Jay Nine

[Master of FFIX]
Mar 15, 2010
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[This is a red hot topic that remains to be argued to this very day. Should we as christians engage in the listening of 'secular' music? For me, I think the obvious answer is yes. If we enjoy a band, why should we let our religion interfere with that? What is a band doing to us that makes it unethical to listen to them? Sure, we should not listen to songs that insult our religion, but after that fact, what is wrong with it? And what about all these new bands that act all satanic?]

[I think that most bands appear to be 'satanic' because that is whats' 'cool' these days. There have been a sudden crop of them in the past two years or so. I am a big fan of metal music, and have increasingly become annoyed, because as time goes on, metal is considered bands like 'Cradle of Filth' instead of bands like 'KoRn' or 'Metallica.' In fact, Ozzy Ozbourne has been placed in the 'alternative' category before, in these modern times. When i grew up, metal was bands like Metallica and Pantera. Cradle of Filth was called 'Death Metal' or 'Black Metal.']

[Anyway, to stay on topic, I think that you can enjoy a band no matter what the band members believe, as long as you aren't listening to songs that insult our religion. I like a lot of Marilyn Manson songs, and I say this with pride and no regret. His self image is full of 'keep away' signs but you may be surprised to note that a lot of his songs are quite enjoyable. Mind you, you need to be a fan of metal to enjoy them, but my statement stands. There are a LOT of songs by Manson that don't even reference god. I've seen him speak on tv, and when asked about religion, he replied that he "has respect for a persons' beliefs." He is simply writing what he, as an atheist, feels.He has some anti-god songs and you know what? I don't listen to them. Easy. I also love Nine inch Nails, and Trent Reznor is a very extreme non believer]

[If we believe that the bands we listen to HAVE to believe in Jesus, then where do we draw the line? Do we stop talking to people on the street because they are nonbelievers? No. We only stop talking to them if they are disrespectful to our religion by knocking it in front of us, or insulting us. Bands aren't really doing that all the time. Sure, there are a lot of bands that sing about 'Screw you Christians' or something to that effect, but I haven't heard that out of Manson or Reznor once. They believe in what they believe in, and that's why they make songs about it sometimes; because they need to express themselves too. Ever made a song about Jesus? Well, that's what atheists do sometimes too. Its' not usually about making us angry]

[We humans feel a wide array of emotions. We as humans feel compelled to write about them. In this way, we sometimes write about our beliefs. This is, in no way, an attack against other religions. In fact, when we are expressing ourselves about it, we aren't typically thinking of other religions at all. For instance, if you write a song about Jesus, are you thinking of Buddaism? I think not. I think, in fact, that such things are far from your mind. You are simply happy to be a christian and are expressing your love for Jesus]

[Sometimes, the christians pointing the fingers are at fault. Now, I'm not saying that being against a band is bad, or that you've commited sin. What I AM saying is that sometimes, those that are against people listening to 'secular' music are actually very baised. For example, do you consider the bands that teenagers listen to as secular music, but think Elvis Presely isn't secular? That sounds a bit fishy to me. We as youth find what type of music we like, and our parents usually hate it. Then, as we age, we grow to hate what is 'new' in the music world. By the time we are 60, there is nothing 'good' to us anymore. All the bands we grew up with have retired, but we still spin those albums. This is a pattern that we follow throughout history! Your parents hated your music, and your parents' parents hated theirs]

[What am I getting at? I'll tell you; a lot of older christians label newer music as 'secular' not because they believe the members of the band to be anti-god, but because they despise the music, so they unknowingly are chastising those bands, calling them anti-god when, in fact, you just hate the music! I'll be honest, I hate Emo music! I am 22 and already I can see the music world change rapidly before my eyes, and I don't like it. But one thing I will NEVER do is automatically run out and declare that listening to those bands as an anti christian thing. Think hard. Do you like Elvis? Maybe the Beatles? Do you also, on that note, consider modern music to be secular or non christian? If you do, I want you to think about that. I'm pretty sure some of the bands you listen to had members that WEREN'T christian, so how is it any different? Weren't the seventies filled with songs about getting high? Does listening to that make you non christian, or make you a drug addict? I don't think so]

