Scrupolsity & Fearing Satan

Jan 18, 2015
✟19,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I googled scrupolsity since I had never heard of it before...

and WOW. I am crippled by these exact issues but never had a name for it.. no way to explain myself or how I felt to anyone.

So thank you for that, anyway.. wish I had answers for you or myself. I guess it's nice to know I'm not a lone in this.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone ever had scrupolsity? And a fear of Satan getting into you mixed with delusions? How can I know God has my back in this and will never abandon me?
It's good to have a daily Bible reading and prayer life ('Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path' [Psalm 119.105]; 'Sanctify them through Thy truth; Thy Word is truth' [John 17.17].)

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Read God's word and trust Him in the storm. He tells us not to be afraid and to know that he will never leave us nor forsake us.
Remember when Peter walked on water, but immediately sank when he took his eyes off Jesus? Remember that Jesus grabbed Peter and pulled him up?
Don’t fear. Trust God in everything. In this life there will be many troubles. Do not fear, Jesus has overcome the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolfe
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scrupulosity can be devastating to a person. If you have it, it means your inner perception of what pleases and displeases God is nascent and your sinful nature is going to keep hammering you with it until you know and believe the truth (which will be ever-increasing, but there are corners to turn).

The solution is to believe what you read in Scripture—and to turn knowledge of Scripture into belief, you need to obey the more straightforward commands of God (as understood by mainstream Christians, not you).

It would be extremely helpful to regularly meet with an elder-type and directly ask them those questions that end up plaguing you that you believe will seem silly or foolish to someone else. "Have I failed God in my stewardship of the earth because I accidentally left the basement faucet running for three days?"

It should be someone who understands the difficulties of mental illness or an accepting and patient person. This should be a highly effective way to adopt a right and solid way of understanding how God sees the issues you deal with. A quick summary might be: he cares more about you than what you did—and more about what direction you are going than where you're at. He has never left or forsaken anyone, so you don't need to worry about that. It is people that reject him who have the problem. If you're willing to keep going to him, it is impossible to be separated from him.

Getting this kind of guidance from an elder-type is a part of discipleship and something that every Christian should go through and continue in some fashion for a long time. It is a super fast track to having a correct foundation of understanding and belief of who God is and what God is really like.

Believe me, very few have a correct understanding in their hearts. For example, if they struggle with why God was so harsh in the OT, they aren't the right person to acquire a perspective from (although they might be a good source of factual Biblical information). Unfortunately, it depends on finding a good elder-type who, ideally, would be someone with a gentle spirit who has been studying the Bible and successfully being obedient to the Lord for a decade or more. One option is to have a couple people like this so you won't be tied to one person's perspective. (There are also some people without all that experience whom God has gifted to be able to do this. I have seen it most in people who were raised by discerning, but not condemning, Bible-believing parents—the kind that might have home-schooled their kids.)

Upvote 0