Scripture vs Popcorn

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find in the debate over why reading the scriptures makes people sleepy, it is important to note that it is an important kind of food for our inner beings.

Popcorn on the other hand can be delicious, but lacking in substance, leaving one hungry soon afterwards.

However, we should seek the substance that does not spoil, the food that we eat and do not go hungry, the water we drink and do not thirst again if Jesus is to believed .. at least I think He is to be.

So what do you think? What is the food? The drink? The substance? and how do you feed the invisible part of you ... so it grows in a Godly direction?

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I find in the debate over why reading the scriptures makes people sleepy, it is important to note that it is an important kind of food for our inner beings.

Popcorn on the other hand can be delicious, but lacking in substance, leaving one hungry soon afterwards.

However, we should seek the substance that does not spoil, the food that we eat and do not go hungry, the water we drink and do not thirst again if Jesus is to believed .. at least I think He is to be.

So what do you think? What is the food? The drink? The substance? and how do you feed the invisible part of you ... so it grows in a Godly direction?

I think a good remedy for falling asleep during Bible reading is to eat sunflower seeds while doing it...it is very difficult to fall asleep with a mouthful of seeds. We used this technique on a road trip from California to Montana...to not fall asleep at the wheel. Interestingly enough, the Word is the Seed of Elohim, so if you do use this technique...you will be consuming a natural seed and a spiritual Seed in the same moment!

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Years ago there was an interesting gathering of very bright philosophically minded people that came together at a small NH store. One of the people, Bill, was a devout Christian and became a mentor of sorts in my philosophic pursuits. I well recall his advising that philosophy and scripture should be read not as a novel but rather with a certain intellectual and meditative care. So that one reads and "feeds" on small sections at a time for careful study...though at other times there is a place for reading through just to gain a general overview.

Many years later I began to attend a different church in which the Pastor was given to expository teaching with only the occasional topical subject. At present he is in the book of John, he began with John 1:1 in 2016 and today 4/21/2019 he is at John 17:1-5. Perhaps the point is that the scriptures like fine food and drink are so very rich that such requires small portions to be adequately savored.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am reminded when Jesus said "my food is to do the will of the Father"

this reads into the difference between God's realm, and ours.

In this realm, we need energy before doing work.

In God's realm, the work itself invigorates ... because God does it with us.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0