[I'm about done, I suppose, lol. I hope I haven't offended anyone, for that is NOT my intention here. I just want to call it as I see it. Fans of the seventies call the eighties secular. Fans of the sixties call the seventies secular. The fifties fans call the sixties secular and so on. I know that not everyone is guilty of this, but I think that a lot are. Sometimes, in my christian life, I would do things that weren't very christian, without realizing it. You can judge someone without knowing it. The important thing is to learn from it. With that said, why not look at your beliefs on music at this very moment? You might find you have been judging music to be ungodly simply because you never grew up with the music. And the whole "This isn't music, its' noise" argument falls on deaf ears. When you were a teenager, your parents said the same thing]

[Well, I think I've said enough about this for now. Feel free to post your opinions, but remember to attack the topic, not the poster >_^]

Last edited:

Fin1234

May 30, 2007
✟8,300.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm a HUGE fan of black metal and bands in the extreme metal genre, interesting that you listed "Cradle of Filth" them being an absolute favourite of mine.

Although I will point out that Cradle isn't really a satanic band.

Outside of that; I am in a weird position, I love that kind of music, I loved even when I was in a very deep commited relationship with a Evangelical Christian.

I see it as compartmentalisation; my persona is made up of many different aspects and sides, I have no hatred for christianity, but I am happy to raise devil horns at a Black metal gig and hail satan for all it's worth.

But I see these as different sides of the coin; my love of black metal etc is a demonstration of one aspect of my personality, one area of my psyche, it may not even be mine, in fact it could just be me exploring a concept through the music.

Can you be secular with music?.. Depends on your religion really, and how deep your religion goes into your world.

Upvote 0

Jay Nine

[Master of FFIX]
Mar 15, 2010
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[I admire your post. I agree with you almost entirely. Your music is yours, none should be able to take that from you. While I dislike the band, it isn't for their religion either. I actually like them musically, but the type of vocalist they have isn't my 'type.' I will never dislike a band over their religious views. There are a lot of christians that attack non believers for their music, and a lot of non believers that attack christians for their music, and it makes me sad to witness such things. Music is unviversal, and can be enjoyed by all, which is why there are so many variations. If it seemed like I was attacking Cradle of Filth, I appologise friend. I offer you a bow, for I think you are quite the intelligent individual. My hat is off to you]

Upvote 0

Fin1234

May 30, 2007
✟8,300.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
[I admire your post. I agree with you almost entirely. Your music is yours, none should be able to take that from you. While I dislike the band, it isn't for their religion either. I actually like them musically, but the type of vocalist they have isn't my 'type.' I will never dislike a band over their religious views. There are a lot of christians that attack non believers for their music, and a lot of non believers that attack christians for their music, and it makes me sad to witness such things. Music is unviversal, and can be enjoyed by all, which is why there are so many variations. If it seemed like I was attacking Cradle of Filth, I appologise friend. I offer you a bow, for I think you are quite the intelligent individual. My hat is off to you]

Oh I wasn't offended at all Jay! Thank you for the nice words though :)

This seems like a really interesting topic and I haven't seen anything on this topic in a while, so I hope this thread kicks of with a "bang". :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
NiN and Marilyn Manson are two of my favorite bands (Trent is a musical genius, imo). People fail to realize that bands like Marilyn Manson are "gimmick" bands, as far as their images are concerned. I'm sure Marilyn Manson gained a lot of fans, not to mention MONEY, by displaying a certain "persona". I, however, just really, REALLY like the music :)

That said, I also LOVE 80's music, electronica, trance, alt rock, rock/hard rock/metal, and country. I like just about anything except contemporary rap.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not (generally speaking) a metal fan. But that is no reason why Christians who enjoy that form of music should not listen to it. Now there may be some bands or tracks that involve problems. Generally even those where there are issues can still be enjoyed by someone whose faith is strong as long as he still takes the proper steps to protect those of less faith or a different understanding. (At least if Paul can be considered to be a good source of Christian thought).

