Seeing the spiritual world (demons and angels)

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Neither are shipbuilding, mathematics, or electronics. And yet there are extremely gifted people in each of those fields. I recently read a story about someone with Asperger's Syndrome who designed guitar effects for a rock band and could hear the sound of the effects box just by looking at a circuit diagram. (Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison)

I assumed the OP was speaking in a spiritual sense, which is why I wrote about his "gift" not being listed in Scripture.

Are you claiming these abilities are all demonic in nature? Or my own great grandmother's math abilities (won state champion math bees as a kid) were demonic?

I think seeing demons and talking to them is demonic. That seems very obvious to me... But why would skill in mathematics be demonic?

In scripture we do have occasion where God opened the eyes of an individual to see the spirit world around him. 2 Kings 6.15-17

Are you saying the OP's situation and that of Elisha and his servant are parallel? I don't see that at all.

While I do not personally know of anyone who operates in this fashion; I could easily see where this could be a part of the gift "discerning of spirits." (1 Cor 12)

I think what you can "easily see" is stretching (at least) the purpose and meaning of the "discerning of spirits" gift. There is certainly no instance in Acts or in the rest of the New Testament letters where the apostles or other believers "discerned spirits" by actually seeing and talking to demons as the OP claims to do.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are instances where Our Lord spoke directly to demons. And in Acts we have them speaking to the sons of Skiva.

There is nothing saying this is one way or the other. So to give a blanket statement is nothing but assumption. Unless you are claiming God told you that every instance of this was demonic. Do you make that claim?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think what you can "easily see" is stretching (at least) the purpose and meaning of the "discerning of spirits" gift.
Discerning of spirits is knowing:

A IF a demon is involved
B what specific demon is involved
C if there are more than one
D if more than one, which one is the "strong man"
E How it (they) came to be attached
F discerning whether it (they) has left or just went into hiding.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are instances where Our Lord spoke directly to demons. And in Acts we have them speaking to the sons of Skiva.

There is nothing saying this is one way or the other. So to give a blanket statement is nothing but assumption. Unless you are claiming God told you that every instance of this was demonic. Do you make that claim?

Our Lord speaking to demons is rather different, it seems to me, than what the OP had described of his experiences with demons. And the sons of the priest Sceva being attacked by demons that they were trying illegitimately to cast out is not very much like what the OP has described of his interactions with the demonic and it certainly wasn't a demonstration of any spiritual gifting. Again, stretching.

I see nothing either in Scripture or in the account the OP has offered of anything that suggests the OP's experience of the demonic is some sort of spiritual gifting. And if it is not, it is highly foolish to urge him to think it is. I do, though, see warnings in Scripture about giving ground to the devil, against having any kind of fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, and of the destructive purposes of the devil and his angels. In light of these warnings, I would be greatly remiss in encouraging the OP to any sort of ease with the demonic, or worse, to a belief that his interactions with the demonic are of God. Such a thing seems just shy of the unforgivable blasphemy of the Pharisees.

Discerning of spirits is knowing:

A IF a demon is involved
F discerning whether it (they) has left or just went into hiding.

Interesting. Please give scriptural support for these points of yours. Thanks.

Selah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. Please give scriptural support for these points of yours. Thanks.
Selah.
We both know there is NO scriptural definition of this gift (or several others for that matter).

This is an experiential list.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted by Dave-WOhev: "Discerning of spirits is knowing:
A IF a demon is involved
F discerning whether it (they) has left or just went into hiding."

Hopefully, Dave-WOhev doesn't mind - so took the liberty.

A. "Discerning of spirits" They're either Godly or ungodly spirits (I John 4:1)
B. which one? can be one as in Luke 13:11, the "spirit of infirmity"
C. how many? can be many as "legion" which means many (Luke 8:30)
D. which one is dominate? "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." Heb 8:12 Iniquities are the root and sins are the offshoot.
E. How were they attached? For example, there's no Scripture that indicates Cain repented of his heart condition. Cain refused Yahweh's help and the problem increased until he killed Abel (Gen 4). I John 3 says Cain's works were evil while Abel's were righteous. Roots explained - "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16 Also Prov 18:14 So imo pride was the root (Gen 4:6-7; 13-15).
F. a couple of examples of when they leave: (a) "...see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: ..." Mark 5:15 (b) "...immediately she was made straight, and glorified God." Luke 13:13

Discerning of spirits is like all the other manifestations of The Spirit - the information has to come from Yahweh (I Cor 12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W Ed

Jun 2, 2016
New York
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is my first post.

