searching. need more jesus, less old testament!

william23

Nov 20, 2013
UK
✟700.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
i find the words and life of christ inspiring and fulfilling to follow, and i believe in compassion and tenderness toward our fellow humans. i find his teachings to be applicable in every day life, and they generally give you a good framework to base your life around. but it seems from my years of searching around that too many churches get caught up in the old testament, which i see as a collection of beautiful (if not problematic!) stories that are to be read and learned from, not taken literally and applied thousands of years on from their original contexts... i'd like a church that is closer to the teachings of christ and has a more proactive and positive approach to the world, rather than saying X, Y, and Z are all evil and should be punished. i prefer an environment wherein discussion is encouraged and there is room for doubt and questioning. anyone have an idea of what church or denomination would work for me?

• Prayers
Reactions: drjean

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i'd like a church that is closer to the teachings of christ

To have less of the OT Scriptures is to have less of Jesus.

Indeed. Take it directly from the Master and greatest interpreter of the OT ever! ---

Luke 24:13-27
That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven milesd from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing him.

And he said to them, “What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?”

And they stood still, looking sad. Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?”

And he said to them, “What things?”

And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened. Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see.”

And he said to them, “O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
i find the words and life of christ inspiring and fulfilling to follow, and i believe in compassion and tenderness toward our fellow humans. i find his teachings to be applicable in every day life, and they generally give you a good framework to base your life around. but it seems from my years of searching around that too many churches get caught up in the old testament, which i see as a collection of beautiful (if not problematic!) stories that are to be read and learned from, not taken literally and applied thousands of years on from their original contexts... i'd like a church that is closer to the teachings of christ and has a more proactive and positive approach to the world, rather than saying X, Y, and Z are all evil and should be punished. i prefer an environment wherein discussion is encouraged and there is room for doubt and questioning. anyone have an idea of what church or denomination would work for me?
I agree that you should be allowed to speak freely about your beliefs, but the Old Testament is as important as the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To have less of the OT Scriptures is to have less of Jesus.

Sorry, but that is just a daft thing to say. The OP is not suggesting that the teaching be reduced altogether, but that the balance be shifted towards the NT. Spending less time on the OT would be spending more time on the NT, which is not "to have less of Jesus". To put it another way, if you spend 100% of your teaching on the OT, you wouldn't have more of Jesus than a balanced programme. The only question then is where to place the balance of teaching.

Actually, to the OP, I notice you are in the UK. If you live in Glasgow, then the church I attend sounds like what you are after.

Upvote 0