Years ago I remember a preacher ripping 'Stairway to Heaven' becaseu he did not like the message. He was too foolish to listen carefully. All he heard was "And she's buying the stairway to Heaven" he did not hear anything else, especialy the previous line "There's a lady who knows all that glitters is gold". Come one can one get a clearer marker that this woman is badly mistaken?

I know of no form of music that is all bad, every form I know of has some uplisting or warning songs. But sometimes one has to listen without pre judging to realize that just because a song is about something does not means the song is 'singing its praises'.

Upvote 0

TheNihilodeterminist

Feb 13, 2010
✟197.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Christianity sounds like a strain.

If I get back home from work, I feel miserable, and I want to listen to music about how to chop small kids into pieces in a food processor, I don't feel the slightest guilt over it afterwards.

It sounds horrible having to be so totally goody-goody all the time.

Sometimes you are nice, sometimes you are an a-hole. It is only natural. Cut yourself some slack.

Upvote 0

diychristian

Mar 8, 2010
✟15,585.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Awesome topic! I enjoy all kinds of music. I can't think of a genre I don't have in my collection. I think why previous generations seem intolerant of current gens. music is the entropy in morality and the increase on freedom of expression. Now add in the middle of this divergence a parent generation who's morality system becomes more prominent in their lives and you get a clash of generations.
As we increase in age we tend to hold onto morals tighter. When I was in high school and early twenties I hated practically anything I couldn't moshpit, dance (not talking about two stepping) or slam some iron around in the weight room to. Now I am married with kids and have more responsibilities. I care more about: not being angry, keeping healthy relationships, not getting arrested or in trouble, keeping a job, who I hurt, the list goes on. My point, I am holding on to better things now. Music doesn't make you a bad person, but I feel it is a catalyst (just like alchol). I am an immoral being, I choose not to feed my immorality. Now I listen to mainly adult alternative, country, jazz and other easy listening music. I am no where near as wound up and angry as I once was. I still have my old cd's of metallica, icp, korn, linkin park, papa roach,mudvayne and others. When I work out I still have to listen to something with a tempo. Its hard to get psyched up listening to George Strait or Jason Mraz.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I separate my religion from my music and I separate my religion from my friends; that is not to say that I do not offer my religious views to my friends or religiously influenced opinions on my music, but I think by separating things we can learn.

I do not agree with Buddhism but there are some good precepts, and it is good to learn those.

I hope that by presenting my opinions in as intelligent and as good spirited of a way as possible I will influence others to think twice about Christ if they are not already Christians, and in this, I can succeed.

If people say "Verv is a Christian and I find him to be good hearted and well spoken," that is good for the Christian body as a whole. And if they say "I am feeling down... What does Verv think about this?" Perhaps in the situation of crisis they can reconsider their views.

Sometimes it takes a crisis for someone to know that there really was a problem.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

If we apply this to the music we listen too then It should be clear that bands like Metallica, Marilyn manson,Black Sabbath,Otep,Kiss among many others, are stuff Christians should not listen too. How can a christian support a band that promotes sex,violence,drug use and anti-christian lyrics?

As the bible says in Phil 4:8 " Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things".

Questions to ask yourself when listening to certain secular music: Are the lyrics of the song true? Does it have a pure message? Is it praiseworthy? The answer is between yourself and God. God wants us to be wise with what we put in our mind. If the songs you are listening to promotes and encourages any sinful actions, you know beyond a doubt, that the song does not praise God, but the devil. We should be very careful with what we listen to. I would encourage you to not listen to music that has swearing or a false message about life. Don't fill your mind with garbage that can hinder your progress to God's kingdom.

