Does God have "The One" out there and waiting for the right time for us to meet?

• Yes, I believe there is someone out there God created for each one of us.

• No, I think that there is a variety of people you could have god-centered relationships with.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Micah Bremer

The Musing Marine
Nov 11, 2020
Washington
Visit site
✟8,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This has been an interesting year for all of us. Christian fellowship is hard to find now, especially depending on where you live (referring to the United States in particular). With this pandemic raging on, I have a question for all of you.

Is there "the One" out there somewhere?

I will define this. Obviously, we are in a young adult forum. Most young Christian adults are waiting (most of us understandably impatiently) to find that amazing girl or guy God has created for us to meet and marry. While there are probably thousands of incredible people out there our age, do you believe there is one person in particular who God created for you? (Thinking about the story of Isaac and Rebekah in the Bible.) Or do you think that there are several out there who all could be that person, but each would result in a slightly different life and future for you both?

As we are all still adjusting to social distancing and face masks (which by the way girls, doesn't help us guys out in the slightest), we are all in the same boat. However, we single folks have it harder than everyone else before us - it's not like we can just go to church and start meeting people... Perhaps God is showing us all that He will bring us together in His own perfect timing.

Let me know what you all think in the poll. Hoping for a lively discussion below!

P.S If the One for me is reading this, I am gonna find you soon. I'm stuck on a Marine Corps base, so kinda hard to search at the moment.

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My answer is simply yes. I think there's a very good possibility that God does have a 'one' out there for each one of us. I also believe that the 'one' can turn out to be multiple 'ones' as He and I make changes in the ways we choose to follow Him. I still firmly believe that He wants what's best for us. However, the road to that often isn't as straight as we'd like it to be.

I had every indication from the Holy Spirit that He would send me to California to find a bride. Then recently, I decided to make a significant life change regarding how I will use finances. I agreed to the Lord that I would live well below my resources and means. And according to that, He canceled my trip to California, informing me that the potential wife He had in mind for me would not agree to living a modest lifestyle like I had vowed to the Lord for myself. In my own estimation, He saved me from a lot of time and energy revealing that to me.

So now I'm waiting again. Waiting for the first thing He promised and then for the latter (a partner)
I realize I've blown thru at least half a dozen women that would have been the 'one'. Some due to my own sin and stupidity and some others thru incompatibility or whatever else. But the bottom line I always go back to is the fact that God is good and God is faithful.

• Agree
Reactions: Micah Bremer
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oops. I didn't read the location of where this thread was. 'Young Adults'. I just saw it on the side bar, clicked, and started posting. My bad.

Edit: Oh well, I'm going to add this for good measure..

(Proverbs 18:22) gives the idea of a man walking along a trail and finding a coin or other valuable commodity on the ground. In other words, the application behind it is to be busy going about your daily affairs; not necessarily spending your time and effort attempting to find a partner. That's what I was always taught, anyway. It certainly brings less stress and obligation to the process when I think about it that way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Micah Bremer

The Musing Marine
Nov 11, 2020
Washington
Visit site
✟8,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oops. I didn't read the location of where this thread was. 'Young Adults'. I just saw it on the side bar, clicked, and started posting. My bad.

Edit: Oh well, I'm going to add this for good measure..

(Proverbs 18:22) gives the idea of a man walking along a trail and finding a coin or other valuable commodity on the ground. In other words, the application behind it is to be busy going about your daily affairs; not necessarily spending your time and effort attempting to find a partner. That's what I was always taught, anyway. It certainly brings less stress and obligation to the process when I think about it that way.

I find it really interesting that you brought up this point in particular. I once heard it said, "Run as fast as you can towards Jesus, and if you see someone running next to you, introduce yourself."

Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it really interesting that you brought up this point in particular. I once heard it said, "Run as fast as you can towards Jesus, and if you see someone running next to you, introduce yourself."

Thanks for posting!
Woah, thanks for posting that too. You're welcome!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Funny I have heard this notion of the "one" debunked by both Christian and secular sources.

1) Check out "How Romanticism Ruined Love" from the School of Life on You-tube and other videos from Allain de Botton. He argues this notion comes from the era of Romanticism.

2) Similarly I have heard sermons by a Coptic Orthodox priest I like to watch who says something very similar.

• Informative
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been an interesting year for all of us. Christian fellowship is hard to find now, especially depending on where you live (referring to the United States in particular). With this pandemic raging on, I have a question for all of you.

Is there "the One" out there somewhere?

I will define this. Obviously, we are in a young adult forum. Most young Christian adults are waiting (most of us understandably impatiently) to find that amazing girl or guy God has created for us to meet and marry. While there are probably thousands of incredible people out there our age, do you believe there is one person in particular who God created for you? (Thinking about the story of Isaac and Rebekah in the Bible.) Or do you think that there are several out there who all could be that person, but each would result in a slightly different life and future for you both?

As we are all still adjusting to social distancing and face masks (which by the way girls, doesn't help us guys out in the slightest), we are all in the same boat. However, we single folks have it harder than everyone else before us - it's not like we can just go to church and start meeting people... Perhaps God is showing us all that He will bring us together in His own perfect timing.

Let me know what you all think in the poll. Hoping for a lively discussion below!

P.S If the One for me is reading this, I am gonna find you soon. I'm stuck on a Marine Corps base, so kinda hard to search at the moment.
I think that we are so bad at pursuing God's will for our lives, ... that He has any number of possible mates for us out there ...

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This is a very hard question for me to answer right now; could you have put "Both" as an option on the poll? I really do think God intervenes in all our affairs, especially when we willingly turn them over to Him; as such, "The One" is a perfectly realistic idea. On the other hand, it's not so much about the individual person, so much as the commitment, that makes a relationship what it is. To use a couple names as examples, let's say there's Leslie & Ann. They are both very devout Christians, they both would be very good influences on me & I on them, and they both work in the same place I do.

I really don't think this is unrealistic to imagine. Why wouldn't there be multiple options, if we see the commitment as important, and see different people who are equally good influences as equally good options? Would God really have just one of them selected for us? Or is there a certain level of discernment & effort on our part?

I don't know answers, and I don't know if we'll ever truly know in this life. But @Micah Bremer requested a lively conversation, so here's my attempt to keep one going!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.. great woman of God talking to young people saying "maybe your the one".

But thats not what you meant. Hard to say yes to this. God does not go against our will. So if you fell in love and then prayed "is she or he the one". He would just say "what ever you want". To seek Him before all this.. yes He can lead you but in the end.. it will always be your his/her choice.

Kissed this one girl once.. it was late.. the next day. Man what in the world did I do. So we sat in this truck and was telling her in the nicest way I could that.. I should not have kissed her. That went on for awhile to where I was now saying "I don't want you now or ever". In each one she came back with "that doesn't mean God can't put us together". Yeah.. wasn't long after that her friend came up to me and said "She wants you to be her first one".. I just turned and said..well it just came out "I rebuke you in Jesus name" and said said "ok ok". Then that was it.

Point is BOTH make the choice. I will also say I know a well known man that wow.. was about prayer ministry and him and this girl (woman over 21) would pray together all the time. One night she left and the lord said "she will be your wife". He was shocked because both weren't thinking about that at all. Yet the lord ALSO talked to her. It is what they both wanted. So God will not just tell the one. ooh THE ONE!

What I believe... so yes.

• Agree
Upvote 0