Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can the one true church justify the Abigensian Crusades, inquisitions and torture it inflicted?
No Christian can justify murder, killing, slaughter in God's name. Yet many attempt to do so when they proclaim that the stories in the old testament that speak of murder, killing, and slaughter in God's name are God given truth to be accepted as holy, just, and good. The same is likely how some may try to justify what cannot be justified in the crusade, the torture of accused people in inquisitions. People who proclaim themselves to be Christian have often in history killed others, even tortured or ordered the torture of enemies, heretics. No one ought to expect perfection in a group of people who are called Christian because if they do they will never find it. No church, new or old is free from human injustice, cruelty, and viciousness. So do not place your trust in people, not in leaders, nor in alleged holy men and women because they all will fail you and you yourself will fail.

• Friendly
Reactions: A Gerbil
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, absolutely - my earthly father, a sworn atheist, is a vegan. However vegetarian, and especially vegan, diets have only become fashionable recently. The fact that the SDA communities have been promoting them for so long implies that they are doing something right. Thanks for your reply.
There are vegan doctors who wrote books about reversing heart disease that have made plant based diets popular. The World Health Organization recently categorized processed meat as a Group 1 carcinogen and red meat as a Group 2 carcinogen. Sometime after this Beyond Meat became an item of interest.

The scientific studies convinced me of vegetarian diets more than the SDA. I think it was God who invited me to a healthier supper.

Churches published their sermon videos online. It is possible to learn from YouTube even if a church will exclude you.

I was touring Israel from time to time. I went to a Messianic Jewish-Christian service with a translator speaking English to radio head phones. It was a beautiful sermon. I went to another Hebrew Christian service in Hebrew. All I can remember is the shofar rams horn trumpets. It was about the time of Rosh Hoshana. It is illegal for a Christian to try to convert a Jew to Christianity in Israel. A group of American Jews went to Israel and unfurled a banner with words about Jesus near a crowded roadway. They were arrested and deported.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I got baptised over three years ago in a church which was adequate, but I stopped attending for personal reasons. I have investigated, and in some cases visited, numerous churches since then - Methodist, Church of Scotland, Anglican, Quakers, three independent churches*, Russian Orthodox, Baptist, Unitarian, The Salvation Army, Gospel Church and even the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses - yet I have not found a single one in which I felt wholly comfortable.

It may be that I am overly fussy, and it's certainly true that in every single congregation I met some lovely, genuine people and often enjoyed the services. I am sure people reading this forum belong to some of those churches, so I will not single any of them out for particular criticism. It amazes me just how diverse the Christian faith is!

I have felt my faith wax and wane over the last two years, and even even chatted with a Jew (online) and a few Muslims, as well as attending a Buddhist temple, however I am utterly convinced that Jesus is the Son of God and that He was God in human form. It struck me, incidentally, how incredibly similar Islam and Judaism are, and it was suggested to me by followers of the other two Abrahamic religions that Christians are polytheistic (because of the Trinity) and guilty of idolatry.

What was it I didn't like about the churches I attended?

- Many were overtly political. I believe that politics has no place in church at all. Whilst society is becoming ever more fractured along political lines - especially here in Scotland where there is the question of independence, EU membership, government austerity, etc - I don't want to hear this in church when I go to worship. Of course help the needy, have food banks, but I don't believe a sermon should ever be used to promote one's political views.

- One of the churches was genuinely polytheistic it would seem, and one no longer seems to be a Christian faith. So that I do not offend anybody, I will not elaborate upon this but will suggest that if you research all of the churches I have mentioned you will see this for yourself.

- One of the churches preached the 'Prosperity Gospel' and requested money at every opportunity, claiming that to reap a (financial) harvest one first needs to sow.

- Some of the churches have dispensed with Christian teachings in order to conform to modern standards.

- Some I just felt didn't appeal to my style of worship - sometimes it was too loud and modern, sometimes it was very antiquated with medieval chanting, incense or a bit bizarre.

There are literally thousands of denominations, so there must be one for me. My beliefs are actually very simple:

1) I believe in God the Father who was personified on this earth as Jesus Christ, His Son. I cannot say I am one hundred percent convinced of the third being, the Holy Spirit, and therefore I am genuinely unsure whether I am Binitarian or Tinitarian. That may exclude me from a number of churches - though I am prepared to be convinced.

2) I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God but that much of it is metaphorical, though obviously much of it is literal.

3) I believe in the teachings of Christ abrogates any conflicting teachings from the Old Testament - which I'd argue should be the case with anybody who calls themselves a Christian.

4) I believe that Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself to atone for the sins of man, and that we are all sinners.

5) I believe that ultimately God is merciful, as shown by the fact He was willing to sacrifice His son (and in effect Himself) for us.

6) I believe that God does not want Christians to pursue money, status and power. I believe that God demonstrated that the ego is the cause of much sin, and that we are to be humble and to serve Him and one another. For example, Jesus was born in a stable, the 'son' of a carpenter, washed His disciples' feet - including Judas' - and suffered an agonising and humiliating death.

