• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Scripture Twisting

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Susan, Jul 14, 2002.

1. cults

2. secular culture

3. Christians

4. Other (specify in reply)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan

Susan 退屈させた1 つ (bored one)

+120
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What are the scriptures that you have most often heard quoted out of context or misapplied to a situation that they don't speak to? And how? and where?

As for me, Philippians 4:8 as a morality in media verse (pretty much everywhere, even in a Bible commentary) 1 Corinthians 14:33 and 40 as statements on housekeeping, finance, study, work, or life in general (quoted by my former homeschool schoolwork to point out why we should always strive to keep everything around us "ordered," also quoted there to state that anything that confuses you at any point in life is inherently evil and that we must live simple lives)

Many others but I can't think of them now. One verse that I can't remember the reference of, also, about "vain imaginations" was used by an author of an article I read to declare all fictional works, since they are "imagined," as at least suspect and at worst satanically inspired. And there was one from the Psalms that has been used to support KJV Only teachings.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jenna

Jenna Senior Veteran

+179
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I put "other" simply because there was no "all" answer.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    I voted in this order:

1. Cults -- I think they twist the most, since they use "Bibles" too.
    2. Secular culture -- but cant really fault them since they dont have the Spirit of Truth
    3. Christians -- they do so too, but usu they are sincerely wrong. egs? Preterism, limited atonement, cessationism, salvation thru water bap. Of cse, defenders of these topics wld say that the other party has twisted scripture.

4. Susan

+120
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Hmm. Interesting. :scratch:

5. lostthenfound

lostthenfound Justified by Faith Alone

+0
    I recently have been discussing "scripture twisting" with an Atheist (his website is http://www.christianityexposed.com). He completely ignores hermenutics. Says the Bible states that the earth is flat (because it says the earth has four corners). Says the Bible claims the sun rotates around the sun. He totally ignores the art and science of biblical interpretation.

6. Jenna

Jenna Senior Veteran

+179
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I have been talking with some people that call themselves Christians, but have done awful things as far as the twisting of the scriptures. Right now we are discussing Matthew 15:1-28, and they are saying that because Jesus mentioned that the Pharisees were not killing disobedient children, that his message was that any child who is disobedient to their parents should be killed. They were also in praise of the men who brutally beat that young boy for supposedly not paying enough attention during Bible class. Of course, it could be vehemently aruged whether or not they are really Christians, but they say that they are, and that is between them and God. Still though, I find it so crazy that people who want to wear Christ's name would twist things around in such a horrendous fashion. Bleck.

7. ZiSunka

ZiSunka It means 'yellow dog'

+276
    Christian
    How about "all of the above."

There are people who can't stand that God knows more than them, and they take his word and twist it around so it's meaning matches their opinion.

It's hard to be a Christian, because you have to give up yourself and live for God. It's a lot easier to follow a set of rules some men made up twisting scripture to back up their rules.

A lot of people who call themselves by Christ's name do this, too.

8. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Sheep in Wolf's clothing

+1
    Non-Denom
    Lots of scripture twisting, lots of sources. The scripture twist that rankles most is:

2Pe 1:20 -21
    First, only verse 20 gets quoted: Second, it is not translated from the Greek but from the Latin Vulgate (the Greek does not include or even imply "interpretation" at any point): Third, the one quoting it almost always tries to make it say that this is a prohibition on private study of the scriptures.

9. Julie

Julie ONLY JESUS CHRIST SAVES

+3
    Christian
    Amen Thunderman!

10. Susan

+120
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    yeah, it seems those who do Scripture twisting appear as if they want to back up a preconcieved viewpoint.

11. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Sheep in Wolf's clothing

+1
    Non-Denom
    The claim that the Bible says the Earth is flat does not originate with the atheists. That claim originated with the church about 400 years back.

12. wdh

wdh New Member

+0
    The scripture twisting that erks me is from "christians" who, for the sake of explaining thier actions, say,"i have to work out my own salvation.

Philippians 2:12 ¶ Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

the word "work" comes from the Greek word "katergazomai" meaning to accomplish or finish. (not do as you see fit)
    Paul was telling them to continue even though he wasn't there.

13. Blessed-one

Blessed-one a long journey ahead

+169
    Protestant
    Single
    a lot of taking scriptures out of context from people from across all backgrounds.

14. Godslilgurlalways

Godslilgurlalways I am a Child of the King:) Supporter

+587
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I voted for all of them but what is so said is peole voted they have seen more christian do it than any of the other church I picked other b/c I have had an encouter with a person who belief in certain reglion but that I have seen and known of this person they aren't by their actions but that is between God and the person(person isn't apart of the forum though)

15. New_Wineskin

New_Wineskin Contributor

+477
    Non-Denom
    No doubt ... Christians , christians , CHRISTIANS !!!

And , usually the ones who demand that the Scriptures are to be looked into to make sure that they are used correctly are the worst - far worse than newly reborn Christians who know very little of the Scriptures .

16. Forest

Forest Senior Veteran

+83
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I have heard so much scripture twisting in my life, I can't list it all here.

17. bithiah2

bithiah2 Jah is my strength and song!

+278
    Christian
    Private
    money is the root of all evil I Tim 6:10
    when it really means that thelove of money is at the root of all types of evil.

bithiah2

18. New_Wineskin

New_Wineskin Contributor

+477
    Non-Denom
    "Where two or more are gathered ..."

Where other passages are twisted , people take this to a whole new level . First , it is used to support a "command" to "go to church" - it doesn't . It has nothing to do with any need to meet together . And , people are so into this doctrine that they have allowed the passage to be changed . More is *not* correct . The passage states "two or three" and *not* "two or more" . Even the literalists don't say a word about the misquote making them accomplices to the twisting . It amazes me to no end that they say nothing ( so far that I have seen ) . They say nothing because they agree with the doctrine and don't care how it is promoted .

There are a few others that come to mind with which many agree and is just amazing to me .

19. AndreayCard4

AndreayCard4 New Member

+5
    Christian
    Married
    True and interesting...

20. ChristianSoldier2

ChristianSoldier2 New Member

+5
    Non-Denom
    I voted 1, 2 and 3, but I feel that 1 presents the most danger to the unsaved, because they are so proactive in their erroneous beliefs.

One such case in point being the Mormons, who need to be re-educated in love, which is no easy task for such a works based group.

We need prayer warriors for these folks.

Blessings all around.

Bruce
    christiansoldiers.neodemesne.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.