Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Music is all about feelings and the soul.

Worship is NOT about feelings at all, or about the soul. That's one of the worst things about modern pop Christianity - the idea that worship is all about feeling good. It's not. That is ENTIRELY anti-scriptural.

Upvote 0

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Worship is NOT about feelings at all, or about the soul. That's one of the worst things about modern pop Christianity - the idea that worship is all about feeling good. It's not. That is ENTIRELY anti-scriptural.
I do believe that Gods love does show up every where though and in peoples hearts.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It does, but that has nothing to do with listening to happy feely-good songs about worldly things and calling it worship. We worship God "in spirit and truth", not in emotion and happy thoughts. If we make worship all about Him, He will bless us. If we make worship about feeling good, it's not even worship at all; it's just entertaining ourselves. But you can't make worship about God by singing songs that were written for idols any more than you can plant poison ivy and grow a grape vine.

Once again worship is SACRED. It is something to be set apart, among the holiest of things that we do in our lives. It is not something to be taken lightly, not to be used for emotional indulgence, and not mixed with worldly pleasure at all. If we hold it to any less of a standard, then it is not worship.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Who says the feelings have to be ones of feeling good? You can take the words from a song written about "idols" and transform them into something fresh, with the same feelings as more traditional worship songs. It is not a case of poison ivy and grapes but more a case of people planting pansies and some seeing them purely as border plants and others seeing that they make tasty additions to salads.

Reactions: JCMJ friend
Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does, but that has nothing to do with listening to happy feely-good songs about worldly things and calling it worship. We worship God "in spirit and truth", not in emotion and happy thoughts. If we make worship all about Him, He will bless us. If we make worship about feeling good, it's not even worship at all; it's just entertaining ourselves. But you can't make worship about God by singing songs that were written for idols any more than you can plant poison ivy and grow a grape vine.

Once again worship is SACRED. It is something to be set apart, among the holiest of things that we do in our lives. It is not something to be taken lightly, not to be used for emotional indulgence, and not mixed with worldly pleasure at all. If we hold it to any less of a standard, then it is not worship.
The worst is songs that make God seem like a boyfriend or lover (including people who describe God as such... seriously?). He is God, not exactly something to pervert with these really odd ideas that people seem to get.

I think the worst that comes to mind is that Draw Me Close song...

Upvote 0

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The worst is songs that make God seem like a boyfriend or lover (including people who describe God as such... seriously?). He is God, not exactly something to pervert with these really odd ideas that people seem to get.

I think the worst that comes to mind is that Draw Me Close song...
I think when it refers to boyfriend/husband/lover it doesnt mean in the physical sense shared between two humans that love each other,but its more spiritual ,in a sense thats a even more deeper love as Gods love is unconditional.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is not a case of poison ivy and grapes but more a case of people planting pansies and some seeing them purely as border plants and others seeing that they make tasty additions to salads.

No. That is a matter of preference. What God expects of us in terms of holiness has nothing to do with our preferences, and certainly nothing to do with our feelings.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think when it refers to boyfriend/husband/lover it doesnt mean in the physical sense shared between two humans that love each other,but its more spiritual ,in a sense thats a even more deeper love as Gods love is unconditional.
Even in the spiritual sense, it's so incredibly wrong. He is sacred, he is Lord. Not a lover. Plus, by the descriptions I've heard these people say it, they don't do so in a spiritual way as you describe anyway.

The relationship between God and man has been so skewed within Americanized religion. :\

Upvote 0

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Even in the spiritual sense, it's so incredibly wrong. He is sacred, he is Lord. Not a lover. Plus, by the descriptions I've heard these people say it, they don't do so in a spiritual way as you describe anyway.

The relationship between God and man has been so skewed within Americanized religion. :\
why is it so wrong even if its spiritual?I dont understand to be honest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I heard of church that plays nothing but secular music but the lyrics are changed to psalms.

I don't really have a problem with that, because it's the words that matter much more than the music itself. And many good old hymns were originally folk songs, sung in bars more often than not.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really have a problem with that, because it's the words that matter much more than the music itself. And many good old hymns were originally folk songs, sung in bars more often than not.
Yeah. It's actually rather common with campfire-type settings to sing Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. My mom mentions that sometimes.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

I've always heard that, along with the fact that even the most "traditional" music styles were considered contemporary at one time. But don't try saying that to the anti-CCM bunch (again, it's fine if it's their conviction) because they have their own thoughts.

Which reminds me (in view of Christmas).... "Greensleeves" became "What Child is This?" when William Chatterton Dix rewrote it in 1865.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've always heard that, along with the fact that even the most "traditional" music styles were considered contemporary at one time. But don't try saying that to the anti-CCM bunch (again, it's fine if it's their conviction) because they have their own thoughts.

Heh, well I'm fairly anti-CCM myself, but mostly for artistic reasons.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Heh, well I'm fairly anti-CCM myself, but mostly for artistic reasons.

So, it's just a preference with you. What I'm talking about are those individuals who think it's downright evil because it supposedly "copies 'worldly' sounds" and such. In fact, one of my favorite links (dead now, but thankfully accessible via a web archiver) touches on just that particular issue; I'm just impressed with the way the author analyzes things from a balanced point of view. Yes, it's pretty long, so it's best read in sections over a period of time. I'm not sure another link like it can be found on the 'Web.

For all who may be interested, here it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050910210018/http://members.aol.com/etb700/ccm.html

Upvote 0