I am a believer in Jesus the Christ, the Son of the Living God. I have been a believer from age 16. I was caught up in inappropriate contentography and had a very perverted mind at a very early age but I had an encounter with God. One of my pot smoking friends that I hung out with regularly invited me to a church meeting. I went to the meeting and I really don't remember anything the speaker was talking about because I was having a conversation within my own mind with God. Making a long story short, I made a decision to believe in Jesus and went up for prayer. When they prayed for me and smeared oil on my forehead (anointed me with oil), the presence of God came over me and it felt as if the weight of the world lifted off of my shoulders, my hands flew up in the air as I worshiped God with a reality that I had never experienced. After that I began to have dreams/visions.

I began to see things in dreams, both good and bad, some appeared to be things that were happening and things that would happen in the future. I began to read the scriptures and study allot while attending college. I met an evangelist that came to our town and took the young me and my wife under her wing so to speak. She demonstrated the power of God by setting young people free for the power and grasp of unclean spirits (demons). So I believe in seeing things in the spirit realm. I have seen angels and demons. That's just a little about me.

We are spiritual beings whether we are believers or unbelievers in Jesus. We are therefore predisposed to the spiritual realm. Cornelius (an unbeliever) in Acts chapter 10 saw into the spiritual realm. God spoke to him in a dream/vision. Saul of Tarsus was an unbeliever, God spoke to him in an open vision (in the spiritual realm). The people around him did not see and hear the same thing as Saul did. If we are all sitting in the same room and hear someone talk in the natural realm we would all hear the same thing.

God speaks to us in/through the spiritual realm. That is why both believers and unbelievers can see angels, demons or other spirit beings. It is an ability that we all have (to different degrees) because of how God made us. Some people are born with a more developed ability. Others must awaken and exercise their ability to become able to see more. It is my belief that seeing in the spirit is not a gift (it is not spoken of in the Bible as a gift) but an ability given to all human beings because it is the way God communicates with us and how he made us. We are spiritual beings, living in a natural body. God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).

I play piano by ear. I learned to play by ear along with some music theory. It was an innate ability that needed to be developed and exercised. My youngest son got to an age where he wanted to play piano also. He could not play but because of our family history, I knew he had it in him. Once he set his mind to learning and practicing, he became a better pianist than I did... because he practiced more than I did. He has some friends that seemed to excel and become better than him, faster than him but over time he is catching up to them by practicing.

The spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:1-10) can only operate after the Holy Spirit has come into us. If you are a believer, ask the Holy Spirit why you are seeing what you are seeing. He is the best teacher around. Seek godly counsel... people that believe in salvation, healing, miracles, the baptism in/with the Holy Spirit as seen in the book of Acts.

Did you ever wonder why more healing and miracles seem to happen in Africa or South America? Why Muslims and people of the Jewish faith seem to have more dreams/visions? Culturally, these people believe in the spirit world and are more open in my opinion to operating in it. In the States we've been told not to believe and we can shut out the spiritual world eventually. We have psychiatry, counselors,etc and no need for the spiritual realm but that is part of the problem.

We tell people they are possessed possibly when they are not. Some people have a heightened ability to see more and they need mentoring, teaching and training. Some may be influenced by demons and need to receive spiritual counsel.

Caution must be taken when dealing with the spirit realm without knowledge. Seek mentoring. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and connect you to the right people. He will never lead you astray.

