Scripture Twisting

From whom have you heard Scripture twisting in your life?

• cults

• secular culture

• Christians

• Other (specify in reply)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What are the scriptures that you have most often heard quoted out of context or misapplied to a situation that they don't speak to? And how? and where?

As for me, Philippians 4:8 as a morality in media verse (pretty much everywhere, even in a Bible commentary) 1 Corinthians 14:33 and 40 as statements on housekeeping, finance, study, work, or life in general (quoted by my former homeschool schoolwork to point out why we should always strive to keep everything around us "ordered," also quoted there to state that anything that confuses you at any point in life is inherently evil and that we must live simple lives)

Many others but I can't think of them now. One verse that I can't remember the reference of, also, about "vain imaginations" was used by an author of an article I read to declare all fictional works, since they are "imagined," as at least suspect and at worst satanically inspired. And there was one from the Psalms that has been used to support KJV Only teachings.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I voted in this order:

1. Cults -- I think they twist the most, since they use "Bibles" too.
2. Secular culture -- but cant really fault them since they dont have the Spirit of Truth
3. Christians -- they do so too, but usu they are sincerely wrong. egs? Preterism, limited atonement, cessationism, salvation thru water bap. Of cse, defenders of these topics wld say that the other party has twisted scripture.

Upvote 0

lostthenfound

Justified by Faith Alone
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟136.00
I recently have been discussing "scripture twisting" with an Atheist (his website is http://www.christianityexposed.com). He completely ignores hermenutics. Says the Bible states that the earth is flat (because it says the earth has four corners). Says the Bible claims the sun rotates around the sun. He totally ignores the art and science of biblical interpretation.

Upvote 0

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have been talking with some people that call themselves Christians, but have done awful things as far as the twisting of the scriptures. Right now we are discussing Matthew 15:1-28, and they are saying that because Jesus mentioned that the Pharisees were not killing disobedient children, that his message was that any child who is disobedient to their parents should be killed. They were also in praise of the men who brutally beat that young boy for supposedly not paying enough attention during Bible class. Of course, it could be vehemently aruged whether or not they are really Christians, but they say that they are, and that is between them and God. Still though, I find it so crazy that people who want to wear Christ's name would twist things around in such a horrendous fashion. Bleck.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
How about "all of the above."

There are people who can't stand that God knows more than them, and they take his word and twist it around so it's meaning matches their opinion.

It's hard to be a Christian, because you have to give up yourself and live for God. It's a lot easier to follow a set of rules some men made up twisting scripture to back up their rules.

A lot of people who call themselves by Christ's name do this, too.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lots of scripture twisting, lots of sources. The scripture twist that rankles most is:

2Pe 1:20 -21
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

First, only verse 20 gets quoted: Second, it is not translated from the Greek but from the Latin Vulgate (the Greek does not include or even imply "interpretation" at any point): Third, the one quoting it almost always tries to make it say that this is a prohibition on private study of the scriptures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
The scripture twisting that erks me is from "christians" who, for the sake of explaining thier actions, say,"i have to work out my own salvation.

Philippians 2:12 ¶ Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

the word "work" comes from the Greek word "katergazomai" meaning to accomplish or finish. (not do as you see fit)
Paul was telling them to continue even though he wasn't there.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I voted for all of them but what is so said is peole voted they have seen more christian do it than any of the other church I picked other b/c I have had an encouter with a person who belief in certain reglion but that I have seen and known of this person they aren't by their actions but that is between God and the person(person isn't apart of the forum though)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What are the scriptures that you have most often heard quoted out of context or misapplied to a situation that they don't speak to? And how? and where?

As for me, Philippians 4:8 as a morality in media verse (pretty much everywhere, even in a Bible commentary) 1 Corinthians 14:33 and 40 as statements on housekeeping, finance, study, work, or life in general (quoted by my former homeschool schoolwork to point out why we should always strive to keep everything around us "ordered," also quoted there to state that anything that confuses you at any point in life is inherently evil and that we must live simple lives)

Many others but I can't think of them now. One verse that I can't remember the reference of, also, about "vain imaginations" was used by an author of an article I read to declare all fictional works, since they are "imagined," as at least suspect and at worst satanically inspired. And there was one from the Psalms that has been used to support KJV Only teachings.

No doubt ... Christians , christians , CHRISTIANS !!!

And , usually the ones who demand that the Scriptures are to be looked into to make sure that they are used correctly are the worst - far worse than newly reborn Christians who know very little of the Scriptures .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Where two or more are gathered ..."

Where other passages are twisted , people take this to a whole new level . First , it is used to support a "command" to "go to church" - it doesn't . It has nothing to do with any need to meet together . And , people are so into this doctrine that they have allowed the passage to be changed . More is *not* correct . The passage states "two or three" and *not* "two or more" . Even the literalists don't say a word about the misquote making them accomplices to the twisting . It amazes me to no end that they say nothing ( so far that I have seen ) . They say nothing because they agree with the doctrine and don't care how it is promoted .

There are a few others that come to mind with which many agree and is just amazing to me .

Upvote 0

ChristianSoldier2

Sep 17, 2006
Visit site
✟7,733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I voted 1, 2 and 3, but I feel that 1 presents the most danger to the unsaved, because they are so proactive in their erroneous beliefs.

One such case in point being the Mormons, who need to be re-educated in love, which is no easy task for such a works based group.

We need prayer warriors for these folks.

Blessings all around.

Bruce
christiansoldiers.neodemesne.com

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.