Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A private Christian school in Oklahoma allegedly expelled a second grader and cut ties with her family after she told a female classmate that she had a crush on her.

The student’s mom, Delanie Shelton, told NBC News that she received a call Jan. 21 from the Rejoice Christian School in Owasso, just outside Tulsa, telling her that she had to pick up her 8-year-old daughter, Chloe, after an “incident on the playground.”

Shelton said when she arrived at the school, Vice Principal Kelli Owens asked her how she feels “about girls liking girls.”

“I said, ‘Well, if I'm being honest with you, I think it's OK for girls to like girls,’ and I mean, she looked like disgusted and surprised at my answer,” Shelton said.

A private Christian school in Oklahoma allegedly expelled a second grader and cut ties with her family after she told a female classmate that she had a crush on her.

The student’s mom, Delanie Shelton, told NBC News that she received a call Jan. 21 from the Rejoice Christian School in Owasso, just outside Tulsa, telling her that she had to pick up her 8-year-old daughter, Chloe, after an “incident on the playground.”

Shelton said when she arrived at the school, Vice Principal Kelli Owens asked her how she feels “about girls liking girls.”

“I said, ‘Well, if I'm being honest with you, I think it's OK for girls to like girls,’ and I mean, she looked like disgusted and surprised at my answer,” Shelton said.
She said Principal Rita Woolf asked her where Chloe learned “this kind of language about the word ‘gay,’” to which Shelton said she responded by noting that gay couples are represented in many kids’ television shows, adding, “unless you completely shelter your children, it's just part of life.”

Shelton said the school officials told her to take her daughter home and not to bring her back the next day. When they got home, Shelton said Chloe started crying and told her that a teacher said, “The Bible says that you can only marry a man, and you can only have kids with a man, and it's a sin for girls to like girls, and it's not in the Bible, and it's not OK in God's eyes.”

“She was crying and just asking me if God still loved her, and, you know, if she was wrong for feeling the way that she does,” Shelton added.

Second grade girl expelled from Christian school over girl crush, mom says

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sad story.

Everyone is a sinner, and everyone needs Christ, and only Christ can actually turn a sinner around. Men cannot save us -- not ever.

So, therefore, any church or christian school that expels a person for doing something they think wrong, when the person isn't teaching the wrong, and hasn't repeatedly broken the rules of the school or church, but is just there as a member or student -- a church or school then sending them away is clearly failing to live up to Christ's teaching that He came to save sinners, and He ate with sinners, and He did not tell sinners to go away.

So, even before you figure out any particular new rules about this or that, there is this higher rule we are to follow. His way. We teach the gospel, and then Christ does the saving.

Therefore our judgements as churches or christians schools to reject someone, any attempts to dispense ultimate justice of total rejection -- justice of our own devise -- are always wrong.

So, a school or church ought to welcome everyone that doesn't actually disrupt the meeting/teaching.

She said Principal Rita Woolf asked her where Chloe learned “this kind of language about the word ‘gay,’” to which Shelton said she responded by noting that gay couples are represented in many kids’ television shows, adding, “unless you completely shelter your children, it's just part of life.”

Shelton said the school officials told her to take her daughter home and not to bring her back the next day. When they got home, Shelton said Chloe started crying and told her that a teacher said, “The Bible says that you can only marry a man, and you can only have kids with a man, and it's a sin for girls to like girls, and it's not in the Bible, and it's not OK in God's eyes.”

“She was crying and just asking me if God still loved her, and, you know, if she was wrong for feeling the way that she does,” Shelton added.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, a school or church ought to welcome everyone that doesn't actually disrupt the meeting/teaching.

Given the Mother's support for her daughter, I think we can assume that this girl would have become a disruptive presence. Better to deal with a problem than let it become a bigger problem later on.

The school did nothing wrong.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
It's not abuse to be kicked out of a school. You don't have a right to a Christian education. I'm sure there's a public school out there for this girl. They'll even celebrate and encourage her emergent lesbianism.
She's 8 years old.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hate, intolerance, bullying, child abuse ...what great standards

I don't think Christians have the market cornered on intolerance. ;)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Christians have the market cornered on intolerance. ;)
You've got that right!

But I fear not even 1 single intolerant person will be able to make it into heaven. Not even one. There will be zero racists there for instance. But really the problem is the lack of love it shows. Those who do not love do not know God. (this is in 1rst John if you'd like to see it in full context)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not abuse to be kicked out of a school. You don't have a right to a Christian education. I'm sure there's a public school out there for this girl. They'll even celebrate and encourage her emergent lesbianism.