Upvote 0

EPHESIANS6:10-11

Jun 7, 2015
✟16,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I see Angels and demons my husband say its my mental health and not a spiritual gift ...my husband dont believe in things like this being a spiritual gifts ...but my am not sure sometimes i think its a gift and other times i think its my mental health i also have delusions and paranoia depression and OCD
Some time i see demons with there face falling off or really deformed
Angel look like there shining like bright white and wings
the angels are nice they talk to about Jesus and some times i see Jesus ...am crazy

Upvote 0

W Ed

Jun 2, 2016
New York
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see Angels and demons my husband say its my mental health and not a spiritual gift ...my husband dont believe in things like this being a spiritual gifts ...but my am not sure sometimes i think its a gift and other times i think its my mental health i also have delusions and paranoia depression and OCD
Some time i see demons with there face falling off or really deformed
Angel look like there shining like bright white and wings
the angels are nice they talk to about Jesus and some times i see Jesus ...am crazy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W Ed

Jun 2, 2016
New York
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, are you under the care of a good shepherd (pastor)?

One thing I've learned the hard way is that we all need some type of godly spiritual guidance. You need a healthy mentor-ship relationship either in a church or group that is grounded in the word of God and believes in fundamental biblical teachings. God sent his Son Jesus, who died for the forgiveness of our sins (and in our place) to give us eternal life. God sent the promise of the Holy Spirit and we should be sure we are baptized with His Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit is our guide and teacher of all truth.

So you need to be regularly in the company of other mature believers who have been filled with the Holy Spirit that can teach you about spiritual things.

We are all born with the ability to see into the spirit world because we are spiritual beings. Some people lean more toward the natural and may have even blocked out or filtered out the spiritual realm. You on the other hand may have a heightened or more developed ability.

Spiritual gifts come by the Holy Spirit.
Seeing things in the spirit realm comes from how God made us. We are spirit beings (with souls) living in natural (physical) bodies. We need to be saved through faith in Jesus Christ so that the Holy Spirit will come and live in us, giving us access to the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

You should only discuss what you see with other mature believers in Jesus Christ.

I would suggest spending a certain amount of time each day praying to God and meditating on His word. Spend time reading the Bible daily. In your prayer time, ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand what you are seeing and ask why is He allowing you to see them or even what He would like for you to do with what you are seeing.

You must know that demons can only influence you when you give them access to you. There are doorways or channels they can use to gain access to us. Galatians 5:19-21 are ways they gain access to us. Don't let people trick you into thinking that after believing in Jesus we can live a loose life. If you have given yourself to God you must begin to deny the things of the flesh that are offensive to our heavenly father.

You can and should control your thought life. Meditate on these scriptures to help you settle your spirit:

Isaiah 26:3 - You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:6 - In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight (or direct your paths).
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

I hope this helps. You don't sound crazy to me. You simply need to grow in the things of God and learn.

Upvote 0

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where the veil is thin, I have seen. Done war with some, been scarred by one (deeply). Healed from that soul wound, I am still not up to full strength. . . it was a big one, not the kind that trot around in single individuals and victory had a HUGE cost on my being. Spiritually like winning a battle but loosing a leg and a hand. These things are not to be dabbled in lightly or taken as a sign of valor/ right of passage. . . if you can avoid it, do. Demons are real and saying "jesus jesus" will not magically make them submissive. There are no magic words, there is faith & state of your heart and there is getting shredded. . be careful.

Upvote 0

W Ed

Jun 2, 2016
New York
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where the veil is thin, I have seen. Done war with some, been scarred by one (deeply). Healed from that soul wound, I am still not up to full strength. . . it was a big one, not the kind that trot around in single individuals and victory had a HUGE cost on my being. Spiritually like winning a battle but loosing a leg and a hand. These things are not to be dabbled in lightly or taken as a sign of valor/ right of passage. . . if you can avoid it, do. Demons are real and saying "jesus jesus" will not magically make them submissive. There are no magic words, there is faith & state of your heart and there is getting shredded. . be careful.

