Secular music with Godly tones, or spiritual meaning to you...

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guess you can say it was "viral" at the time - 1990ish, way before that Internet phenomenon we call Youtube! :tonguewink:
Indeed. But we saw the video on MTV or (my pref) MuchMusic.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. But we saw the video on MTV or (my pref) MuchMusic.

I actually heard it while I was messing around one day switching stations back and forth... and loved what I heard! It also greatly thrilled me at the time to learn that a popular mainstream artist was performing a tune with inspirational/Christian lyrics. This was during the time that I was pretty much only listening to Christian music (by "Christian music", I mean it had to mention God at least once in a given song or make reference to the Christian lifestyle such as prayer, church, witnessing, heaven, and so on). This was largely due to me hearing other Christians saying (or at least strongly suggesting) that believers should only listen to Christian music and, impressionable as I was, I bought into it. Of course, I broke this "rule" I set for myself when I searched local radio stations listening to snippets (and occasionally entire tracks) of secular mainstream music mainly for comparison purposes. During one of those searches, I happened upon Pray, which was playing on the local "Top-40" radio station which seemed to be popular with my peers at the time. I was happy with what I heard, seeing that it was about prayer, so that fit my criteria of what I considered to be "Christian music" back then. Well, now after several years of casual research of the Christian music question and open-minded analyzation on my part, I have a different perspective, though many Christians undoubtedly would disagree (and that's their prerogative); I listen to a variety of music, both mainstream and Christian, but I base my selections on Biblical principle, and music lyrics do not have to be heavily Spiritual to meet this criteria. Examples would be songs like Count on Me (Bruno Mars) and Roar (Katy Perry); neither song is explicitly Christian, but both have what I believe to be moral and pure messages. If a song goes completely against Biblical standards (and yes, there is a lot of that stuff out there that's complete trash), then I simply don't listen to such songs.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How could I have forgotten this one? It had a profound effect on my faith as a high school student.

"He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sunday.."

Upvote 0

Hamlet7768

World's Second-Worst Polemicist
Nov 2, 2013
United States of America
✟22,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have to admit, when I first read the lyrics for this song I was surprised at the overtly spiritual theme. Allegedly the band's guitarist, who wrote the lyrics for this, is a practicing Catholic. The singer is "spiritual" and the bassist is Christian, as well.

The big payoff is at the end. "To really feel the joy in life, you must suffer through the pain." Reminds me of "take up your cross."

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sup Neo,

The album Human Clay by Creed moved me . As you well know, it is how we approach music. If we come to it in a mind of judgment because another man/woman says it is bad then that person needs to look inside of self (even a preacher). A mind usually holds judgment for they are told to do so. Thus this song...

It is for us to lose that mind of judgment and find this. A step closer to Jesus.

The whole album is worth a listen for a song will speak to some one a word of life (pun intended to the first song on a word of life). Be well brother Neo in your journey :oldthumbsup:.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
✟8,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sup Neo,

The album Human Clay by Creed moved me . As you well know, it is how we approach music. If we come to it in a mind of judgment because another man/woman says it is bad then that person needs to look inside of self (even a preacher). A mind usually holds judgment for they are told to do so. Thus this song...

It is for us to lose that mind of judgment and find this. A step closer to Jesus.

The whole album is worth a listen for a song will speak to some one a word of life (pun intended to the first song on a word of life). Be well brother Neo in your journey :oldthumbsup:.
Agree completely.

• Friendly
Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yanni depp

Est. 1986
Jun 8, 2017
BC
✟71,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I cant find a studio version of the song to reference the specific time on the solo...

But "bold as love" by hendrix, there was a portion of the solo that sounded so jovial that it always made me think of the Supreme Being.

And when i was beginning my walk, this song was just coming out i think or close after.
It really impacted me. Jesus Christ being that "one thing" in the chorus
(Man, it makes me tear up thinkin about his again)

Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Many have found this classic to be inspirational, about a soldier who was chastised for bringing a deck of cards into the chapel, until he explains to everybody why. There have been quite a few covers of this. Here is the Wink Martindale version.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0