without interference from the Government.
Our Church has received a letter to inform us that we must comply with the new laws if we are to continue renting our government owned building. The letter said that we must be an inclusive Church, who is willing to marry gay people.
Oh, I’m very sorry to hear that. Very sorry.
We are currently looking for another building to rent
I stand with you in prayer for that.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Kevin, there is a fine line to be drawn with this. The HS does lead the church into all truth, and we believe that he is with the individual believer. But when the claim is made that all you have to do is listen to the HS and he will tell you what every verse in the Bible means...or worse, that the Bible isn't as meaningful as your own insights--attributed to the HS of course--that is going too far.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my earlier post, where I said that we should always pray that the Holy Spirit would give us the true meaning of the scriptures when we study them.

The Holy Spirit has nothing to say to us, He only opens our understanding so we can rightly interprit the Holy Scriptures. God does not speak to us anymore, He finished speaking to us through the Apostle John when he wrote the book of revelation.

We are trying to learn the same old things that the first Christians had to learn 2000 years ago, there's nothing new in the Bible. It's exactly the same message as it was 2000 years ago, mankind is still exactly the same as he was back then. There hasn't been any new revelation, since John wrote the book of revelation.

So we are just trying to understand the same old message, the first Christians had to learn. It's still the same old Holy Spirit helping us to understand the same old message.

God deliberately had His prophets write the Bible in such a way that it can only be truly interpreted by those who are led by the Holy Spirit. Those who use human reasoning and human wisdom and human intelligence will never truly understand it. That's why we have so many denominations, all claiming to possess the truth.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I suspect part of the problem is a lot of people want Jesus as their Savior, but not as their Lord.
Sadly your suspicion is true of most professing Christians. You don't need to look too closely to see the evidence of false believers. Just look at how the prosperity preachers attract tens of thousands of eager Christians.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dan1928, you seem to have resolved your problem and are now simply telling us how it went, but the thought that occurred to me is that you went from one end of the denominational spectrum straight to the other when looking for the solution. Something of a frying pan and fire situation. I am sure that there are quite a few churches that would have worked for you.
My conversion was radical, before my conversion I fell into the depths of depravity. I was enslaved by a life of sin, including uncontrollable fornication, hard drug addiction, alcoholism, gambling, various criminal activities and I was heavily into the Occult.

I used to confess these sins to the Priest at my Catholic Church, he used to give me a list of things to do and advise me to fast and pray. This went on for years and it was like a revolving door, where he would give me absolution then I would go out and do it all over again.

I hit rock bottom around three years ago, I came to the end of myself and I was curled up in a fetal position dope sick and morally bankrupt.
I cried out to Jesus to save me, as I felt like I was dying. Jesus did respond to my plea, His peace came over me and I felt like I was being embraced.

The Holy Spirit entered into my heart and began to transform me from that day on and He continues to work in me to this day.
I know that the work will continue until I finally receive my glorified sinless body after I leave this corrupt body of death.

I felt the need to worship God in a radical Church, because Jesus was radical. He wasn't accommodating of anyone's sinful lifestyles. His Gospel demands that the believer must lose his life in order to receive the new life.

We don't just add Jesus to our lifestyle, we forsake everything and lose everyone who stands between us and Jesus. If we try to hold on to anything or put anything or anyone before Him, then we are not worthy of Him and He will leave us in our sin.

Sorry I had to used so many words to answer your simple question :preach:

Upvote 0