• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

searching

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by shawnavery, Sep 27, 2013.

1. shawnavery

shawnavery this space for rent

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I have been looking around my area but can't seem to locate a decent Reformed church. Any suggestions maybe a good online site or such?

John 3:16

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Did you want to post your location? I'm sure we can find a good church for you to visit. (you could always send me a private message if you would prefer)

3. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No problem. I'm in Christiana pa 17509. Any help would be awesome.

4. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
  5. Iosias

Iosias Senior Contributor

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
  6. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Latta Memorial Presbyterian looks to be apart of the PC USA. If I'm not mistaken they tend to be liberal to very liberal but I could be wrong.

Are you near Lancaster? I found more options there.

7. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks ..searching the links provided now

8. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm in Lancaster county about 1 hour from Lancaster city. Guess I'm more in west chester area

9. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I asked over on the Puritan Board. (Churches in Christiana PA?) You are looking for a confessionally Reformed church I assume?

They should be able to help you out.

jm

10. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes Great . thanks

11. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,629
    Presbyterian
    Single
    The OP doesn't say what his beliefs are. West Chester looks to have several Presbyterian churches. Several seem to be PCUSA. One is PCA, Reformed Presbyterian Church.

12. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh sorry guess that would be helpful. I'm recently been studying R.C. Sproul and Calvin. If that helps

13. hedrick

+9,629
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Depends upon your definition. Most of our congregations aren't as liberal as the liberal forum here. But in the Northeast most also wouldn't hold strictly to TULIP and virtually all would ordain women. Someone who is looking for a church that holds fairly strictly to the Westminster standards should probably look elsewhere, though a few congregations are exceptions.

14. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I do find myself holding to TULIP and I admit I'm not much into women ordained but confess I'm not versed into the reason women can or should be ordained.

15. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Mr. Avery,

hedrick is honest and forthright, but he and I are at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to Calvinism and Reformed theology.

That said; I would not recommend attending a liberal, mainline church especially one that denies the doctrines of grace which I consider essential because they touch upon the doctrine of God. I tried to post conservative, confessionally Reformed church groups on page one.

Are you a paedo or credo baptist?

j

16. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I will say paedo Baptist makes more sense to me so far. With that though I am still in a learning stage .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  17. hedrick

+9,629
    Presbyterian
    Single
    You need to get out more :)

I'm part of the sola scriptura branch of liberal theology. The other major branch took away from the Enlightenment the idea that Scripture isn't usable as an authority. Hence they are guided by their general impression of what God wants. I have a couple of good friends who are like that. Then there are the folks for whom God seems to be some kind of metaphor. So really, the spectrum extends waaaay beyond me.

All are present in the PCUSA, but most of our members and officers use Scripture as authority. Just not the same way you do, because we interpret it in accordance with mainline scholarship. The PCUSA has a group that does internal surveys, so I have a reasonable sense for where our members and officers are theologically.

And the spectrum also extends beyond you to the right. As far as I know you're neither dominionist or hyper-Calvinist.

18. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Alright don't make me separate you both :p

19. hedrick

+9,629
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Certainly for Reformed it does. Believers baptism makes perfect sense for groups that emphasize our "decision for Christ." But for those who think it's mostly Christ's decision for us, it seems odd. Reformed Baptist seems like a weird combination to me, though historically there have been some good ones.

By the way, could I ask some of the PCA types to comment on the thread on baptism in the Presbyterian group. Apparently there's a PCA church that thinks it's just fine to rebaptize someone who was baptized as an infant, because he no longer considers it meaningful. I'm kind of shocked, actually. I thought the point of being in the PCA was that you followed Westminster.

20. shawnavery

+17
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I would love to hear more on that myself