Chilldogg77

Dei, Amoris, Veritatis
Jul 6, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟15,660.00
Faith
Catholic
Do you have secular songs that to you are religious? My favorite such song is "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray (later redone by uncle cracker and dobie). It all started with the line "Thanks for the joy that you've given me." This was what i often want to say to God. "I want you to know I believe in your song." This seemed fairly natural to a number of interpretations.
"Rhythm, rhyme, and harmony..." I view this as God's law and commands.
"Give me the beat boys to free my soul" The truth shall set you free. "I wanna get lost in your rock and roll" The presence of God. "And drift away." Into His presence.
"Day after day I'm more confused. I don't understand the things I do. You know that's a game that I hate to lose. And I'm feeling estranged. Aint it a shame? Oh, give me the beat boys to free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll, and drift away" Pretty self explanatory. The only part I can't quite make work is "And when my mind is free, no melody can move me. But when I'm feeling blue, the guitar's comin through to soothe me." I think God can move you even when your mind is free. Ah well, it's supposed to be about music anyway;)
Do you have any songs like this? Care to share your interpretations? Maybe they'll be more self-explanatory, like thinking of God when the song's about a woman or man. Either way, I think it'd be a cool thing to share. Peace!

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, just insert the word "baby" with "Jesus"!!! :D

There's a lot of secular songs that I think of God with, ironically sometimes I am listening to the radio in the car (secular) and it seems like God might talk to me through the song. I have had this happen a couple of times. I don't listen to Christian music, I suppose I just am not into it, maybe I will be someday, I don't know. :)

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chilldogg77 said:
"I don't listen to Christian music, I suppose I just am not into it, maybe I will be someday, I don't know."

Me neither. I guess we just have to make our own.

Hey you don't either? Wow, I figure most Christians would like Christian music. Maybe we are two of a kind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Donna Summer. Calling, Donna Summer!!! Let's see:

1. supernatural love
2. suzanna
3. eyes
4. i'm free
5. forgive me
6. cats without claws
7. he's a rebel
8. unconditional love
9. people, people
10. a runner with the pack
11. take heart
12. the power of one
13. whenever there is love
14. looking up
15. breath of heaven
16. love's about to change my heart
17. state of independence
18. i believe in jesus
19. breakaway
20. when the dream never dies
21. ordinary miracle

Ok, I'll stop now. Just go out and buy one of her cds:)

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Big Papa Goat said:
Just to be fair, a song can't be secular and christian at the same time. Secular means non-religious, and christian means a religion. Mutually exclusive terms dontchano. But any band can sing about God, they don't have to be a 'Christian' band.

me: I disagree, unless you mean something more. 'Chrisitian' means a relationship, not a religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

momof3blessings

John 8:12
Aug 15, 2003
AZ
Visit site
✟528.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Chilldogg77 said:
Do you have any songs like this? Care to share your interpretations? Maybe they'll be more self-explanatory, like thinking of God when the song's about a woman or man. Either way, I think it'd be a cool thing to share. Peace!
Actually I have heard on Christian radio some old rock and roll song's redone. Turn,turn.turn by the Tutles has been redone.Lean on Me. Jeff Carson re did one that is playing on Christian radio now. There is alot of crossover.

Upvote 0

JahRawks

Jul 1, 2003
Earth
Visit site
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well for me, I listen to a combination, I agree, some secular music can still speak to you in a Godly manner, I've had it happen, but secular music is still secular music, I listen to a lot of secular music, cause I can't find anything Christian sometimes when I'm in a bad mood that'll just help me get it all out and help me feel better, so that's usually when I pop in Disturbed, but yeah, it can speak to you in weird ways, but that doesn't mean it's Christian -Nathan

Upvote 0

Pharoah Monch

Aug 27, 2003
✟145.00
i've heard some christian artists cover secular songs and try to give them a christian meaning, or use a sample of a secular song, or do like them dudes, um, the Apologetics, i think thats their name...anyways, they take famous secular songs and give them christian lyrics...personally, since i write music myself, i think is just lack of creativity and originality, but thats just my opinion anyways.....now, i'm not saying God isnt glorified that way, but i'm just talking about the musical aspect of it...

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have secular songs that to you are religious? My favorite such song is "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray (later redone by uncle cracker and dobie). It all started with the line "Thanks for the joy that you've given me." This was what i often want to say to God. "I want you to know I believe in your song." This seemed fairly natural to a number of interpretations.
"Rhythm, rhyme, and harmony..." I view this as God's law and commands.
"Give me the beat boys to free my soul" The truth shall set you free. "I wanna get lost in your rock and roll" The presence of God. "And drift away." Into His presence.
"Day after day I'm more confused. I don't understand the things I do. You know that's a game that I hate to lose. And I'm feeling estranged. Aint it a shame? Oh, give me the beat boys to free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll, and drift away" Pretty self explanatory. The only part I can't quite make work is "And when my mind is free, no melody can move me. But when I'm feeling blue, the guitar's comin through to soothe me." I think God can move you even when your mind is free. Ah well, it's supposed to be about music anyway;)
Love that song. One of my favorites is " promised Land" by Springsteen.

on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad)
"The Promised Land"

On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving 'cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge

The dogs on Main Street howl 'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man