First and foremost is a relationship with the Father. Finding our purpose in Him. Learning His ways and doing what pleases Him. Always be careful. That is why I recommend a close relationship with the Father through consistent prayer and meditation on the word of God. Surround ourselves with wise godly counsel (Psalms 1:1). Remembering that we are here for each other (James 5:16 - "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.)". We must love one another an minister to one another's needs. Knowing God above all else is what we should strive for because everything we need flows out of Him. Spend time with Him in daily set apart time to just be in His presence. He will lead and guide us through.

The abilities and gifts we have are for God to work with us and through us with. We are heirs and joint heirs. We are a "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:." (1 Peter 2:9).

Colossians 2:15 - And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Jesus (finished) work on the cross has placed us in a position to work with God to deal with the enemy. Only we must not do it in ignorance of the enemies devices. A solid foundation of the word of God and an intimate relationship with Him, learning to clearly hear His voice will keep us from pitfalls when we explicitly obey His voice. He will never send us into a battle that He has not prepared us to win. Even temptation has an escape clause! 1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Act 2:17 - And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

This is our heritage in God! We just need to remain in the calling that God has for us. Also remember the words of Jeremiah the prophet regarding Uzziah: And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper. (2 Chron. 26:5)

Upvote 0

EPHESIANS6:10-11

Jun 7, 2015
✟16,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
i have only started to go to the church am going to
i have asked that one of the pastors call me so i can talk to him over the phone ....he young about 40 maybe younger
but his age shouldnt matter av not talked to him very much but he seems like a nice guy
I want to ask about being baptized i was when i was a baby ( my family are catholic ) unsure if could get it done again am now 39 and i feel it will bring me closer to Jesus ... i dont know many people at this church av only been to two services and was at the womens group twice

the women are really nice i want to do some bible study but my husband thinks am going too fast at the moment so i need to try and go slower my husband just worries about my mental health
I see it as a gift even thought the demonds scare me a lot and i find them very triggering ...yes an starting to spending some times praying and reading the bible
i dont know many passages from the bible i have never read the whole of it
i would like to learn more about Jesus and his life and what he did for us by dying on the cross i am changing a lot from what i normally do like not spending time with people who are negative or a bad influence

Upvote 0

W Ed

Jun 2, 2016
New York
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i have only started to go to the church am going to
i have asked that one of the pastors call me so i can talk to him over the phone ....he young about 40 maybe younger
but his age shouldnt matter av not talked to him very much but he seems like a nice guy
I want to ask about being baptized i was when i was a baby ( my family are catholic ) unsure if could get it done again am now 39 and i feel it will bring me closer to Jesus ... i dont know many people at this church av only been to two services and was at the womens group twice

the women are really nice i want to do some bible study but my husband thinks am going too fast at the moment so i need to try and go slower my husband just worries about my mental health
I see it as a gift even thought the demonds scare me a lot and i find them very triggering ...yes an starting to spending some times praying and reading the bible
i dont know many passages from the bible i have never read the whole of it
i would like to learn more about Jesus and his life and what he did for us by dying on the cross i am changing a lot from what i normally do like not spending time with people who are negative or a bad influence

It sounds like you are on the right track. Don't rush things. Take your time. A good place to start reading is the book of Mark and the Book of John (both in the new testament). It is important to get to know what Jesus did, how he lived. He said in one bible scripture "...take my yoke upon you and learn of me..." or from another translation it reads in
Matthew 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me [following Me as My disciple], for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest(renewal, blessed quiet) for your souls." Reading about Him will help you get to know him.

Don't worry about what you believe to be a "gift" right now. Fall in love with Jesus. Get to know Him! However God wants to work through your life will flow from your relationship with Him. Remember, Jesus loves you. That is why he died for you. Don't live your life through what you perceive to be a gift. Live your life knowing that God loved you so much that He gave us His only Son that if we simply believe in Him, we will have everlasting life, beginning in this life and continuing after we leave our earthly bodies.

Jesus summed it all up when he cried out, “Whoever believes in me, believes not just in me but in the One who sent me. Whoever looks at me is looking, in fact, at the One who sent me. I am Light that has come into the world so that all who believe in me won’t have to stay any longer in the dark." (John 12:44-46).