Like all people I am flawed and still learning. However I cannot just accept what I am told. Mathew 7:7.

To anybody still reading, thank you and may God bless you!
My wife and I struggled for many years (OK, a decade) looking for a local church. There was one piece of advice that the Pastor at the last church I visited before finding the church we are now members at that really resonated with me. It was so simple, and so true: "There are no perfect Churches."

Chances are you will not find a local church where you agree with 100% of the doctrine. There is a chance that you will not find a church where the singing is always in the style that you prefer. And that's OK.

For me, I grew up attending a non-denominational church. My theology has evolved over the years, beginning with a mostly Baptist slant, and now I would consider myself softly reformed in my theology. So people like R.C. Sproul and John Piper resonate with me.

But here's what's crazy - my wife and I attend, love, and are members at an Assemblies of God Church. I'm not charismatic. I've never spoken in tongues, and I don't think I will. Thankfully this is a more subdued AoG church in that nobody has ever spoken in tongues during the service, and I know for a fact that unless someone was going to interpret it, the Pastor wouldn't allow it.

The worship music is a little more "upbeat" than I prefer.

But all that is OK.

For us, our mindset was not to find a church that we could simply feed off, but to find a church where God could use us. That was our mindset, and I would encourage you to do the same. Finding a local church is about finding a place where you can be edified, encouraged, and used by God to spread His kingdom.

Remember, Jesus is not on the earth anymore - You are literally his representative until He returns. You are the example to everyone around you of who Jesus is.

Look for a local church where you can be edified, encouraged, and where you can use the gifts that the Spirit has given you to His glory.

No church is perfect. And that's OK.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I got baptised over three years ago in a church which was adequate, but I stopped attending for personal reasons. I have investigated, and in some cases visited, numerous churches since then - Methodist, Church of Scotland, Anglican, Quakers, three independent churches*, Russian Orthodox, Baptist, Unitarian, The Salvation Army, Gospel Church and even the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses - yet I have not found a single one in which I felt wholly comfortable.

It may be that I am overly fussy, and it's certainly true that in every single congregation I met some lovely, genuine people and often enjoyed the services. I am sure people reading this forum belong to some of those churches, so I will not single any of them out for particular criticism. It amazes me just how diverse the Christian faith is!

I have felt my faith wax and wane over the last two years, and even even chatted with a Jew (online) and a few Muslims, as well as attending a Buddhist temple, however I am utterly convinced that Jesus is the Son of God and that He was God in human form. It struck me, incidentally, how incredibly similar Islam and Judaism are, and it was suggested to me by followers of the other two Abrahamic religions that Christians are polytheistic (because of the Trinity) and guilty of idolatry.

- Many were overtly political. I believe that politics has no place in church at all. Whilst society is becoming ever more fractured along political lines - especially here in Scotland where there is the question of independence, EU membership, government austerity, etc - I don't want to hear this in church when I go to worship. Of course help the needy, have food banks, but I don't believe a sermon should ever be used to promote one's political views.

- One of the churches was genuinely polytheistic it would seem, and one no longer seems to be a Christian faith. So that I do not offend anybody, I will not elaborate upon this but will suggest that if you research all of the churches I have mentioned you will see this for yourself.

- One of the churches preached the 'Prosperity Gospel' and requested money at every opportunity, claiming that to reap a (financial) harvest one first needs to sow.

- Some of the churches have dispensed with Christian teachings in order to conform to modern standards.

- Some I just felt didn't appeal to my style of worship - sometimes it was too loud and modern, sometimes it was very antiquated with medieval chanting, incense or a bit bizarre.

There are literally thousands of denominations, so there must be one for me. My beliefs are actually very simple:

1) I believe in God the Father who was personified on this earth as Jesus Christ, His Son. I cannot say I am one hundred percent convinced of the third being, the Holy Spirit, and therefore I am genuinely unsure whether I am Binitarian or Tinitarian. That may exclude me from a number of churches - though I am prepared to be convinced.

2) I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God but that much of it is metaphorical, though obviously much of it is literal.

3) I believe in the teachings of Christ abrogates any conflicting teachings from the Old Testament - which I'd argue should be the case with anybody who calls themselves a Christian.

4) I believe that Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself to atone for the sins of man, and that we are all sinners.

5) I believe that ultimately God is merciful, as shown by the fact He was willing to sacrifice His son (and in effect Himself) for us.

6) I believe that God does not want Christians to pursue money, status and power. I believe that God demonstrated that the ego is the cause of much sin, and that we are to be humble and to serve Him and one another. For example, Jesus was born in a stable, the 'son' of a carpenter, washed His disciples' feet - including Judas' - and suffered an agonising and humiliating death.

Like all people I am flawed and still learning. However I cannot just accept what I am told. Mathew 7:7.

Have you tried the Free Church of Scotland?