Col 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

Much of today's music industry is perverted and is filled with violence. So if you do listen to secular music you will have to be really careful to not fall in to compromise that will lead to more compromises and before you know it your filling your head with garbage instead of the things of God.

Anyway there is a wide selection of christian music today like Metal (Demon Hunter, War Of ages, Haste the day), Rock (Skillet,Thousand Foot Krutch,Flyleaf), Rap (Lecrae, Manafest,T-Bone), Pop (Stellar Kart, Kristal Meyers, Jump5), Punk (Hawk Nelson,Everyday Sunday,Relient K). Just food for thought. God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YoDude

Feb 25, 2010
Texas
✟7,934.00
Faith
Christian
Recorded music is a tool, I use it when doing projects, relaxing after work, skateboarding, biking, hiking, etc. I don't identify with most lyrics, I am after the sounds. I don't like angry sounds, I need peaceful music, but with an edge, e.g. pop, dance, rock, alternative.

I do believe that 'metal' has become saturated with 'hard core' vocals, which I hate, sounds like the singer is covering up for the fact he can't sing. I used to get a 'release' from 80's metal in my youth, our music was dark on occasion (e.g. Ozzy), but had redeeming undertones, and hope laced with doubt (kinda like what we were experiencing as teens).

I am not convinced that 'metal' (even the new metal), causes kids to do bad things on the whole - it is similar to the violent video games and horror movie arguements - sure there are disturbed kids whom psychosis' is fed by such media; but some people kill with guns, should we ban them all because of a couple of bad apples? The 'release' young people experience by listening to music might just be a good thing on some level, would you rather they riot in the streets to express their teen angst?

Music is very important to me, I listen to what I like, but I avoid tracks that are offensive to my beliefs. I used to be all Chrisitan, some great artists out there, but I just ran out of stuff to listen to - I like maybe 5% of Christian music, so no, I don't limit myself. I consider it art, and an expression of what humans are experiencing at that time, we have the ability to interpret the music, just as art, it does not necessarily mean its evil just because the lyrics talk about dark things, there is lots of darkness in the world, the writer is expressing his views on the world, that is all (as the OP stated).

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If we apply this to the music we listen too then It should be clear that bands like Metallica, Marilyn manson,Black Sabbath,Otep,Kiss among many others, are stuff Christians should not listen too. How can a christian support a band that promotes sex,violence,drug use and anti-christian lyrics?

I'll quote the great Frank Zappa...

"They're just words"

If someone is so easily impressionable that a song will steer them off their religious path or reshape their life/political view, their CD collection is the least of their worries.

Upvote 0

YoDude

Feb 25, 2010
Texas
✟7,934.00
Faith
Christian
To me the sound is the attitude; that said, there are a lot of contemporary groups playing 'christian' metal, and 'christian' rap, that sounds angry, even if the lyrics are christian based. That seems weird to me, but more power to those that like it. I think christian music should be just christian music, and not a copy of worldly music sounds with inserted lyrics. Otherwise, just compose 'metal' music, and call yourself metal, but add christian lyrics as you see fit.

A great example of this is Creed, those lyrics are meaningful and show a young man's struggle with his Faith. It is art, it shows the human condition and his struggle on this earth - would you rather that Scott Stapp sing about flowers and how life is perfect, there may even be some kids that were encouraged in the direction of the Lord from Scott's songs. And, it sounds heavy, because what Scott is feeling and saying is heavy, the sounds fit the words, it is how music is supposed to be.

Finally, I do agree that music can play too much of an influence in certain young people - but like I stated in my previous post, these type people had issues before they started listening to hard music, their parents should get involved if they really believe the music is influencing their children negatively. But, I believe the music choices often fall in line with how they were feeling to begin with, not the other way around.

Upvote 0