Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Does the seal of confession matter even after the person who confessed is dead? Like, if they gave a priest information, could he share it after the person died? I need solid info. Please cite source earlier the better. Asking for a project.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the seal of confession matter even after the person who confessed is dead? Like, if they gave a priest information, could he share it after the person died? I need solid info. Please cite source earlier the better. Asking for a project.
Did you mean to post this in the Catholic political sub forum? You’ll get more replies in the Catholic main forum. You can contact staff and they will move it for you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The basic canon to look at is 983.

The best source for canon law is Ed Peters. Sadly, he is still working on a compendium on the seal of confession. See here for his main page. Some day he will get that section updated and it will be the cat's pajamas.

For now, here are the relevant canons:
Can. 983 §1. The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason.

§2. The interpreter, if there is one, and all others who in any way have knowledge of sins from confession are also obliged to observe secrecy.

Can. 984 §1. A confessor is prohibited completely from using knowledge acquired from confession to the detriment of the penitent even when any danger of revelation is excluded.

§2. A person who has been placed in authority cannot use in any manner for external governance the knowledge about sins which he has received in confession at any time.
I'm no canon lawyer, so I'm not interpreting it, but it looks to me like it is inviolable. Check with a real canon lawyer though. Ed Peters even. He might be happy to respond.

• Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The basic canon to look at is 983.

The best source for canon law is Ed Peters. Sadly, he is still working on a compendium on the seal of confession. See here for his main page. Some day he will get that section updated and it will be the cat's pajamas.

For now, here are the relevant canons:
I'm no canon lawyer, so I'm not interpreting it, but it looks to me like it is inviolable. Check with a real canon lawyer though. Ed Peters even. He might be happy to respond.
That’s what I was looking for. Thanks Chevy.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you mean to post this in the Catholic political sub forum? You’ll get more replies in the Catholic main forum. You can contact staff and they will move it for you.
Thanks Michie, I did not. But Chevy gave me the info I was looking for. Next time I need some technical info I’ll post in the correct forum.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Michie, I did not. But Chevy gave me the info I was looking for. Next time I need some technical info I’ll post in the correct forum.
Oh! No worries. I just wanted to make you aware if you were seeking more info. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0