• Informative
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, we live in an era where many people who go to church see the experience as a spectacle put on for their enjoyment. I think the cause is cultural. People go to concerts, or rent movies online, and then they want to give a rating. "Did the big performance live up to my expectations?"

The reality is that we should be going to church with a humble and teachable attitude. How can we bring our own lives in line with the word of God? What changes do we need to make in our hearts and our lives? How will we serve the church community so that the Holy Spirit will grow amongst the people?

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm still reading. You're welcome!

First, do you look for a church to be comfortable or to be challenged with God's Word?

Second, you might look for a church with the word "Reformed" in the name. I'm a retired pastor in the Christian Reformed Church. Some of our congregations have other names, though. We would welcome you in our CRC. We are Protestant and were founded in the 1500s in reaction to the excesses of the Roman Catholics of the time, who still have put a lot of tradition alongside the Bible (Mary, purgatory, and other doctrines). Our congregations range from very traditional in music to very contemporary.

Third, I was christened a Methodist, grew up in a liberal separate church, became a Christian in a Baptist church, attended a cult for a while, and then became a student at Calvin College (our college, now a university). I struggled with all of my traditions' beliefs compared to the Reformed faith and concluded that those beliefs took the Bible on its own assumptions instead of imposing on the Bible someone's ideas, the way the cult, Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Mormons do.

Fourth, I'm putting you on my prayer list that God will guide you to the church in which he can use you for his honor.

Fifth, the Bible assumes that the Holy Spirit is a Person of God along with the Father and Jesus (Ephesians 4:30; John 14:15-20; 15:16-17; 16:12-15). He can be grieved and is sent from the Father and Jesus to us to give us a new birth and to be our Lawyer-Friend. God is one God revealed as three Persons, a mystery no one can fully understand but still revealed to us in the Scriptures. (Read the whole Book of John for the Trinity.)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello Gerbil,

Good to meet you. I would have to say I've never experienced much politics in any church. Perhaps it's just the area you're in.

I have experienced that in a Pentecostal church. If the leaders have unchallenged, unconvicted, greedy hearts, one of the fruits of the sin nature, nothing is going to be right.

Loud, modern worship is Charismatic/Pentecostal in my experience.

What about a larger Baptist or Free Church of Scotland?

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, absolutely - my earthly father, a sworn atheist, is a vegan. However vegetarian, and especially vegan, diets have only become fashionable recently. The fact that the SDA communities have been promoting them for so long implies that they are doing something right. Thanks for your reply.

In the Bible, there were forbidden meats, but not all meat was forbidden. Eating meat is not a requirement either.

Peter's Vision
Acts 10
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

Acts 11
1 The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him 3 and said, “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.”

4 Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. 6 I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. 7 Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’

8 “I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’

9 “The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’ "

My mother's relatives who didn't smoke lived to be in their nineties. They ate meat. My mother smoked for some years, ate meat and lots of green vegetables, and lived to be ninety-three. She was not a Christian and never taught her six children to pray. She claimed that it's okay to tell white lies. I believe a lie is a lie. It gets confusing when you don't know if someone is telling the truth.

My father, sadly, was a staunch atheist.

I must sound awful, but I prefer more traditional worship, there's something more fitting and dignified about singing hymns as opposed to the contemporary band and the hand waving and fist pumping...

I'm with you but it seems as though most services are changing. In my town the wonderful old churches in town are moving to the suburbs and have loud music that seems more for entertaining and the congregations are much larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I pray God guides you to your place. He called me to fellowship in the Catholic Church almost 40 years ago and I love the worship. I also cherish the knowledge that Jesus is present, bodily, with us through the Eucharist.

God bless
Yarddog

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just a thought: Why not work towards bringing the Love of Christ, in your own particular way, to the Church that meets in your area?
I can't help but think that the running around looking for a service that makes you feel right is subversive to what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Just to offer a bit of perspective: incense and chanting were, without a doubt, characteristic of the worship environment that the Lord Himself had been raised in. In fact, as the Word of God, He is the Author of such religious practices. That's all I can say about that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you to everybody who has replied. You have all made me feel very welcome, and the good news is that I will be attending a church service this Sunday. Ironically it is a newly established church very close to my home, which I learned about yesterday. They are active in my community and I will be willing to compromise - as many have said, there is no such thing as a 'perfect church'.

God bless you all.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you want from a Church? I wanted to meet like minded folks, learn new things and celebrate my faith. This is why I joined. I recommend you make a list of reasons why you love church.
How many churches are there in your area?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you want from a Church? I wanted to meet like minded folks, learn new things and celebrate my faith. This is why I joined. I recommend you make a list of reasons why you love church.
How many churches are there in your area?

Within a five mile radius there are probably more than one hundred.

I want to set time apart to worship God and thank the Lord for His grace. I want to explore the Bible. I would like to fellowship with people who are true believers who realise there's more to this life than materialism and entertainment.

Upvote 0