• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

secular cd's, how do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by 1bad350, Aug 4, 2002.

1. 1bad350

1bad350 New Member

+0
    hello guys and gals..

this is my first post to this awesome forum, i am so glad i found it, as I have no christian friends, and i can finally talk to other christians about how i feel.

anyways what do you guys think about owning secular cds? i currently own about 120 cds from hard rock, to rap-core. I am going to burn them all probably tommorow, almost like a little ceremony, as i try to eradicate all the things that help to limit my relationship to God. I have been in a state of only coasting as a christian for like the last few years, and I forget how great it used to feel, when i was more devoted to God.

I am going to be attending a small baptist university with 500 students this comming school year and hope to make lots of freinds. could some of you pray for me as i have for some reason or another became really shy since grade 10, and find it hard to make friends.

Well thats about it for know... thanks

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. jko

jko Master Chief using the Stargate!

+16
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    what burn them? what ones do you have... i may be interested.. its not wrong to have secular music, unless the lyrics are bad, or against God....

3. 1bad350

1bad350 New Member

+0
    i may not burn them all, but the ones that get me thinking too much about sex, or get me depressed, like slipknot, limp bizkit and stuff.

4. jko

jko Master Chief using the Stargate!

+16
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    slipknot is kinda cool,, my ex broke mine when she was on one of her physco trips

5. coolhandluke

coolhandluke *a princess*

+9
    Calvinist
    Well, first off, welcome to the forums! :)

On to the secular music thing. I, personally, have no problem with secular music. Over the last year, I almost came to the decision to get rid of all of my secular music. I decided not too, and I'm very glad I made that decision. The only reason I began thinking maybe I should, was because a few of the people I really respect as Christians, don't listen to secular music. I can understand why they don't, but it's not for me, I guess you would say. Listening to secular music doesn't interfere with my relationship with God in any way. I did get rid of a few of my secular cds, that had some very anti-Christ lyrics, those being my Tool and A Perfect Circle cds. I was saddened to do that, because Maynard is one of the musicians I respect most, but their lyrics were just not something I felt comfortable supporting. A lot of the secular music I listen to, helps bring me closer to God. It makes me think, question why I believe things, teaches me something. It makes me reflect on how amazing God is that he can give people such wonderful gifts to make such beautiful sounds. And then, I also have a few shallow, bubblegum pop, cds, that are just there to entertain me. ;) I mostly listen to Christian bands. The majority of what I own is secular though. I have around 200 secular cds, and around 70 Christian cds. All of my favorite bands, besides my all-time favorite band, are Christian. The mass majority of the time, you'll find a Christian cd in both my car cd player, and my cd player at my house. But not always.

Basically, I think it's a personal choice. Some people need to listen to only Christian music, some don't. I know a few people that don't need to listen to some of the stuff they do. One in particular. He has a faith in Christ, but he's easily influenced by the music he listens to, and the bands he hangs out with, and most of them are very anti-God. It makes him waver in his faith a lot. I think most blantantly anti-God lyrics are bad to listen to, because I don't think that we as Christians should be supporting something like that.

Okay, I'm just rambling. So...that's it.

-katie

6. 1bad350

1bad350 New Member

+0
    thanks for that reply coolhandluke. i think i should really get rid of most of my cds, becasuse im like your friend, its almost like the music starts to control me sometimes, and i cant help it. it brings me bad thoughts and directs me away from what i feel the lord has planned for me.

7. coolhandluke

coolhandluke *a princess*

+9
    Calvinist
    well, i think that's awesome that you're willing to make that sacrifice since you know that it's in the way of God's will for your life! a lot of people i know, wouldn't be willing to make that sacrifice, even if they felt God telling them to do it.

-katie

8. nyj

nyj Goodbye, my puppy

+1,247
    Catholic
    If you're going to get rid of your CDs, rather than burning them, take them to a local store that re-sells used CDs, sell them to them and then donate the money to a local foodbank.

9. a'miepje

a'miepje Member

+2
    Christian
    if you feel God asking of you to destroy them.....destroy them.

there is secular music out there thats really bad. why give them away or sell them...where they can be a temptation or leading others into sin.
    I'd say destroy them.

I'm not saying secular music is bad. it depends on the lyrics and the atmosphere of the band etc IMO.
    Myself i listen to christian music 98% of the time. why? cuz I like worshipping God and listening to christian music, lyrics that are gloryfying Him brings me closer to Him. I dont have the desire at all to listen to secular music or even to turn the radio on.

10. a'miepje

a'miepje Member

+2
    Christian
    oh and welcome aboard!! :D

11. DeleseRose

DeleseRose DeleseRose

+192
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Certain bonds needs to b broken when we decide it's time 4 growth. Music such as hard core metal and heavy metal(artists such as danzig etc..) music comes with demonic presence and they need 2 b burne. I suggests u look over some of the books u have and Do u have any cult insignia, whether u see it in that was or not, those need to be gotten rid of as well. I am very sceptical when it comes to heavy metal music. Please reply.

And i will say a prayer 4 u. Also welcome 2 the forum. :)

12. 1bad350

1bad350 New Member

+0
    rose232 thanks for the reply, most of my cds dont have any such markings, but i think slipknot does, and once when i was really depressed i listened to that cd almost 24\7 because it made me feel sorry for myself, and for some reason i enjoyed that. however, it only made me more depressed so it has to go.

13. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    I agree with you and I also would like to add that 'love songs' can also open people for adultery. Music is a way to set ideas in our minds.

14. Little Sheep

Little Sheep New Member

+0
    Just wondered if this would be better placed in the forum re books & music? I recall a POD thread being moved to a more appropriate place earlier yet this is still here...

15. Divinus

Divinus Member

+0
    Personally, I don't actually own much Christian music. Sad to say, I've yet to find any that isn't so...sugary that I can't stand to listen to it! I think maybe I've been looking in the wrong places though, as I was looking in a Christian bookstore I dislike for being all sugar-and-water and failing to engage with real issues, so its unlikely I'd find music to my taste around there :) I want to find some of those really cool hymn-songs they play in (excuse me) black churches - at least thats the impression I've got from the TV. The only name I know is of the London Community Gospel Choir though.

I don't think that music - any music - is intrinsically bad. But there are some lyrics which are very anti-god, which I would not feel comfortable listening to. That said, I've always been quite keen on Metallica :)

If you personally feel that a certain type of music is wrong for you, then I reckon you should go with that:

Romans 14:14-15 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for any one who thinks it unclean. If your brother is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died.

-Divinus