Young girls often have deep friendships complete with hugging, kissing, and sleeping together on overnights, but it hardly means they will grow up to be lesbians.

When my granddaughter was three she 'insisted' that she was a boy, much to the consternation of her mother. This lasted about a month. Now she is a happy five year old girl.

• Agree
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You've got that right!

But I fear not even 1 single intolerant person will be able to make it into heaven. Not even one. There will be zero racists there for instance. But really the problem is the lack of love it shows. Those who do not love do not know God. (this is in 1rst John if you'd like to see it in full context)

Zero tolerance (often unreasonable) by many institutions is a widely accepted way of dealing with what are considered 'beyond the pale' problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it was a preventative treatment for the whole school.
One of the oddest things that happened in my whole life, in a way:

I was always very close to my Grandmother, who would take me every summer growing up for about 2 months, and we'd also spend the entire Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holiday time with her.

She was so central to me.

I knew her like the back of my hand. I use to ask her, for years, often, to tell me stories from before my time, and she did, many times. She would eat slowly, and I'd linger at the table with her.

Ok, years pass, and I'm about 45 years old or so, and I go to visit her, as I did every year (and I think there wasn't even a year when I did not).

And one day, sitting outside somehow the topic of gay marriage came up. She might as well have begun talking about....Neptune's moon Triton. It was...odd.

To make sure this understandable let me explain I'm 100% heterosexual, and everyone in the family knew this very well, as I lived in sin with various women in my 30s, etc. ....

Ok...so this totally irrelevant topic comes outta nowhere. The last thing I could imagine us ever talking about.

So it got to this point:

Me: "But I don't understand, how could gay marriage destroy the family?"

(yeah....it was that weird and totally non-sensical a logic)

And she answered something like that it just would.

As best as I could understand she actually seemed to think that if gay people lived together, it would cause normal man-woman families to break apart (!!??).

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense.... Right? Or does it?

For the life of me, I've never been able to guess any way that makes any sense.

If you paint your house red next door to me, I won't suddenly break my windows or something crazy like that. I wont' go crazy and hurt myself by painting my own house in an eyesore color I'd hate, etc.

How in the world could gay marriage harm traditional families based on love and trust and marriage?????

It's like saying if your neighbor likes rap music, you will suddenly stop liking the (not rap) kind of music you actually like. (!?) (that's a 0% chance of happening)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is utterly disgusting. This is why we need to rethink religious exemptions to the standards (laws) society has set. This is child abuse under the guise of religion. People will always use religion as their excuse for hurting others.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of the oddest things that happened in my whole life, in a way:

I was always very close to my Grandmother, who would take me every summer growing up for about 2 months, and we'd also spend the entire Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holiday time with her.

She was so central to me.

I knew her like the back of my hand. I use to ask her, for years, often, to tell me stories from before my time, and she did, many times. She would eat slowly, and I'd linger at the table with her.

Ok, years pass, and I'm about 45 years old or so, and I go to visit her, as I did every year (and I think there wasn't even a year when I did not).

And one day, sitting outside somehow the topic of gay marriage came up. She might as well have begun talking about....Neptune's moon Triton. It was...odd.

To make sure this understandable let me explain I'm 100% heterosexual, and everyone in the family knew this very well, as I lived in sin with various women in my 30s, etc. ....

Ok...so this totally irrelevant topic comes outta nowhere. The last thing I could imagine us ever talking about.

So it got to this point:

Me: "But I don't understand, how could gay marriage destroy the family?"

(yeah....it was that weird and totally non-sensical a logic)

And she answered something like that it just would.

As best as I could understand she actually seemed to think that if gay people lived together, it would cause normal man-woman families to break apart (!!??).

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense.... Right? Or does it?

For the life of me, I've never been able to guess any way that makes any sense.

If you paint your house red next door to me, I won't suddenly break my windows or something crazy like that. I wont' go crazy and hurt myself by painting my own house in an eyesore color I'd hate, etc.

How in the world could gay marriage harm traditional families based on love and trust and marriage?????

It's like saying if your neighbor likes rap music, you will suddenly stop liking the (not rap) kind of music you actually like. (!?) (that's a 0% chance of happening)

She might have been referring to the general breakdown of traditional marriage, with homosexuals living together openly as a contributing factor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.