If you are being frightened, remember this: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7). Learn to know what Jesus has done for you through His words. His words are Spirit and Life.

Ask Jesus anything. In your quiet time in prayer and meditation, recite some of the scriptures. Tell Jesus that you want to give the depression to Him in exchange for His peace. Jesus is the "Prince of Peace".

God will still your soul. God says in His word “Be still and know (recognize, understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cbarber805

Nov 27, 2016
California
✟15,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been seeing white, light figures and shadowy figures (My pastor and I presume demon and angels?) and I get different emotions around them. Sometimes, I get these feeling around people, too. I'm still new to the spiritual gift sort of thing, and was kind of confused. It's been going on since I was seven or so.

Upvote 0

Patriot Girl

May 6, 2021
Quincy, MI
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone,

Before i became a Christian, I was able to see demons and rarely angels.

I went to a youth retreat, became a true Christian, and thought i wouldn't be able to see them anymore, which was good because they scared me so much.

After the retreat i've been committing my life fully to Jesus. A week later I saw them again.

They show up more often when i'm scared. Coming home from a movie called 'Flight Plan', I was fearful of going home because I knew I would see them. Sure enough, I did.

It's become so normal for me to see them, I wish i could put more emphasis on this :).

A friend told me that God wanted him to tell me that Satan will only resort to showing himself if he knows that I will bring people to Christ (sweet!).

When I have some more time, I will make a list and post a few stories of my experiences with demons. I've had a few conversations with them. Some are interesting.

But, God has taught me lessons through this. That I shouldn't be afraid of them. That i shouldn't be fascinated with the demonic spirits. And that God will show them to me for a reason (to pray for certain people, etc).

Does anyone else here have this gift?

I didn't even ask for it, I received it before I had the Holy Spirit.

I would like to ask anyone if there is anything I should pray for about this gift? I don't really know what to do with it anymore. Sometimes they do still scare me. Any verses?

:) Thanks. God bless you.
Hello. I joined this forum because I read what you wrote and I also have seen and heard demons. I was born again in 1994. I started to become very interested in researching both bible prophecy and the evil in our world. The only things I asked God for was wisdom and discernment to understand what I was reading. That prayer was answered. I then began to experience demonic activity in my house. I would hear whisperings, growling, my dog would see or sense them and chase them. At first I had no idea what these sounds were but as I started demons, I realized what they were. Ok...2017, I move to a northern state. I can sense my neighborhood here is spiritually very dark. I live in a house once inhabited by my husband's Freemason family. I understand that this area is full of demonic activity at this point. Now I have been growled at, cussed at, tripped, seen a shadow demon standing in top of my basement stairs staring at me, fallen angels zooming through my bedroom, 8 foot humanoid walking across my beachfront, a portal open in my livingroom and two black cloacked demons float in, been hissed at, furniture moved, alarms set off, etc. As I am strong in my faith, I am not afraid. I do witness and teach about demons on YouTube. That is my ministry and I think the demons come because they hate me for doing it. Just don't know what they think they can do. I house the Holy Spirit. I am well protected. I just don't fully understand why they keep showing themselves to me. What do they want???? Does anyone know?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(Most of this thread's posters haven't been on CF for a long time). But will endeavor to answer -

What do they want?
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

II Chron 29 - they cleansed the temple.

I would repent of the family freemasonry involvement. Assuming you're asking God what He wants you to do and if there's an open door(s). "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Heb 4:16

I would tell the demonic to leave in the name of Jesus. After cleansing then asks God to fill all your space with His peace, love, presence, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

BloodWashed91

Aug 4, 2020
The Hague
✟20,053.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I had the ability to see demons when I was a child. I was physically attacked by demons multiple times when i was young. I still feel them and see them in my dreams, but i am too scared to cast them out, i just run or ignore them. I really need some advice because i can feel the opression in my life and i am so lost at this point i dont know which way is up. I know I didnt invite them in because i was four when it started, at least thats as far as I can remember. I just feel like i am losing my mind and sometimes feel unworthy of god to protect me from my fears.

I know this is an old post, but are you still active on this forum?

Upvote 0