WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Man in the Mirror by MJ is not so much a worship song but has much merit in the giving/service/introspective aspects of our faith

~Peace & Blessings

That's a good point. I have found, with an open mind, that there are many songs (such as what you named) that would be considered to have a decent message that is in line with moral living. Of course, since they may not be Biblically/theologically meaty (or directly aiming worship to Jesus), I wouldn't go as far as to use such music in church worship time, but that doesn't mean it can't be decent enough for casual listening on one's own time. This can be compared with many mainstream TV programs which star some actors who have questionable philosophies/lifestyles, yet the shows are still suitable for Christians to watch (which, like the music, can be for the purpose of entertainment, which is not bad in its proper perspective).

But, I do have my standards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DundahMifflin

Dec 30, 2010
✟15,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To an extent, I believe it could be done. I am confused at some mindsets that, just because an artist is secular, means they are totally opposed to God and refuse to mention Him. I know that's a lie. We cannot read, or better yet, see the personal lives of these people, so if they are to produce a song about and to God, what's to stop a church/band from performing it?

That said, and this is coming from a major Coldplay fan, most of their material would be highly suggested, as far as secular music in a worship service goes. The only two I would see being playable, though, is "A Message" and "Til Kingdom Come". Seriously, I have no doubt in my mind both of these are pertaining to God. Listen to the lyrics.

Upvote 0

AdamKane

Aug 27, 2008
✟1,316.00
Marital Status
Private
Worship is NOT about feelings at all, or about the soul. That's one of the worst things about modern pop Christianity - the idea that worship is all about feeling good. It's not. That is ENTIRELY anti-scriptural.

If your heart isn't in it, then it's false. You are just going through the motions. Worship is either about the soul or the flesh. I would rather it be about the soul. I think God would also.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. We have three parts to our being - soul, flesh, and spirit. Worship is spiritual. The soul is emotional and intellectual. Worship is not. We may respond emotionally to things that happen during worship, but that is not the purpose of worship - and if all you're getting out of it is an emotional rush, then it's still all about you, and not about God.

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

No. We have three parts to our being - soul, flesh, and spirit. Worship is spiritual. The soul is emotional and intellectual. Worship is not. We may respond emotionally to things that happen during worship, but that is not the purpose of worship - and if all you're getting out of it is an emotional rush, then it's still all about you, and not about God.

Well said. Worship is about our address to God in which we give Him the adoration that His nature and His authority and His work warrant, not about singing uplifting songs to give us goosebumps or an emotional high.

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

I reiterate: why do we need to look to the world for our worship when we already have such a rich history and resource of worship within the Church?

Why must we always mix the things of the world with the things of God?

Do you really think God is honored when we take a secular song and change the "baby"'s to "Jesus"? That's the spiritual equivilent of the guy who forgets his wife's birthday and has to run to the gas station at 11;45 at night and comes back and gives her two Slim Jims because that's all he could find.

I wonder what would happen if we started to act like worship was about God and not about us.

Upvote 0

spiralhoney

Aug 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟7,646.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 98 may answer your questions. In the over 2,000 years since the Psalms new instruments were created so I'm certain we are to make a joyful noise unto the Lord with them all. Let the sea roar... Let the Marshall stacks roar too:). Anyone who gives there heart and all into performing is making a joyful noise, is using the passion and talent the Lord has given them. Explosions In the Sky make a joyful noise. Showbread makes a joyful noise. Agalloch make a joyful noise. It isn't neccessary to hew to a strict lyrical path. Be rebels as Jesus was. You are praising the Lord when you sing with intensity no matter what song it may be.We have passion so as to express it. God takes joy in his creations living to the fullest. He is praised by us simply taking joy in playing and singing and listening. Don't try to restrict anyone's talent and heart.

4Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
5Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.
6With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.
7Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. 8Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awakemysoul

For you were made to meet your maker.
Mar 1, 2011
Near Seattle
✟7,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons, and probably Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons too.
There is a song by a band called This Providence. It's called My Beautiful Rescue. It's actually written about "falling in love" with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
✟8,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Jesus: Bigger Than the Beatles" or "Pop Go Songs of Faith" 1963-2016

Jesus: Bigger than the Beatles 5.0 - YouTube

Thought you might be interested in my eclectic YouTube playlist of songs of faith, written and/or recorded by artists who appeal primarily to secular audiences. These songs comprise the spiritual soundtrack of my own faith journey during the past half century or so, and my choices undoubtedly betray my age (61) as well as my musical tastes.

The culture and social consciousness of my generation--the tail end of the Baby Boom, was profoundedly influenced by popular songs of faith. In my youth, Jesus was cool: I just assumed at the time that would always be the case.

But times and attitudes were a-changin. For example, socially influential Beatle John Lennon would morph, from the activist who implored people of faith and goodwill to "give peace a chance," into a "dreamer" who wished us to "imagine" a world with "no religion."

Thus, when his hero, Bob Dylan, embraced Christianity and declared his faith on his 1979 album "Slow Train Running," Lennon was horrified, and indignant. How could Dylan be so "stupid" as to declare each of us has a choice to "serve somebody ... whether that be the Devil or the Lord." Lennon's response: "Serve Yourself!"

Dylan's song won a Grammy and would be widely covered by other artists (including the great Etta James on this playlist). Lennon's record stiffed, but his admonition to "Serve Yourself" would become THE pop culture ethos of 80s, and beyond.

Dylan's "Slow Train Running" was, in retrospect, something of a high-water mark for faith-based popular music. During the '80s, pop radio stations ceased to add any "religious" songs to their playlists. Likewise, insular "Contemporary Christian Radio" programmers would only play songs from thoroughly vetted artists on approved "Christian" recording labels. Obviously faith-based songs by otherwise "worldly" pop artists were thus scorned by all radio formats.

That's a shame, because some of the most compelling songs of faith have been those written and recorded by prodigal sons and daughters from the rock and pop world. Folks who had once blindly embraced Lennon's ethic, and found their way back home, to the Truth.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman starts a Christian rock band and rewords non-religious songs to be about Jesus. Good episode of South Park, not such a good idea when it comes to doing that.
When I was in college I found out that many from the Jesus movement did just that - re-lyric existing folk and pop tunes. The first one I found actually pre-dated the Jesus movement, it was "The Lion of Judah" to the tune of "The Bells of St Mary's." The biggest one in college (not just the chorus but several verses) was "I See the Light" to the tune of "I shall be Released."

And Ted Sandquist wrote the worship tune "All that I can Do" to the main theme from Beethoven's 9th symphony "Ode to Joy."

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
✟8,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was in college I found out that many from the Jesus movement did just that - re-lyric existing folk and pop tunes. The first one I found actually pre-dated the Jesus movement, it was "The Lion of Judah" to the tune of "The Bells of St Mary's." The biggest one in college (not just the chorus but several verses) was "I See the Light" to the tune of "I shall be Released."

And Ted Sandquist wrote the worship tune "All that I can Do" to the main theme from Beethoven's 9th symphony "Ode to Joy."
A melody is one thing, lyrics are another. Peruse any Protestant hymnal and you'll find a number of hymns set to more than one hymn tune, and hymn tunes that are used as settings for more than one hymn. Nothing extraordinary about that.

Our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner, is set to the tune of an old English drinking song, for Pete's sake. Reason? Because the tune was POPULAR.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peruse any Protestant hymnal and you'll find a number of hymns set to more than one hymn tune, and hymn tunes that are used as settings for more than one hymn. Nothing extraordinary about that.

Our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner, is set to the tune of an old English drinking song, for Pete's sake. Reason? Because the tune was POPULAR.
Yeah - I get that it has a long and storied history. (and that due to the limitations of a 12-tone octave all available melodies were used up in the early 1700s)

Isaac Watts' famous hymn "At the Cross" was also set to a popular drinking tune.

Upvote 0