Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,316.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
An idea just came to me that will help missionaries in countries closed to the gospel to keep safe from government monitoring of internet access- it is below, you might want to send this out to missionaries that you know.

I have a Bachelor's degree and Master's degree in the Information Technology field and just recently a good idea came to me- this will help Christians in closed countries where there is persecution to them and also government monitoring and censorship of internet access. The idea is here: most websites out there now offer encrypted communication to the website. You can access this in the URL text bar up at the top of the web browser screen. a normal website will have a web address starting with http:// . However if you change this to https:// this will tell it to encrypt all communication with the website to a degree that it is unbreakable. This will help if the government of the country you are in is monitoring your internet activity. They will still be able to see the name of the website you are looking at but not what specifically you are accessing, it is highly encrypted.

Another idea- the country Iran and probably other countries hostile to the gospel censor the internet access in the country and hundreds if not thousands of websites outside the country are banned. There are several ways to get around this but it is not foolproof. Someone in such a country could use something called a proxy server or also a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A proxy server will allow you to bypass the government restrictions. It works by receiving web requests from you in the hostile nation and then the proxy goes on the internet and gets the website content that you want and sends it back to you. Since your computer is accessing the proxy and not the banned website directly you can avoid the government restrictions. You can also use an encrypted proxy server and that will help even more. However I have heard that the government in Iran is pretty crafty and they are on to this trick, they will ban access to the proxy and then the proxy will have to switch IP addresses until the government also finds that one and bans it too, it is a chess match with the government. Another thing that is better is using a VPN (virtual private network). A VPN establishes a totally encrypted link with an external web server and it can also fool any eavesdropper into thinking you are accessing a different server that is legal and inside the country so it is even safer than a proxy. However I have heard that the government in Iran is also on to this and they are trying to stop VPNs but it may still work from a random internet cafe inside the country.

The government authorities in Iran are trying their best to keep the gospel out of the country and many christian websites are banned, however a proxy or VPN could help people get around these restrictions and would open the door for the gospel into the country! People could go to an internet cafe and download the bible!

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a couple of friends who are missionaries to China who teach English in a school out there. They use VPN's. Even then, they are still very careful in what they send out and urge everyone to not post anything about their activities on social media.

Reactions: ronlion
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Flash drives hidden in common things like a pen with a digital salvation tract, digital Bible and Christian teachings on them could be helpful. They could disconnect from the internet, and read. You can give it to someone and tell them to open it up to find a hidden flash drive inside. You could leave a flash drive attached to a discreet paper tract. Perhaps a drone could fly overhead and drop them on little parachutes. The drone would be operated from another false location. So if they discovered the origin of the drone operator, they would not find anything but the remote box controlling it. Basically you need a few retired tech guys from the CIA who are either Christian or get them to be converted to Christianity to help you out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There's a browser plugin called HTTPS Everywhere you can use to automatically use https on every site that supports it. And I also encourage the use of VPNs.
A recent update of firefox has something similar to HTTPS Everywhere built in now. When I log into this site, sometimes an HTTPS connection is not available so I have to re-try in another tab up to three times occasionally.

Upvote 0